UK: right-wing extremist Thomas Mair given life term for MP Jo Cox’s murder

webfact

UK: right-wing extremist Thomas Mair given life term for MP Jo Cox’s murder

606x341_350454.jpg

LONDON: -- Thomas Mair, a white supremacist, has been found guilty of murdering British MP and mother of two Jo Cox.

The 41-year-old Labour politician was shot three times and repeatedly stabbed in her constituency in northern England a week ahead of the UK’s in-out referendum on EU membership.

Mair was handed a whole-life sentence and can only be released by the Interior Minister.

Old Bailey Judge Justice Wilkie concluded the act was premeditated. Mair is said to have thoroughly researched his intended victim and knew Cox was the mother of young children.

The trial heard the 53-year-old shouted “Britain first” and “Keep Britain independent” as he carried out the attack and he told the arresting officers he was a political activist. Cox had campaigned for the UK to remain in the EU.

Jurors were asked not to consider his motives, but to decide simply whether or not he was guilty of murder.

Cox’s death sent shockwaves around Britain and further afield.

A former resident of Brussels, she will be commemorated in the European capital with a public space in her name.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-11-24

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

He wasn't found to be mentally ill (which several Brexiteers on this forum were claiming). He was found guilty of premeditated murder.

Yes he was but that doesn't mean he is not mentally ill. I understand why the CPS went that way in its prosecution and I am not against that decision.  Also as a terrorist, again I am not against it just question the exact definition. Better he is in a maximum security prison than a cushy mental hospital prison with chance of parole as he can be cured. Just look at Ian Brady.

Just for those who don't think he was mentally ill to do what he did, when and how, if that doesn't make you a sick mentally ill person then what does.

Edited by Laughing Gravy

9 minutes ago, Kiwiken said:

Ban guns so he can't shoot people. oh Yes the UK has the strictest laws on Firearms in the World. 

Which is why the Uk has so few death by firearm incidents.... compared to say the US where guns are freely available.

It's not even firework science....

Edited by onthesoi

2 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Yes he was but that doesn't mean he is not mentally ill. I understand why the CPS went that way in its prosecution and I am not against that decision.  Also as a terrorist, again I am not against it just question the exact definition. Better he is in a maximum security prison than a cushy mental hospital prison with chance of parole as he can be cured. Just look at Ian Brady.

Just for those who don't think he was mentally ill to do what he did, when and how, if that doesn't make you a sick mentally ill person then what does.

If he was black, or brown, and had even the most tenuous Muslim connection, the newspapers would have headlined with "Terrorist", but of course he was a white neo fascist nationalist, so the Daily Mail, Daily Express and the Murdoch rags aren't going to point a finger at one of their own kind!

24 minutes ago, ThaiKneeTim said:

If he was black, or brown, and had even the most tenuous Muslim connection, the newspapers would have headlined with "Terrorist", but of course he was a white neo fascist nationalist, so the Daily Mail, Daily Express and the Murdoch rags aren't going to point a finger at one of their own kind!

He is  one crazy warped individual. Not part of a cell/ group of like minded people, committing terrible crimes on a daily basis.

2 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I do not see anyone suggesting he was not mentally ill, however the point that is clear to all but those with their fingers in their ears is that in the week before the referendum, the atmosphere in the UK of hostility and fear that was created through the naked racism and lies of the Brexit campaign and its chief liar, Farage, was palpable. Based on the evidence that is in the public domain, it is obvious that, on the balance of probability, Mair was provoked by this.

4 hours ago, SheungWan said:

He wasn't found to be mentally ill (which several Brexiteers on this forum were claiming). He was found guilty of premeditated murder.

His mental state was not on trial. 

His trial for murder was a formality. He was found guilty of murder as he should have been.

He should also face the death penalty. That is for another time.

No-one, from any side should be trying to make political capital out of this.

9 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I do not see anyone suggesting he was not mentally ill, however the point that is clear to all but those with their fingers in their ears is that in the week before the referendum, the atmosphere in the UK of hostility and fear that was created through the naked racism and lies of the Brexit campaign and its chief liar, Farage, was palpable. Based on the evidence that is in the public domain, it is obvious that, on the balance of probability, Mair was provoked by this.

Give it a rest.

Both sides were equally culpable in the telling lies stakes.

3 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

Give it a rest.

No, not when people continue to post uninformed or deliberately misleading comments.

3 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

Both sides were equally culpable in the telling lies stakes.

But only one side was responsible for the generating the climate of hate that was created and, unfortunately, still remains.

Hate crimes soared by 41% after Brexit vote, official figures reveal

9 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

No-one, from any side should be trying to make political capital out of this.

There is absolutely no capital to be made from this tragedy, but it is a stark example of how the irresponsible behaviour of politicians can have catastrophic unintended consequences.

17 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

No, not when people continue to post uninformed or deliberately misleading comments.

But only one side was responsible for the generating the climate of hate that was created and, unfortunately, still remains.

Hate crimes soared by 41% after Brexit vote, official figures reveal

There is absolutely no capital to be made from this tragedy, but it is a stark example of how the irresponsible behaviour of politicians can have catastrophic unintended consequences.

When both sides turn up the lying rhetoric, it only serves to crank up the next ludicrous claim, they are both responsible.

Trust me when I tell you that you do not have to tell me about irresponsible behaviour of politicians having unintended consequences. I can give you first hand experience, so to allude to it being a new phenomenon that has just appeared, or is related to Brexit is a crock.

Some people need to get there head around the fact, that sometimes life is bitch, bad things happen in this world and to try and lay the blame on a single event is absolutely futile.

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

Actually if you look on this thread that you contributed too. Grouse clearly states he was not mentally ill.  The judge said it and it was on the BBC news. AlexRich on another related thread, also unquestionably stated he was not insane. These two posters along with yourself are the ones who have used this rhetoric, to claim that due to the referendum and brexit, we have all become racist'. Something I totally disagree with.

5 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

If he was mentally ill then the courts would not have found him guilty of premeditated murder. Verdict guilty, not mentally ill.

11 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

If he was mentally ill then the courts would not have found him guilty of premeditated murder. Verdict guilty, not mentally ill.

No the courts wanted the biggest possible sentence (which I agree with), so he can't avoid a 'softer sentence. It doesn't mean he is not mentally ill. His action of killing Jo Cox shows that unless people who are sane, go around stabbing someone 14 times, shooting them in daylight and then calmly walk away. Hardly the actions of 'sane person'. The courts did what they did to ensure that he stays in prison. which I agree with.

4 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

No the courts wanted the biggest possible sentence (which I agree with), so he can't avoid a 'softer sentence. It doesn't mean he is not mentally ill. His action of killing Jo Cox shows that unless people who are sane, go around stabbing someone 14 times, shooting them in daylight and then calmly walk away. Hardly the actions of 'sane person'. The courts did what they did to ensure that he stays in prison. which I agree with.

The courts duty is to uphold the law, something which you appear not to understand. If the courts judge a person to be mentally ill then they are not convicted of premeditated murder. Not difficult for most to understand but others have an agenda and attempt to muddy the waters to the end.

3 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Loner who was radicalised by the far right nutjobs.  Not mentally ill, just easily manipulated, like so many others.

He was not 'easily manipulated'. Do you understand what the word 'premeditated' means?

Edited by SheungWan

6 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

The courts duty is to uphold the law, something which you appear not to understand. If the courts judge a person to be mentally ill then they are not convicted of premeditated murder. Not difficult for most to understand but others have an agenda and attempt to muddy the waters to the end.

I imagine I understand the law much better than most in the courts. The point is that the whole case is if the judge had said he was mentally ill he could and probably would off been sent to a Psychiatric prison. Totally different and could have had a case for partole, if he w

'was cured' in the future. I have no agenda, Just know how the courts work. 

Edited by Laughing Gravy

1 minute ago, Laughing Gravy said:

So you call someone the way he  executed and brutally murdered Jo Cox sane and not insane? I wouldn't like to meet your sane friends.

The courts have a process to determine whether an individual is mentally ill and therefore able or unable to stand trial. In this case the courts determined that the individual was able to stand trial and subsequently convicted of premeditated murder. Your personal, non-legal opinion is secondary.

6 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I imagine I understand the law much better than most in the courts. The point is that the whole case is if the judge had said he was mentally ill he could and probably would off been sent to a Psychiatric prison. Totally different and could have had a case for partole, if he w

'was cured' in the future. I have no agenda, Just know how the courts work. 

I clearly understand the operation of the Courts better than you do. Assessment of mental capability to stand trial is not an arbitrary call by the judge depening on which way the wind blows.

Edited by SheungWan

1 minute ago, SheungWan said:

The courts have a process to determine whether an individual is mentally ill and therefore able or unable to stand trial. In this case the courts determined that the individual was able to stand trial and subsequently convicted of premeditated murder. Your personal, non-legal opinion is secondary.

:cheesy::cheesy:. yes OK then. The courts are always right and never get it wrong! Well I am sure his not taking the stand, not answering questions at the police interview has shown his sanity.

1 minute ago, dunroaming said:

Yes and it was pre-meditated.  That has nothing to do with him being easily manipulated.  Cannot see the comparison

Plenty of evidence of premeditation, none of manipulation. ie the Court determined that he knew exactly what he was doing.

6 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

:cheesy::cheesy:. yes OK then. The courts are always right and never get it wrong! Well I am sure his not taking the stand, not answering questions at the police interview has shown his sanity.

If you think the Courts were incorrect in this matter why don't you have a word with the Defence Team and prepare a case for appeal for them.

Edited by SheungWan

5 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Plenty of evidence of premeditation, none of manipulation. ie the Court determined that he knew exactly what he was doing.

Oh I see, so he just woke up one morning and decided he was a white supremacist.  All the books found in his home were just incidental then.  I am impressed by your knowledge