Govt approves 10 year visas for foreigners over 50 

Jonathan Fairfield

3 hours ago, dentonian said:

Oh Dear!

You're really clutching at straws now aren't you.

The operative word that you should have highlighted was 'OR'.

A Visa for Thailand allows you to 'enter'........that's it, full stop.

The 90 day permission to stay is completely separate and granted under the Immigration laws.

You can 'leave' whenever you want (if only).

keep up the good job! :clap2:

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/22/2016 at 6:41 PM, Lunchbob said:

It says in the linked article you still have to check in every 90 days. ridiculous. the only reason to have a long visa is to be relieved of the burden of "checking in"

I believe "checking in" can be done online. I've never done it b/c I dislike IE and it seem Thailand doesn't understand Chrome.

On 1/22/2017 at 3:59 PM, tropo said:

There's no need at all. There are a surprising number of <deleted> such as yourself willing to do the hard work to constantly remind everyone of the correct terms. The rest of us can just relax and continue to use the informal "retirement visa" nomenclature.

Yep, I am sure that trips every 3 months to Vientiane or Penang for fresh real genuine McCoy single-entry non-O "retiirement" visas are extremely relaxing for you and you ilk.

And no doubt you also consider those who insist on referring to an apple as an apple as opposed to an orange to be <deleted>!

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

Yep, I am sure that trips every 3 months to Vientiane or Penang for fresh real genuine McCoy single-entry non-O "retiirement" visas are extremely relaxing for you and you ilk.

And no doubt you also consider those who insist on referring to an apple as an apple as opposed to an orange to be <deleted>!

I have no idea what you're on about, but you are as annoying as all the other <deleted> with extreme OCD.

(You don't know what was deleted, so there's no need to jump to conclusions. It was basically a description for newbies who continually try to correct people who call a "retirement visa" a "retirement visa", or an apple an apple as opposed to an orange as you eloquently put it).

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/22/2016 at 11:24 AM, Jingthing said:

If they are doing a Malaysia type program and totally phasing out the old system (year to year, current financial levels, no health insurance requirement) and also with no grandfathering, then this might be the biggest, most consequential visa news in many, many years. 

When we do know more, and if it does turn out that they are phasing out the old program with no grandfathering, I'd like to see a POLL here to ask people using the current system, about how many would be forced to LEAVE THAILAND. 

I'm  about to become  a grandfather in March   - will that make it easier for me ?   

• 3 months later...
23 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

The requirements continue to show how far out of touch Thai immigration really is

Whether we agree with it or not, it's not our place to tell a sovereign country how to behave. We have always lived in LOS at the sufference of the Thai government and they have no obligation to accomodate us.

If things changed, would ordinary Thais come out on the streets to demonstrate in our favour? I doubt they care enough- they have bigger problems without us to muddy the waters.

It's been getting harder for me to stay in LOS permanently since they canceled the 90 day at the border provision, and this is just a linear progression to make it more difficult for farangs to stay long time.

Not for nothing have many commented that all they want is for us to arrive for a 2/ 3 week holiday and give them a load of cash before exiting.

Whether we agree with it or not, it's not our place to tell a sovereign country how to behave. We have always lived in LOS at the sufference of the Thai government and they have no obligation to accomodate us.
If things changed, would ordinary Thais come out on the streets to demonstrate in our favour? I doubt they care enough- they have bigger problems without us to muddy the waters.
It's been getting harder for me to stay in LOS permanently since they canceled the 90 day at the border provision, and this is just a linear progression to make it more difficult for farangs to stay long time.
Not for nothing have many commented that all they want is for us to arrive for a 2/ 3 week holiday and give them a load of cash before exiting.

Except that this thread is about a new 10 year visa to make it easier for some people to live here!!

It is going from bad to worse here very fast IMO. I feel for anyone stuck here. In the next few years it will get increasingly hard to get a visa here.

On 22/11/2016 at 6:32 PM, dick dasterdly said:

In other words, those who fit your profile - and sod the other 'expats'?

Nobody said that.

But I suspect this new visa will be the forerunner for the future retirement visa.  And the existing extension of stay will be phased out.

So 90 day reports continue

There are better deals elsewhere with less restrictions

Earning 2k a month, best stay at home then as there is more chance you will keep it and not loose everything in a local scam

Sad thing if you asked most locals if they had a chance to vacate to another country they would say yes and go

1 hour ago, mommysboy said:

Nobody said that.

But I suspect this new visa will be the forerunner for the future retirement visa.  And the existing extension of stay will be phased out.

If that happens I would expect most will have to leave. Perhaps that's what they want.

45 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

Maybe the point is to weed out those that can't? 

the way freedom of speech is deteriorating, crime is increasing with other social ills I can't possibly see how one can attribute paying a premium to living here. In fact quite the opposite I would rather pay a premium to have the flexibility of being able to move at short notice without having to write off that money when moving to one of the other neighbouring countries.

8 minutes ago, Asiantravel said:

the way freedom of speech is deteriorating, crime is increasing with other social ills I can't possibly see how one can attribute paying a premium to living here. In fact quite the opposite I would rather pay a premium to have the flexibility of being able to move at short notice without having to write off that money when moving to one of the other neighbouring countries.

As said before that could be an intentional result of the terms. At the moment it is just an imaginary visa anyway. I am not sure Thailand is concerned where people go anymore as long as they go.

Just now, fforest1 said:

When is Thailand going to have sanctuary cities same as in

America? Where its illegal to ask any foreigners for a

passport or visa or greencard to show they are in America

legally ?

Thailand will never be on the same level as America. Financially, socially, or democratically.

Archived