Strange experience at immigration... "explenation" anyone?

KIO

Hi all,

Hoping someone could shed some light as to what happend to me, my wife and son yesterday at the Hua Hin immigration office as, after 7 years in Thailand, this one rates in the category strange:

Firstly, me and my wife (out of experience) went there to recon last week and to collect all necessary forms and made all the copies needed for the "simple" tourist visa 30 day extention. When everything was collected and done I personally asked 2 different officers if this (the forms correctly written, one photo each, copies of the passports and 1900 b each) was all that is needed when handing in the extention... -Yes, sure (bloke nr.1)... -Yes, don't worry (bloke nr.2).

Yesterday we went after my sons school finished (as many here on the forum has recommended going afternoon) and arrived at 2.30 PM. Took a number, sat down and got our number called within 5 minutes. Now comes the "what the hell happened" part: As soon as the 3 of us sit down infront of the immigration lady she sais -Where is your lease contract for the house you've put down as your adress? -Ehhh, I reply? -Yes, you have to provide the original signed lease contract. How are we else to know this is your adress?

At this point (being quite used to situations like this) I mention that I was here a couple of days ago and no one mentioned this and I did not see this information printed on any of the forms I have filled in. -No matter, we need this lease contract. OK, so I scramble on the phone to my agent and tell her I need this faxed to me (even though it's not going to be the original which seems not important anymore) at the immigration office. She, whom of course is out showing houses at the moment, sais she needs 20 minutes making this happen. I tell the officer and she sais fine!

While we are waiting for the papers to come to their fax we notice she is actually starting to process all 3 of our passports (not in a rush) and after circa 20 minutes she tells us to take a seat in the waiting section and hands the paper and the cash to the girls handeling the change. OK then we think and me and my wife look a bit confused at each other but sit down and wait (still no papers has come in the fax).

Another (max) 5 minutes my name is called and I am handed all 3 of our passports which I look if the stamp is correct, which it is... sit down again, even more confused, and talk to my wife of our gameplan as the officer is now handeling new applicants. She walks over to the officer, nicly asks if everything is ok... the officer turns her head over to the fax machine (still no papers) and sais -All OK, you can leave.

Anyone care to elaborate?!?

KIO

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The lease is required at some Immigration Offices, maybe they are now asking for it at HH also

"she tells us to take a seat in the waiting section and hands the paper and the cash to the girls handeling the change. OK then we think and me and my wife look a bit confused at each other"

Thai is how the process works, nothing to worry about

9 hours ago, darrendsd said:
The lease is required at some Immigration Offices, maybe they are now asking for it at HH also

"she tells us to take a seat in the waiting section and hands the paper and the cash to the girls handeling the change. OK then we think and me and my wife look a bit confused at each other"

Thai is how the process works, nothing to worry about

It wasn't the actual handing over the papers part that confused us but rather that she handed over the papers, thus continuing the processing without recieving the lease agreement...

KIO

Skickat från min G7-L01 via Tapatalk

They made a random unnecessary demand to be difficult, and then simply forgot/couldn't be bothered to follow through.

This counts as lucky, don't knock it.

Yeah, we figured this might be the case... surprise surprise ey :-)

KIO

Trying to reason out why they do what they do at immigration is like trying to predict how pick up sticks will fall. I know there are "chaos theory" scientists who can see patterns where there may be none, but I bet they haven't been to Thailand....

Trying to reason out why they do what they do at immigration is like trying to predict how pick up sticks will fall. I know there are "chaos theory" scientists who can see patterns where there may be none, but I bet they haven't been to Thailand....

Haha, good one and I agree, bet they haven't!

KIO

You got what you wanted/needed.   As the prophet John said "Let it be".
Think long, think wrong.

I know, just that it really frustrates one when things like this happen (which is daily) LOL!

KIO

43 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

i am going to fly back to nz each xmas to get my family visa from now on. they follow a simple set of rules systematically there.

What, and deprive someone of having their jollies here?

9 minutes ago, silent said:

What, and deprive someone of having their jollies here?

funny thing is the nz visa center is great when i get visas for my girl to go for trips back to nz. the visa center in nz is great when i go to get my visas for thailand. . problem is when i try to get my visas here. will just avoid doing it here from now on. they are not getting my money any more.

Very long story; but I kept reading in the hope that the next sentence would say. " It was a hot summer afternoon and I was at my best friends house when his 23 year old sister came out to sun tan. I had just turn 18 yrs and had been working out.

My friend said he was going to get some beer and would be back in 45 minutes. Just after he left 2 of her girlfriends came over to the house. "

And you know the rest of the story.

But sadly your story was boring and long.

Glad it worked out for you though.

cheers.

3 hours ago, klauskunkel said:
Anyone care to elaborate?!?

Yes.
The thing is, that there is this thing, you know. And that's all I can say about that. :wai:

Know what you mean mate!

KIO

26 minutes ago, bark said:

Very long story; but I kept reading in the hope that the next sentence would say. " It was a hot summer afternoon and I was at my best friends house when his 23 year old sister came out to sun tan. I had just turn 18 yrs and had been working out.

My friend said he was going to get some beer and would be back in 45 minutes. Just after he left 2 of her girlfriends came over to the house. "

cheers.

what's the ending, WHAT'S THE ENDING !!!

You should have made a story if you were still sitting there waiting for the fax coming!

See that on the positive way: the IO went over the rules and you got your stamp. Be happy and enjoy life !

Absolutley, I'm very grateful she bent the rules for us and I'm very happy enjoying life; 36 and retired.

KIO

Well this is weird, for a 30 day tourist visa extension there won't normally be a long term lease.

Thank you, that's what I thought and also what they told me during my recon visit a week earlier...

KIO

Hey, excuse me for being Swedish mate... we're born boooring LOL! Have to try keeping up with the Russians and Chinese whom always are pleasant being around!

KIO

8 hours ago, KIO said:

(being quite used to situations like this)

Yes, they probably hope to get some generous offer, just to speed up the process.

At least in your case, they bothered to make up some excuses for the delay, other "officers" just seat on front of you, waiting, waiting and waiting without a word, but as long as you have some spare time handy, they eventually get bored and give up, TIT

Yes, they probably hope to get some generous offer, just to speed up the process.
At least in your case, they bothered to make up some excuses for the delay, other "officers" just seat on front of you, waiting, waiting and waiting without a word, but as long as you have some spare time handy, they eventually get bored and give up, TIT

Agree! Also, I had my 8 year old son with me which might of helped!

KIO

1 hour ago, bark said:

cheers.

52 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

...then he woke up.