Thai I.D for Thai / English son

udomsook

Hi,

Wonder if anyone could help with this.

My son is almost twelve years old.

He was born in the UK but moved with me and his mum to Thailand aged two.

Since divorced from mum and I as father on the birth certificate (English translated to Thai birth certificate) have sole legal custody after a court decision.

Mum is not on the scene, last I heard is that she is living in Italy. 

Tried to process a Thai I.D for him at the Amphur only to be told mum must process it. But mum isn't here on the scene and hasn't had any contact with her son in ten years.

Has anyone managed to process the ID for their half-Thai child without the Thai parent being present?

Thanks for any advice. 

I haven't been down to amphur to check myself but I've heard that the rules actually specify Thai parent which would mean that a child with one western parent would not be able to get an ID card until majority if the Thai parent dies

I suggest take your son down to the police station and ask him to, with your help, make a missing persons report for his mother. Then your son and you go down to the amphur, hand that over and request copies of the rule stating Thai parent

If it really states Thai parent, then you need to take the issue to Juvenile court. Just let your son do the talking

By the way: You don't say if court order is British or Thai or if you ever were legally married in Thailand so it is not clear if the mother has sole custody here in Thailand or not. I doubt that it will matter but amphur will certainly not help if the mother has sole custody

Edited by MikeyIdea