Govt approves 10 year visas for foreigners over 50 

Jonathan Fairfield

24 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

When did they come up with the 60K figure? Many farang gripe they have been frozen on their pensions. On that note maybe it is about high time they adjusted the requirements. 60K isn't what it used to be.

Your figure of a US pension of USD 24,000 X 33.5 baht per USD = 804,000 baht per year, / 12 = THB 67,000 baht per month.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, simoh1490 said:

Your figure of a US pension of USD 24,000 X 33.5 baht per USD = 804,000 baht per year, / 12 = THB 67,000 baht per month.

All I am saying is the 60,000 monthly requirement has been around forever. It could probably  be updated to reflect 2017 prices. 100,000 seems quite reasonable. Not sure what your math has to do with anything I said though.

19 minutes ago, the guest said:

It makes a complete mockery of the visa regulations and the law. So long as you have money you can get special privileges over and above everybody else.

You mean like foreigners who can buy investment visa's in the UK and the US and get the same entry privileges as nationals.

31 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

You mean like foreigners who can buy investment visa's in the UK and the US and get the same entry privileges as nationals.

you can't "buy" an investment visa for the U.S. you have to invest and create jobs for U.S. citizens. then you go several years through the procedure (investment visa > green card > citizenship) till you enjoy the same privileges like the  nationals.

4 minutes ago, Naam said:

you can't "buy" an investment visa for the U.S. you have to invest and create jobs for U.S. citizens. then you go several years through the procedure (investment visa > green card > citizenship) till you enjoy the same privileges like the  nationals.

My bad for using the word "buy", even though access and residency is effectively being bought, something that can't be acquired by the impoverished.

4 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

My bad for using the word "buy", even though access and residency is effectively being bought, something that can't be acquired by the impoverished.

Many impoverished refugees are allowed into my country while some of the more affluent have to wait. So that statement doesn't really hold up. Not sure what any of this has to do with a terribly outdated article about a visa that never happened though.

1 minute ago, anotheruser said:

Many impoverished refugees are allowed into my country while some of the more affluent have to wait. So that statement doesn't really hold up. Not sure what any of this has to do with a terribly outdated article about a visa that never happened though.

It was in response to an earlier poster who said that buying special privileges (ELITE Card for example) in Thailand makes a mockery out of the visa system. And actually the UK does have an investment visa which allows the same things.

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

The difference is that it cost me US$500K "at risk" money to get my E2 Visa in the States. A  20 yearThai Visa Elite at US$30K is a bargain.

4 minutes ago, Flustered said:

The difference is that it cost me US$500K to get my E2 Visa in the States. A  20 yearThai Visa Elite at US$30K is a bargain.

Hmmmm Apple's and oranges here. The E2 is supposed to be more like a business. The Elite visa is more like donating to charity. On one there is a potential profit on the other it will never come back. I have the TE visa and am not complaining but when you buy it your money is out of play. 

On ‎15‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 7:09 AM, Naam said:

i did not move to Thailand in order to enjoy free speech and i did not realise in all these years that crime increased.

well let's put it this way. I will never agree to pay a premium to live in a country where I can potentially get into serious trouble merely for     ticking " like on a Facebook page.

And as to crime increasing if you didn't realise that it happened maybe you would better ask some of the scores of Chinese who have have their jewelry snatched.

http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/crime-wave-thailand-fact-fiction/

The devil is in the details and as far as I know it will be more costly than any alternative and REQUIRE you to have a Thai Government approved Medical Plan you must pay for before you qualify for the plan.

But we wait to see the details.

The difference is that it cost me US$500K "at risk" money to get my E2 Visa in the States. A  20 yearThai Visa Elite at US$30K is a bargain.

----------------------------------------------------------

At 70 years old I can not be sure of being around in 20 years,  and secondly I don't have that kind of money to riek

5 minutes ago, newnative said:

117 pages of scare-mongering, useless speculation, totally incorrect information posted, wild guesses, etc., etc. and at the end of it nothing has changed for retirees.

Yeah but this thread was good fun for a week before most people realized this.

23 hours ago, Flustered said:

A bargain in comparison- maybe.  But both are bad deals imo.  More money than sense.

3 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

----------------------------------------------------------

At 70 years old I can not be sure of being around in 20 years,  and secondly I don't have that kind of money to riek

That's what I like about it.

No renewal issues up to the day i start pushing up daisies.

For medical services! What about the nurses?

All those with insufficient funds are not wanted but those who do qualify, 'land of smiles and rubbing of hands' until the money disappears.

In my opinion, it's a way to claw back money, but yet again, from the foreigner.

I'm over 50. I've invested almost 500,000 plus sterling in Thailand assisting Thai families and the hanger-ons. Dependants.. Many small business plus many larger business too. Bought lands, houses, cars, motorbikes, pickups, furniture, you know where I'm going with this, because I'm sure, many of us have been there and more than once? All that I've paid for inThailand was paid for in Thai baht with foreign money.

Do I qualify! Some how, I think not?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

4 minutes ago, pentap said:

I'm over 50. I've invested almost 500,000 plus sterling in Thailand assisting Thai families and the hanger-ons. Dependants.. Many small business plus many larger business too. Bought lands, houses, cars, motorbikes, pickups, furniture, you know where I'm going with this, because I'm sure, many of us have been there and more than once? All that I've paid for inThailand was paid for in Thai baht with foreign money.

What do you want? A medal?

5 hours ago, Asiantravel said:

well let's put it this way. I will never agree to pay a premium to live in a country where I can potentially get into serious trouble merely for     ticking " like on a Facebook page.

And as to crime increasing if you didn't realise that it happened maybe you would better ask some of the scores of Chinese who have have their jewelry snatched.

http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/crime-wave-thailand-fact-fiction/

i am getting paid very handsomely by saving a six-digit amount of income tax which not only covers all our living expenses but even leaves a nice additional chunk for reinvestment. :smile:

who or what is "Facebook"? :coffee1:

48 minutes ago, Naam said:

i am getting paid very handsomely by saving a six-digit amount of income tax which not only covers all our living expenses but even leaves a nice additional chunk for reinvestment. :smile:

who or what is "Facebook"? :coffee1:

Figures after the decimal point do not count.

6 minutes ago, Jeremy50 said:

Who in their right mind would deposit 3 million baht in a Thai bank account?

Those who can afford to take a calculated gamble. In the history of Thailand in our lifetime, there have been no reasons to be worried about the big international banks.

3 Million Baht is only around £70K. There are many who want tor retire to Thailand to whom this is pocket money.

As I said before, Thailand is not the reserve of the poor. Many well off people want to live here for various reasons.

Archived