Govt approves 10 year visas for foreigners over 50 

Jonathan Fairfield

1 minute ago, Flustered said:

Why do people always think that Thailand is for retired people on the breadline?

100,000 baht/month is not a lot. I would be hard pushed to find anyone on less than 100,00 baht/month. In fact, I can categorically state that I do not know anyone on less than this.

Stop knocking normal people.

The poor Expats form England never get increases on their

pensions..I guess if your not well-off your not worth having

around...

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, anotheruser said:

Regardless of the age of the post nobody who has had their pensions frozen will have that amount. They are living in the days like my Father, a coke is no longer a nickel.

I fail to see why you and others think that Thailand is only for those on the breadline. Everyone knows there is no social security or benefit system in Thailand so why take the risk if your income is so small as to be a problem? Stay in a country that has health and benefits.

I honestly do not know anyone on less than 100K baht a month. It's not a lot of money. 

Regarding frozen pensions. Anyone in Thailand who had not researched pension payments before leaving the UK knew from the first anniversary of their pension that it would not increase. The penny should have dropped then, not 20 years later.

1 minute ago, fforest1 said:

The poor Expats form England never get increases on their

pensions..I guess if your not well-off your not worth having

around...

Can you point me to that post?

18 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

When is Thailand going to have sanctuary cities same as in

America? Where its illegal to ask any foreigners for a

passport or visa or greencard to show they are in America

legally ?

Never, just like pretty much all of the rest of the world.

Just now, Flustered said:

I fail to see why you and others think that Thailand is only for those on the breadline. Everyone knows there is no social security or benefit system in Thailand so why take the risk if your income is so small as to be a problem? Stay in a country that has health and benefits.

I honestly do not know anyone on less than 100K baht a month. It's not a lot of money. 

Regarding frozen pensions. Anyone in Thailand who had not researched pension payments before leaving the UK knew from the first anniversary of their pension that it would not increase. The penny should have dropped then, not 20 years later.

Yet, they don't get the message. They think they are unwelcome. They are like house guests you can't get to leave.

5 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

I never heard of a program for piss poor Thais to come to England

Well if the income level was 500,000 Baht a month they

could clear out all the 100,000 baht a month riff-raff

and only keep the quality expats....

42 minutes ago, Flustered said:

Those people made horrible mistakes. It isn't Thailand's fault. Imagine some loser comes to your door talking about how much money he had during the VN war.

1 hour ago, anotheruser said:

I never heard of a program for piss poor Thais to come to England

Well, the "piss poor" English are spending approximately 5 times the average Thai wage in Thailand, and all the money is foreign currency.

If a horde of Thai retirees came to the UK each spending 5 times the average UK salary, approx $170,000 a year - yes, they would be welcomed

1 minute ago, modafinil said:

Well, the "piss poor" English are spending approximately 5 times the average Thai wage in Thailand, and all the money is foreign currency.

If a horde of Thai retirees came to the UK each spending 5 times the average UK salary, approx $170,000 a year - yes, they would be welcomed

The average expat in Thailand is qualifying based upon pensions of $24,000 a year. They aren't exactly rich.

10 hours ago, Asiantravel said:

the way freedom of speech is deteriorating, crime is increasing with other social ills I can't possibly see how one can attribute paying a premium to living here.

i did not move to Thailand in order to enjoy free speech and i did not realise in all these years that crime increased.

4 hours ago, anotheruser said:

The average expat in Thailand is qualifying based upon pensions of $24,000 a year. They aren't exactly rich.

67,000 baht a month is substantially higher than the average monthly wage in Thailand of 13,000, it appears the average expat is indeed quite wealthy, by comparison. But of course if you want to compare that against the average US monthly salary, that is of course apples and mushrooms!

"Freedom of speech"?
That is a greatly misunderstood Constitutional issue even in the US. There it means only that the Government may not impinge on one's freedom of expression, and even there it is being rapidly eroded.
There never was freedom of speech in the non government sector... private sector employers, for instance, can legally restrict public discussions of subjects which they find objectionable.
 "While the Thai constitution provides for freedom of expression, by law the government may restrict freedom of expression to preserve national security, maintain public order, preserve the rights of others, protect public morals, and prevent insults to Buddhism."
On a per case basis I would be careful to not violate anything in those categories, and especially careful about
Lèse-majesté .

5 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

67,000 baht a month is substantially higher than the average monthly wage in Thailand of 13,000, it appears the average expat is indeed quite wealthy, by comparison. But of course if you want to compare that against the average US monthly salary, that is of course apples and mushrooms!

One difference... the dual pricing scheme here in Thailand.
I recently was looking at a house rental advertised at 8,500 baht/month. It seems that is only for Thai people, as I was told I would have to pay 10,000 baht/month.
I need to be careful because of medical costs, so I will be moving to a much smaller condo at 6,000 baht/month... as advertised.
Then we have the government sanctioned admission rates for most attractions. I would not mind a doubling of price, perhaps, but up to 10 times the rate or more means there are a number of features I will not be enjoying.
Of course I at least qualify to be here. The US apparently is not issuing visas for regular Thai people, only for Hiso or business investors. A friend with a good job, new house mortgage, new car payment,  and family obligations was denied a tourist visa twice, and the US immigration people did not even look at  her documentation or proposed itinerary. 
Go figure.

1 minute ago, Bill Miller said:

One difference... the dual pricing scheme here in Thailand.
I recently was looking at a house rental advertised at 8,500 baht/month. It seems that is only for Thai people, as I was told I would have to pay 10,000 baht/month.
I need to be careful because of medical costs, so I will be moving to a much smaller condo at 6,000 baht/month... as advertised.
Then we have the government sanctioned admission rates for most attractions. I would not mind a doubling of price, perhaps, but up to 10 times the rate or more means there are a number of features I will not be enjoying.
Of course I at least qualify to be here. The US apparently is not issuing visas for regular Thai people, only for Hiso or business investors. A friend with a good job, new house mortgage, new car payment,  and family obligations was denied a tourist visa twice, and the US immigration people did not even look at  her documentation or proposed itinerary. 
Go figure.

Problems resulting from the dual pricing system are very overstated, other than by tourists, it's easily possible to avoid most contact with it although that does mean there are some things you will not get to see. As for the price of accommodation: it's a buyers market and you're spoilt for choice, rental from a foreigner is also now very common.

19 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Problems resulting from the dual pricing system are very overstated, other than by tourists, it's easily possible to avoid most contact with it although that does mean there are some things you will not get to see. As for the price of accommodation: it's a buyers market and you're spoilt for choice, rental from a foreigner is also now very common.

Nonsense. I am regularly asked to pay more than the posted price at the market, when the price posted in Arabic notation. Sometimes short changed by five or ten baht. I of course often refuse, but the fact that many (not all by any means!) Thai "men on the street" thinks it is ok to attempt this is indicative of an attitude that farangs are fair game.
The clever ones comply with requirements to post their prices by doing so in Thai notation... if you can read it and politely call them on it you get the posted price. Negotiation is also often appreciated.
I just gave an exact report of what I have been experiencing re: the rental market, and that was only one example of a number. The affordable, for me, units all became mysteriously unavailable, or "Sorry, price is more today". I finally got the condo rental at the advertised price because my Thai girlfriend negotiated and put the rental agreement in her name.
This is not generalized Thai bashing, but actual experience, and remarked upon by many others, so please do not try to tell us that it is "very overstated." 
This is a poor country still, and while I do not blame folks for trying to get a leg up, I do not appreciate being taken for a rube. I do my part by tipping where appropriate. Drives my GF nuts. :sleepy:

By the way, unless you are in the distinct minority of folks with permanent resident status, or enough of the ready for an "Elite visa", you ARE a tourist here. Not even a two year "green card" available.

11 hours ago, Asiantravel said:

the way freedom of speech is deteriorating, crime is increasing with other social ills I can't possibly see how one can attribute paying a premium to living here. In fact quite the opposite I would rather pay a premium to have the flexibility of being able to move at short notice without having to write off that money when moving to one of the other neighbouring countries.

I agree.

I'd rather spend my effort/energy getting a Spanish Visa if I want a more permanent place to hang out.  I'll continue to keep my thai extension of stay up to date, but its becoming more and more questionable. 

20 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

Nonsense. I am regularly asked to pay more than the posted price at the market, when the price posted in Arabic notation. Sometimes short changed by five or ten baht. I of course often refuse, but the fact that many (not all by any means!) Thai "men on the street" thinks it is ok to attempt this is indicative of an attitude that farangs are fair game.
The clever ones comply with requirements to post their prices by doing so in Thai notation... if you can read it and politely call them on it you get the posted price. Negotiation is also often appreciated.
I just gave an exact report of what I have been experiencing re: the rental market, and that was only one example of a number. The affordable, for me, units all became mysteriously unavailable, or "Sorry, price is more today". I finally got the condo rental at the advertised price because my Thai girlfriend negotiated and put the rental agreement in her name.
This is not generalized Thai bashing, but actual experience, and remarked upon by many others, so please do not try to tell us that it is "very overstated." 
This is a poor country still, and while I do not blame folks for trying to get a leg up, I do not appreciate being taken for a rube. I do my part by tipping where appropriate. Drives my GF nuts. :sleepy:

By the way, unless you are in the distinct minority of folks with permanent resident status, or enough of the ready for an "Elite visa", you ARE a tourist here. Not even a two year "green card" available.

Nonsense!

I've lived here for fifteen years full time and a further fifteen years previously on a part time basis - I don't care if people want to call me a tourist or whatever, I live here.

Pricing: It depends where you live, if in Pattaya/Phuket or similar I expect foreigners to get charged more because that's tourist central. I live in the North and only very very rarely do I encounter similar, never at markets but sometimes with contracted suppliers when I'm getting quotes for work - never at major stores, never at pharmacies, never at restaurants and so on and so on. To all intents and purposes the dual pricing system doesn't affect me, others mileage may vary.

I agree.
I'd rather spend my effort/energy getting a Spanish Visa if I want a more permanent place to hang out.  I'll continue to keep my thai extension of stay up to date, but its becoming more and more questionable. 

A Spanish visa isn't much use if your life and family are in Thailand!

4 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

When did they come up with the 60K figure? Many farang gripe they have been frozen on their pensions. On that note maybe it is about high time they adjusted the requirements. 60K isn't what it used to be.

Just now, the guest said:

It makes a complete mockery of the visa regulations and the law. So long as you have money you can get special privileges over and above everybody else.

Well at least they don't let you buy citizenship like most western countries. 

1 minute ago, the guest said:

It makes a complete mockery of the visa regulations and the law. So long as you have money you can get special privileges over and above everybody else.

All long-stay visas in all countries surely require the applicant to have a certain level of income, don't they?

Archived