Govt approves 10 year visas for foreigners over 50 

Jonathan Fairfield

18 hours ago, PiAnt said:

I'm planning on THB 400,000 kept in a separate account, untouched for indefinite, annual non-Imm O visa renewals, or a possible permanent residency permit within the next few years prior to retirement.

6 hours ago, dentonian said:

You mean an extension of stay based on marriage (400,000 in a Thai bank).

You cannot renew a Visa, it expires. You renew your permission to stay, which is a Permit not a Visa.

47 minutes ago, Naam said:

and you mean bla-bla... bla-bla... yakety-yak blabla :sick:

The OP could have meant a Non Imm O ME Visa based on marriage.

My reply was a question merely to confirm what he meant.

If you really can't bother posting something useful, then why bother.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SpokaneAl said:

When discussing extensions of stay and visas on a thread that is providing insight, updates and advice, why not ensure that those terms are correct and precise?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

There's no need at all. There are a surprising number of <deleted> such as yourself willing to do the hard work to constantly remind everyone of the correct terms. The rest of us can just relax and continue to use the informal "retirement visa" nomenclature.

5 minutes ago, tropo said:

The rest of us can just relax and continue to use the informal "retirement visa" nomenclature.

Ah! Then you must be on the Non Imm O SE Visa, or is that the Non Imm O ME Visa, or it could be an extension based on retirement which isn't a Visa and doesn't allow entry to Thailand. No, your on the Non Imm O-A Visa, silly me.

I've seen them all referred to as 'Retirement Visas'.

When you figure out what you have, you can let us know.

P.S. The secret is actually opening your passport and reading what's currently printed in it.

On 22/11/2559 at 6:26 PM, Redline said:

3 million in the bank for the first year, or 100,000 a month income.

Well, I'll have to sell my body.  Or, maybe just a kidney?

Better yet a reproductive sample for the brain trust that thought this up.

44 minutes ago, dentonian said:

Referring to a member as a 'term nazi' is racist and highly offensive.

The post should be edited and the member warned.

Umm.  Nazi isn't a race; it was and still is a political party in various forms (I think the American Nazi Party is still in existence) so using the term isn't racist. 

On 11/22/2016 at 6:32 PM, sjaak327 said:

Sorry, I did not read that sentence, that's ludicrous, they are shooting themselves in the foot if true.

Yes but do they care how it impacts the average Thai? Doubt it. But it will surely effect Thai economy if X pats leave. Think a/b the money lost each and every month. WOW. Brain dead idea.... no surprise re: Thai govt. ideas however. 

1 hour ago, selftaopath said:

Yes but do they care how it impacts the average Thai? Doubt it. But it will surely effect Thai economy if X pats leave. Think a/b the money lost each and every month. WOW. Brain dead idea.... no surprise re: Thai govt. ideas however. 

No reason for expats to leave.  For the umpteenth time, the 10 year visa is an optional choice.  The vast majority of us will just keep doing what we've been doing, yearly extensions.

On 1/22/2017 at 4:13 PM, dentonian said:

P.S. The secret is actually opening your passport and reading what's currently printed in it.

every year my wife and i get stamps in our passports which are internationally called and perceived as VISAS plus an additional stamp which says RETIREMENT.

that's why we refer to it as RETIREMENT VISA. eat your heart out :smile:

23 minutes ago, Naam said:

every year my wife and i get stamps in our passports which are internationally called and perceived as VISAS plus an additional stamp which says RETIREMENT.

If your getting a stamp in your passport, then your getting an extension of stay based on retirement from your local Immigration office.

Nowhere does it state Visa. It states extension of stay permitted until..............

A 1 year Visa would be multi entry.

Try leaving and re-entering the Country on your 'Retirement Visa' and see what happens.

57 minutes ago, Naam said:

To be fair you are getting an 'extension' stamp yearly not a visa although we all refer to it as you state

To be fair you are getting an 'extension' stamp yearly not a visa although we all refer to it as you state

Which is fine until advice is sought or given and both are based on individual perceptions of what he/she and other person are talking/asking about when referring to a "retirement visa", which could easily result in either a correct or totally wrong solution. I certainly would demand more than such a nebulous conclusion and discussion if I visited a doctor or a lawyer.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

On 1/22/2017 at 4:13 PM, dentonian said:

Ah! Then you must be on the Non Imm O SE Visa, or is that the Non Imm O ME Visa, or it could be an extension based on retirement which isn't a Visa and doesn't allow entry to Thailand. No, your on the Non Imm O-A Visa, silly me.

LOL> I've got the same as 99.9% of the retired members here have.

On 1/22/2017 at 4:15 PM, dentonian said:

Referring to a member as a 'term nazi' is racist and highly offensive.

The post should be edited and the member warned.

Why would you quote a term that you think is offensive and should be deleted from a post? Now we have 2 more because the original was deleted.:smile:

3 hours ago, dentonian said:

If your getting a stamp in your passport, then your getting an extension of stay based on retirement from your local Immigration office.

Nowhere does it state Visa. It states extension of stay permitted until..............

Try leaving and re-entering the Country on your 'Retirement Visa' and see what happens.

Nja, that would only be possible if you applied for a re-entry permit at your immigration office. See there is a chance anyway! LOL

3 hours ago, dentonian said:

what part of "eat your heart out!" is it you don't understand newbie? :cheesy:

4 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

Yet, if you re-enter, your entry stamp has 'Visaclass: non-RE' clearly marked.

I'd say the non-RE means: non-immigrant visa - retirement.

1 hour ago, Naam said:

what part of "eat your heart out!" is it you don't understand newbie? :cheesy:

The newbies are taking over where the oldies have given up. There's always some new member with a heavy dose of OCD willing to take the baton.

Jeez, some of guys will just continue to criticise those who try to use the correct terminology in order to educate those who want to learn and understand the process. In return you offer nothing in the way of helpful replies to anyone, just adding to the confusion you continually create.

Newbie! You think experience is judged by post count.

I suppose there's one in every village, and I don't mean post boxes.

2 hours ago, Naam said:

visa

ˈviːzə/
noun
noun: visa; plural noun: visas
  1. an endorsement on a passport indicating that the holder is allowed to enter, leave, or stay for a specified period of time in a country.

Oh Dear!

You're really clutching at straws now aren't you.

The operative word that you should have highlighted was 'OR'.

A Visa for Thailand allows you to 'enter'........that's it, full stop.

The 90 day permission to stay is completely separate and granted under the Immigration laws.

You can 'leave' whenever you want (if only).

11 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Why is that relevant? Thais don't need visas. Most countries have restrictive financial requirements for visas like this.

Most countries dont even allow retirement visas any more, and your correct many have quite high finanical requirements and for good reason, they want to make sure a pensioner has adequate financial means to ensure so they dont become a burden on the state.

Cant see what opposition is by some people, farangs have been howling for a longer visa for years and now it appears there is a 10 year one availible they are still whinging....some one stated " farang go home" in post...strange comment, if Thai authorites didnt want farangs here they wouldnt be doing this 10 year visa would they ?

Thailand provides multple, low hassle routes for long term stay in Thailand , this is not indicative of a country who doesnt want long term stayers, so what do we have ?

5 year visas for all

20 year visas for all 

In process - 10 year retirement visa

Investment visas 

Seems to me Thailand is pretty generous as regards whats availible to pensioners as regards T&Cs and finanical requirements  

But what Thailand doesn't offer is a route to permanent residency for those who are married to a Thai national and prove a monthly income, which is the basis for permanent residency in many other Countries.

Everything offered is based on 'temporary stays of 90 days'

14 minutes ago, dentonian said:

But what Thailand doesn't offer is a route to permanent residency for those who are married to a Thai national and prove a monthly income, which is the basis for permanent residency in many other Countries.

Everything offered is based on 'temporary stays of 90 days'

Yes it does...the route is there, its whether one qualifies or not is the question

No different to the UK, British citizen marries a Thai, cant meet finanical requirements for UK, Thai national will not be getting UK PR and will not be getting in the UK either 

The 90 day reporting thing is hardly a burden 

1 hour ago, Savilesghost said:

Yes it does...the route is there, its whether one qualifies or not is the question

No different to the UK, British citizen marries a Thai, cant meet finanical requirements for UK, Thai national will not be getting UK PR and will not be getting in the UK either 

The 90 day reporting thing is hardly a burden 

The route to PR in Thailand is based on working and paying taxes for a number of years, or making a substantial investment.

Most expats living here have retired, having spent their years working and saving to afford retirement in Thailand.

In the UK, the sponsor has a financial commitment, but the Thai spouse has the right to work and after 5 years she gets ILR.

She doesn't have to work, pay taxes or make a substantial investment.

Her permanent residency is based on a continuous marriage and living in the UK for 5 years.

The UK offers a Visa for a route to residency, Thailand doesn't.

Archived