7-11 plastic bag update.

malt25

After reading & replying to the original post, 7-11 don't reply to e-mails, I took up the challenge. Sent 7-11 BKK, a "diplomatically" worded e-mail concerning the supply, use of plastic bags at their stores. Today I have received a positive reply. 

I'm happy to post their reply, I trust a Mod will advise if this is ok ???

They suggest I start a petition & send to nominated government departments. They have provided addresses to send said petition.

So, Mods, members, is anyone interested ? Is it ok to post 7-11's reply to my query ?

Thanks all. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 7-11 reply........

Dear Sir/Madame,

Thank you kindly for your suggestions.

We share your concerns that plastic bags are harmful to the environment and would like to reduce them also.  7 Eleven stores have introduced a number of  measures over the years to persuade both store staff and customers not to give / receive plastic bags for small items purchase.

Of course, there are still rooms to improve because some folks are different from others when it comes to environmental awareness vs. needs for something to hold many items, or fresh food / drinks.  Over the years, the government and retailers have put in efforts to promote cloth bags.  But check it out yourself, how many Thais carry them when shopping, not to mention how many they left at home !

In many countries, stop using, or charging a small fee for, plastic bags are possible by Law.  It is law enforcement that curbs demands for plastic bag consumption. A case in point: you simply could not ask customers to stop smoking inside a restaurant, or an airplane. You have to make it a law.  

To make it happen, we encourage you to send a petition to related authorities, e.g., Office of the Prime Minister (www.1111.go.th), The Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (www.mnre.go.th), parliament members Facebook, or even your own embassy.

Once again thank you for your letter.  Let me assure you that 7 Eleven stores have measures to educate customers and staff on plastic bags reduction vs environment. We will try harder on this. Last not least, you can help make it a law by writing to the above channels.

Best regards,
Customer Contact Center

Great idea and good luck.

When my wife and I moved over here from Australia, we brought a box full of the green "Woolies" bags and have used them until they passed their use-by date.

At first we got unusual looks and stares, but now around our local village we don't get a second glance when we refuse a plastic bag and just show our "brought from home " bag ready and willing.

Has it made an impact on other people in our village to do the same?......I don't think so.....we need to educate the kids, adults are too set in their ways.

Cheers.

Edited by Rsquared

11 minutes ago, malt25 said:

In many countries, stop using, or charging a small fee for, plastic bags are possible by Law.

This is a very positive response by 7-Eleven.  In the UK it has recently become law to charge 5p per bag at the major retailers. My Thai wife was on board immediately.

We purchased some huge shopping bags in Amsterdam on one of our regular trips over there and are now converts. 

Good work, malt25.

8 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

7 Yes great I'm under whelmed I know you could start a petition to stop swimming in the sea as it upsets the wild fish.

I might start one to stop farangs from starting petitions in a country they have no vote in. How utterly boring.

The excess of plastic bags suffocate the fish. 

10 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

7 Yes great I'm under whelmed I know you could start a petition to stop swimming in the sea as it upsets the wild fish.

I might start one to stop farangs from starting petitions in a country they have no vote in. How utterly boring.

" I might start one to stop farangs from starting petitions in a country they have no vote in. "

The interesting thing is that the petition was suggested by a Thai, not me. Said Thai appears to be well educated & has a better understanding of English grammar than you. 

In the UK, the supermarkets have literally saved tens of millions, and the gov has made in-kind with the 5p charge.

But receiving a wadful of plastic for every 7-11 visit is part of the Thai experience. Pack of chips, ice cream and small bottle of water = bag for water, bag for chips, bag for ice cream, straw for water and spoon for ice cream, and not forgetting the plethora of stamps and the receipt. :wink:

Edited by daveAustin

30 minutes ago, malt25 said:

" I might start one to stop farangs from starting petitions in a country they have no vote in. "

The interesting thing is that the petition was suggested by a Thai, not me. Said Thai appears to be well educated & has a better understanding of English grammar than you. 

For goodness sake stop being so bloody holly your not a grammar expert, I could not give a monkeys arse if there are to many plastic bags in the world when children are dying every day of starvation, or from other easily curable diseases but no plastic bloody bags are far more important to you aren't they, so get off your lilly white charger and try and do some real good for a change

22 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

For goodness sake stop being so bloody holly your not a grammar expert, I could not give a monkeys arse if there are to many plastic bags in the world when children are dying every day of starvation, or from other easily curable diseases but no plastic bloody bags are far more important to you aren't they, so get off your lilly white charger and try and do some real good for a change

The planet is hugely over populated

If places that cannot afford/manage to feed themselves stopped bloody breeding like rabbits you would not have the masses of starving children sad for the children because of the stupid parent breeding them into a place that cannot sustain them.. 

And yes plastic bags are bad ...

Last time I bought a reusable bag at Big C, the cashier didn't really understand why I opposed her wrapping it in... a plastic bag.

Still a loooong way to go

But, as said before, the hope lies in teaching the next generation

We're swimming against the tide here but, like any tide, with time it's supposed to reverse

3 minutes ago, dutchweller said:

The planet is hugely over populated

If places that cannot afford/manage to feed themselves stopped bloody breeding like rabbits you would not have the masses of starving children sad for the children because of the stupid parent breeding them into a place that cannot sustain them.. 

And yes plastic bags are bad ...

And this reply helps children dying now HOW!!!!!. 

41 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

11 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

And this reply helps children dying now HOW!!!!!. 

Well, umm Gee.  Maybe you can enumerate some of the ways you are helping starving children?  One can make the case that reducing plastic bags is helping starving children by a reduction in pollution, protecting wildlife and improving the environment.  I usually refuse plastic bags...not always, but they get recycled as well.  I have a few charities and causes I support both financially and physically.  Getting rid of plastic bags is one.  

Other countries introduce charging to cut back on the effect for the environment any charging policy here would solely be for profit. If its the environment you really care about I would suggest a petition to stop the toxic fumes from the buses, trucks and older vehicles, these are doing far more harm on a colossal scale in Thailand than the plastic bags.

What about every other freaken thing on store shelves (just not 7-11) that comes in plastic containers/wrapping.  The next time you go into a store just look at what the product is contained in....plastic...plastic...plastic.   But hey, I guess trying to get rid of the plastic bags you use to carry out all the stuff in plastic you just bought is a start.

1 hour ago, Deepinthailand said:

One small step for Thai's, one giant step for Thailand. 

While on the surface the petition might seem like a good suggestion, CP are just passing the buck to someone else rather than taking any responsibility. In all my years here I have never seen them really push for a reduction in plastic bag consumption regardless of what the reply says.