Bus plunge in Uttaradit killing 5, injuring 25

webfact

Bus plunge in Uttaradit killing 5, injuring 25

bus.jpg

UTTARADIT: -- An interprovincial bus plunged off a highway into a 50-metre ravine killing five passengers and injuring 25 others.

The incident happened near Kilometre 350 on the Asian highway in Denchai district of Phrae province.

The bus with about 40 passengers was on the way from Phrae to Uttaradit.

Of the 25 injured, 10 are in serious condition.

The cause of the tragic incident was under police questionings.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bus-plunge-in-uttaradit-killing-5-injuring-25/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-11-22

RIP to the deceased and condolences to their families. I hope the survivors recover well soon and are able to help the police with first hand accounts as to what happened immediately prior to this tragic incident. I didn't see any mention of the time of this happening.

43 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

RIP to the deceased and condolences to their families. I hope the survivors recover well soon and are able to help the police with first hand accounts as to what happened immediately prior to this tragic incident. I didn't see any mention of the time of this happening.

Wife told me, on the radio it said around 10 am today.

"The cause of the tragic incident was under police questionings."

Well that should only take 5 minutes - could probably fit it in between breakfast break and morning tea break, with a fully detailed analysis of the cause ready for release just after lunch.

1 hour ago, cardinalblue said:

Does it really matter what truly caused the accident? You really believe proper corrective action plans are put in place to reduce future accidents?

nothing but a statistical count and read about the next one tomorrow....

I wish you were being cynical.... 

its unbelieveable that the authorities dont act to stop this this kind of tragedy.

1 hour ago, farcanell said:

I wish you were being cynical.... 

its unbelieveable that the authorities dont act to stop this this kind of tragedy.

People driving or being chauffeur driven in new mercs rarely drive off cliffs and most are in the air traveling distances anyways. Not their problem so the story goes.

Eighteen killed and 22 injured in bus plunge into a ravine in Uttaradit province

221103.jpg

UTTARADIT: -- Eighteen passengers who are mostly retirees of CAT Telecom Plc were killed and 22 others injured when a tour bus in which they were travelling plunged into a 70-metre ravine on a mountainous road in Uttradit’s Muang district on Tuesday.

The 48-year old bus driver, Mr Udom Sommart, was among the slightly injured after he reportedly jumped out of the bus before it plunged into the steep ravine.

Uttaradit governor Pipat Aekpapan said the Transport Company’s bus was carrying 36 passengers who are retirees of CAT Telecom Plc for a tour of Phrae and Nan provinces during November 19-22. The bus was on its way back to its destination in Bangkok when the accident took place on Tuesday.

Police said that the bus driver might not be familiar with the route. However, the actual cause of the accident is yet to be determined.

Rescue operation was slow because the ravine is about 70 metres from the road surface. Rescue workers had to use ropes to climb down the ravine to its bottom to reach the passengers and to use the ropes to pull both the dead and the injured out of the ravine.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/eighteen-killed-and-22-injured-in-bus-plunge-into-a-ravine-in-uttradit-province/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-11-23

Driver unfamiliar with the orad, what a load of absolute nonsense coming from the police , familiar or not a DRIVER would drive to the conditions, before him. BUT THIS MAN is not a driver in the true sense fo the word and should be prosecuted for anything that he ca be including causing the death of 18 people.

They need to install Governor on all Public Buses. Maybe set speed limit of 80-90 km/hr. 

I'm not sure if this accident happened on curve or going down hill ? 

Nothing will be done until it is 18 rich and important people who die, on a VIP bus going 140 km/hr.

Sorry for the families.

2 hours ago, leither69 said:

Jumped out the bus!! You cant make this up. Lucky he was able to unfasten his seat belt and open the door to jump off!! Sure his time would have been better used trying to save lives

You are very funny

Seat belt and closed door.

Maybe his door was closed but he was probably half way out the passenger door when he realised he had stuffed up