Govt approves 10 year visas for foreigners over 50 

Jonathan Fairfield

Let's see now, a definitive answer from immigration versus a thousand chaotic responses on TV
I was there, she was definitive.
You really think immigration will only learn the details about the visa the same time we do? When it's published? How nieve are you, of course they have been fully briefed, it's their job!
Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

I read your report. It's a good hint but limited. First it sounds like you didn't even talk to the retirement desk. Secondly rank and file officers and even higher may not even know yet. Did you see the Phuket article? It sounded like immigration there was totally confused about what's going to happen. That's another clue. Sorry all this adds up to not even close to being able to assert that current level people won't be impacted with certainty. I know people want that certainty now but you can't always get what you want.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read your report. It's a good hint but limited. First it sounds like you didn't even talk to the retirement desk. Secondly rank and file officers and even higher may not even know yet. Did you see the Phuket article? It sounded like immigration there was totally confused about what's going to happen. That's another clue. Sorry all this adds up to not even close to being able to assert that current level people won't be impacted with certainty. I know people want that certainty now but you can't always get what you want.

That's problem with "articles" they always lose something in translation and hence the chaos. Remember the article about a work visa needed to rent out your condo? That also came from phuket and created chaos. It was false of course
Your in Pattaya why not go to immigration yourself on Monday? You obviously care about the situation

That's problem with "articles" they always lose something in translation and hence the chaos. Remember the article about a work visa needed to rent out your condo? That also came from phuket and created chaos. It was false of course

Your in Pattaya why not go to immigration yourself on Monday? You obviously care about the situation

Info you get at immigration can be specious too. I actually think it's premature to be asking officers at that level so no I won't do that.

You seem to think you've discovered the final definitive answer on all this by talking to a 90 day report officer in one office. Sorry not good enough. It's just a clue.

5 hours ago, digibum said:

Another yahoo claiming to know something definitively when that is nothing is definitive at this point.  

Funny you should say that, as you were the one that repeatedly claimed the Thai government (or junta) wanted to get rid of the 'poor' retired people.

Practice what you preach.

Edited by sjaak327

6 hours ago, digibum said:

Another yahoo claiming to know something definitively when that is nothing is definitive at this point.  

What's not to know?  There has been no announcement that the one year extension is going away--and there would have been if it was.  A poster was at Jomtien Immigration the other day and asked about it--and was told nothing has changed with it and it is still used.  Yes, you sometimes get different information when you ask 2 Thais the same question but in this case, with a question about extensions  that they do all the time, I think the correct information was received.  The poster wasn't asking a complex, thorny visa question.  The 10 year visa for only 14 countries is clearly just another visa product CHOICE--and a very limited one.  Why would anyone think it would change one year visa extensions on a visa that has already been granted?

6 hours ago, digibum said:

But let me put this more succinctly, if I were in the shoes of someone who didn't have enough income to make the 100,000 baht requirement, instead of thinking about leaving my wife destitute or running off to another country (only delaying the inevitable since inflation and exchange rates catch up to you eventually unless you die before they do), I would be thinking, "How can I get more money?"  

Let me put it more succinctly, rather than destitute your wife, get an extension of stay based on marriage.

40,000 baht a month.

This thread is about the introduction of a new Visa.

If you can provide any link or snippet of information that suggests a change in any Visa type other than the Non Imm O-A Visa (long stay), or any proposed change to extensions of stay based on retirement or marriage, then please enlighten us all.

The post regarding 'victim mentality' is absolutely worthless to this thread and indicates a type of arrogance that is not appreciated nor wanted when discussing this subject.  I don't need a lecture on economics; investment; or ways to make money. I and others must have done all right because we are here legally and meeting requirements.  

There are many people who could not meet increased requirements simply because they were in a working environment decades ago in which the levels of income and economy were different and their pensions are based upon the totality of that.

Your arguments are specious; not well thought out and condescending especially using some terminology which is not only politically incorrect but shows all the makings of a person who has a narcissistic personality and is downright rude. You certainly do not understand  why all people aren't wealthy and try and denigrate those who are below your level as poor planners; lazy; or uneducated. Your concept of what is adequate income is completely different than the majority of people I know.

Please don't try and tell me what lifestyle I should adopt. You might want to take a look in the mirror and take stock of your own life and how you relate to others who are diverse and  come from different backgrounds.

18 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

The post regarding 'victim mentality' is absolutely worthless to this thread and indicates a type of arrogance that is not appreciated nor wanted when discussing this subject.  I don't need a lecture on economics; investment; or ways to make money. I and others must have done all right because we are here legally and meeting requirements.  

There are many people who could not meet increased requirements simply because they were in a working environment decades ago in which the levels of income and economy were different and their pensions are based upon the totality of that.

Your arguments are specious; not well thought out and condescending especially using some terminology which is not only politically incorrect but shows all the makings of a person who has a narcissistic personality and is downright rude. You certainly do not understand  why all people aren't wealthy and try and denigrate those who are below your level as poor planners; lazy; or uneducated. Your concept of what is adequate income is completely different than the majority of people I know.

Please don't try and tell me what lifestyle I should adopt. You might want to take a look in the mirror and take stock of your own life and how you relate to others who are diverse and  come from different backgrounds.

"Politically Incorrect"  pleazzzze don't even go there!

I shall amend  politically incorrect to simply incorrect and just plain rude. Frankly, arrogance should not be shown when discussing any subject. I have always felt that those who were in a position of authority; wealthy; or otherwise have responsibility to assist others who are not so endowed rather than tell them their current lot was because they did not plan properly. Things happen in a person's life that cannot be planned for. No one can plan for every possible eventuality. One does the best they can and tries to lead a happy productive life.

8 hours ago, digibum said:

Bro, come on.  We all know that in Thailand the answer you get from anybody can change from day to day from person to person.  Don't go and post this as definitive proof.  It's a single data point.  That's it.  

You spoke to an immigration officer about a regulation that hasn't been published yet and you think that the answer they gave you is, what, legally binding?  Are you going to go in there and demand to be exempt because this immigration officer told you something different?  

The regs will be what they are when they are published.  Until then, speculation here, or even by immigration officers, is valued at less than zero.  

Umm, you conveniently forgot to mention that the poster also asked the immigration officer  a question about a 'regulation' that has been in use for some time--the one year extension. That was the important question of the two and we got the important answer that it is still used.   No need to wait for the 'regs' to be published since it's not something new and the 'regs' are already in place.

50 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

I'm a "victim" - nearly 75, disabled and can't get health insurance for Thailand.

Now tell me again how I earn that extra 35,000 THB per month?

5 minutes ago, Evilbaz said:

I'm a "victim" - nearly 75, disabled and can't get health insurance for Thailand.

Now tell me again how I earn that extra 35,000 THB per month?

Don't apply for the new visa!  It's only aimed at "wealthy" people (similar to the Elite card) requiring a long-term visa and is restricted to certain countries.  Just do what you would normally do.

2 hours ago, sjaak327 said:

Funny you should say that, as you were the one that repeatedly claimed the Thai government (or junta) wanted to get rid of the 'poor' retired people.

Practice what you preach.

I did not say that.  I said if you looked at what's occurred with tourist visas and the such it's pretty clear which way things are headed.  I also said that it would be in the best interest of the Thai government to upgrade the retirement visa.  

As you'll note what I said was either an observation or an opinion.  

I did did not say X is going to happen, period, end of discussion. 

7 hours ago, digibum said:

No they can't.  All they can say is that no announcement regarding the 1 year visa extension of stay based on retirement has been made.  We can therefore assume that at this point it's unlikely there will be any changes.  

Words like "assume" and "unlikely" massively change the context of those statements.  Until you see the new regs in writing nothing is definitive.  

People who make definitive statements when things are less than definitive don't do so for the benefit of the reader.  They do so to make themselves look like experts.  As such, yahoo is an appropriate term as the statements are reckless.  

No 'announcement' needs to be made on the 1 year extension or has been made on the 1 year extension because there's nothing to announce.  Don't stand at the curb waiting for the 'new regs' to arrive for the 1 year visa. They aren't coming 'cause they are already here and in place.

On 11/22/2016 at 6:19 PM, DiamondKing said:

3 Million in the Bank and you cant touch it for 1 year after the visa is issues or 100,000 in salary coming in every month 

ITS A JOKE 

Maybe there has been complaints to the government that there are too many foreigners coming to Thailand and they want to restrict the number.

It's just like the review of the 30 days to 15 days visa by land.

Just now, xng said:

Maybe there has been complaints to the government that there are too many foreigners coming to Thailand and they want to restrict the number.

It's just like the review of the 30 days to 15 days visa by land.

It's still 30 days by land for most countries.  If anyhting, the opposite to what you have written is true.  Visa charges have just been waived for a list of countries in an effort to encourage more tourism!

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

No.   I denigrate people who's first thought is bailing on their wife and family or calling off a marriage because they won't even entertain looking at other options available to them.  

That type of narrow and rigid thought process deserves no sympathy and she be called out for what it is.  

6 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Yes- end of discussion- regarding your observations and your narrative on the poor; downtrodden; and others who cannot meet your expectations of  how one should lead their life and plan for the future. 

Seems like you and new native seem to be trying to bully your point of view on the thread.  Good luck with that.  

5 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It's still 30 days by land for most countries.  If anyhting, the opposite to what you have written is true.  Visa charges have just been waived for a list of countries in an effort to encourage more tourism!

There is a world of difference between 1 year retirement visa and 1 month tourist visa.

It's most likely that the 1 year visa will extend for many years (10 years or more) so they are considered foreign resident whereas tourist visa of 1 month are temporary (they only stay for a much shorter time) and it brings a lot more money into Thailand (eg. Chinese tourists buying stuff) than retirees in the same amount of time.

Edited by xng

The only rigid narrative and thought process is your narcissistic insistence that you right and everyone else is wrong. Take a look in the mirror and how you are being received.  Some people are very upset over the news and  are venting their frustration. Stop lecturing.

30 minutes ago, digibum said:

I also said that it would be in the best interest of the Thai government to upgrade the retirement visa.  

Please enlighten me as to which Retirement Visa you are referring to, as to the best of my knowledge no such Visa exists.

On 22.11.2016 at 6:14 PM, Crossy said:

It would be really nice to only have to visit immigration every 5 years, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Are they just going to "announce" the ThailandElite scheme?

And Phuket Immigration tell in the News paper maybe every most take a trip out from Thailand and make a new Vise, This was they writhing from Immigration in Phuket : It also has yet to be made clear whether foreigners already staying in the country on the existing one-year “retirement O-A” visa would be able to apply to stay in the Kingdom under the new visa rules without leaving the country.
http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-immigration-in-the-dark-over-new-10-year-visa-60012.php#5g9IXZZqKds3Ab3R.97

On 22.11.2016 at 6:16 PM, Jingthing said:

It would be NIGHTMARE news for a large portion of us, if this will be the only option and the current one year extensions with the current financial requirement levels are phased out. 

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/business/2016/11/22/govt-approves-10-year-visas-foreigners-50/

Applicants must either earn a monthly salary of at least 100,000 baht or have more than 3 million baht in their bank account, which cannot be withdrawn within the first year after receiving the visa. They must also have health insurance that covers hospital stays and provides at least USD$10,000 in annual coverage.

And Phuket Immigration tell in the News paper maybe every most take a trip out from Thailand and make a new Vise, This was they writhing from Immigration in Phuket : It also has yet to be made clear whether foreigners already staying in the country on the existing one-year “retirement O-A” visa would be able to apply to stay in the Kingdom under the new visa rules without leaving the country.
http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-immigration-in-the-dark-over-new-10-year-visa-60012.php#5g9IXZZqKds3Ab3R.97

5 hours ago, mcfish said:

He wouldn't have the time - spends too much time posting here.:smile:

Don't believe everything you read in Newspaper articles, they are speculating the same as many others.

Wait for an official announcement from Immigration as to how the new 5/10 year Visa will operate and whether it will affect the current 1 year Non Imm O-A Visa.