Bus plunge in Uttaradit killing 5, injuring 25

webfact

9 minutes ago, bark said:

They need to install Governor on all Public Buses. Maybe set speed limit of 80-90 km/hr. 

I'm not sure if this accident happened on curve or going down hill ? 

Nothing will be done until it is 18 rich and important people who die, on a VIP bus going 140 km/hr.

Sorry for the families.

To install a speed governor is good for travelling along the highways

Sad to say it wont do much to slow the idiot who is driving down the mountain in top gear

Only trees and rocks will do that

58 minutes ago, monkey4u said:

To install a speed governor is good for travelling along the highways

Sad to say it wont do much to slow the idiot who is driving down the mountain in top gear

Only trees and rocks will do that

Yes agreed.

But even a mouse or rat can be trained to follow a course.

Cheers.

15 hours ago, wvavin said:

Needs no investigation because the accident was caused by faulty brakes. Csse closed.

If the engine is geared down properly, brakes are not an issue. That's the problem that I've seen with most drivers. They're all brake and don't know how to use the gears to control the speed.

2 hours ago, bark said:

Yes agreed.

But even a mouse or rat can be trained to follow a course.

Cheers.

The jury is still out on that, unless you want to train a rat or mouse to drive

Mind you that may be a safer option to what there is at present 

2 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

' Police said the driver might not of been familiar with the route '  That's ok then , as for me I have gone to places here that I was not familer with but not driven off the road yet and I don't even have a lucky Buddha on the dash board.

Ditto,  driven in many countries on unfamiliar roads, stepper moutains,  more twists and turns, heavier traffic conditions - never had any brake failure problem,  left the road or crashed into anything - wonder if it has anything to do with knowing how to drive correctly to prevailing conditions? 

I live in Uttaradit and have driven this road plenty of times, even before they widened it and made it safer. I suspect the guy was driving too fast and he lost control of the bus resulting in this sad case. RIP to the people who lost their lives through such a stupid lack of driving skills of the driver

8 hours ago, bark said:

They need to install Governor on all Public Buses. Maybe set speed limit of 80-90 km/hr. 

I'm not sure if this accident happened on curve or going down hill ? 

Nothing will be done until it is 18 rich and important people who die, on a VIP bus going 140 km/hr.

Sorry for the families.

VIPs do not take the bus, even VIP buses. And that is why nothing is done about the carnage.

Oh no not another bus crash! Why would anyone travel on a bus if there was al alternative?

There seem to be so many here, is it the roads, speed, poor maintainance of buses, people not fit to drive the bus or a combination and you and I wonder why do things not change, why does no one in authority take control of the issue?  Bus crashes in developed countries happen but not on this scale and if Thailand wants not to be referred to as 3rd world they should tale serious action and sort this old problem out.

I expect though that it will seen as just one of things that happen here, part of everyday life on the roads of the country, be aware of whats going on around you, there are people on the roads who should not be there.

I've only driven that road once, but as I remember it a double lane each way and not particularly winding or hilly. Tell me if I'm wrong.

If I'm right, that excludes maniacs coming around blind corners in his lane.

However, if it's after the turnoff to Uttaradit, there are some very steep bits after the peak. I remember it having safety barriers all the way down though.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

17 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I've only driven that road once, but as I remember it a double lane each way and not particularly winding or hilly. Tell me if I'm wrong.

If I'm right, that excludes maniacs coming around blind corners in his lane.

However, if it's after the turnoff to Uttaradit, there are some very steep bits after the peak. I remember it having safety barriers all the way down though.

I drived many times on this road ;

none roads even this one are dangerous;

the drivers are !

On this rd which has many curves on the two sides when downhill every drivers, sedan, pickup, coaches, trucks are too fast ;

I have a pickup Isuzy 3,000 cc and automatic gears ; every vehicles overpass me ( I drive between 80 and 100 km/h ) when dowhill on the two sides, but when I arrive in Pitsanulok or in Den Chai on the other side you can touch my wheels , they are cold ;

I rarely touch the brakes when downhill a mountain or a hill , even the Doi Inthanon ;

I have 4 positions on my auto gear box; on " L " I go slowly but the engine brake is very good ; u can pass the speeds as u have a manual one; it's not a problem; it works well .

129.000 km in less than 7 years , the brakes are as new ! Maybe I will never change them before the pickup is 25 or 30 y old !

On 23/11/2016 at 4:15 PM, TheFishman1 said:

The Driver Jump Out reminds me of an Italian Ship Captain guess he didn't believe in going down with the bus

There are many instances of cowardliness around the world  not just in Thailand. RIP for all those killed. The survivors will remember, for a long, long time, seeing the  driver jump out. Even worst, has got to be how the school kids felt, in the moments before the  recent Chattanooga school bus crash - where the driver was heard to say,  ‘Are y’all ready to die,'” <CBS News>.

That shook me up, some.

On ‎22‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 10:49 PM, wvavin said:

Needs no investigation because the accident was caused by faulty brakes. Csse closed.

That will probably be the investigation report  BUT  not the cause ---  or did you mistype brake for brains.