Tesco 'stays committed to Thailand'

webfact

Tesco 'stays committed to Kingdom'
By KWANCHAI RUNGFAPAISARN 
THE NATION 

afb8fd289c6e315007dea1a4ace61ff3.jpeg

Dave Lewis, left, chief executive officer of UKbased Tesco Group, meets with Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak, right, during his visit to Thailand to discuss on the group’s plans and commitment to continue its investment in the Kingdom.

BANGKOK: -- DAVE LEWIS, chief executive officer of UK-based Tesco Group, has reaffirmed the group’s commitment to investing in Thailand, which is recognised as one of its strategically important markets and the company’s largest outside the United Kingdom.

Lewis met with Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak on Tuesday during a visit to Thailand to discuss the group’s plans to continue its investments here and intention to raise the standards of the Thai fresh-food supply chain, while supporting farmers and small and medium-sized enterprises.

“Tesco Group is confident in the strong fundamentals and resilience of the Thai economy,” he said. “We are committed to continuing our investment in Thailand to better serve our customers here. This includes new store openings and expanding our online channels, which enable customers to access high-quality products at low prices. 

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/corporate/30300690

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-11-24

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well of course they're commuted to South East Asia, and Thailand in particular, it was making money for them while they were losing millions in their failed 'Fresh & Easy' attempt to enter the US grocery market.

The Thai business is also a useful money laundering operation for Tesco; they buy goods made in Thailand from the Lotus profits then sell them in their British stores, thereby avoiding embargoes and taxes on transferring money out of Thailand, and all totally legitimate.

I thought a year or two ago that Tesco said it wanted to sell its Lotus subsidiary in Thailand. What happened, they couldn't find a buyer, so now they're 'committed' to Thailand instead of riding off into the sunset with their saddlebags full of cash?

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Lewis met with Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak on Tuesday during a visit to Thailand to discuss the group’s plans to continue its investments here and intention to raise the standards of the Thai fresh-food supply chain, while supporting farmers and small and medium-sized enterprises.

I've just checked Tesco Online and found not one grain of rice from Thailand. 

Not much support for Thai farmers atall.........:sad:

This a kinda random question, but what is it with you Brit's and this obsession with supermarkets?

I read the BBC and am always perplexed by the amount of coverage given to the inner working, machinations of the supermarket business.

I struggle to remember a single instance of a news article hitting the front page of the NYT, WSJ, Bloomberg, CNN, Fox, regarding some major news event about Safeway, Albertsons, Vons, Whole Foods, etc etc

56 minutes ago, roger101 said:

I always have a problem in Tesco with the small display. Big C have a nice size display which I can see clearly without my glasses.

Totally agree. Big C and Makro have readable displays. The miniature ones in Tesco Lotus are unreadable unless your eyes can get within 20 cm of them........and big screens are so cheap these days.

4 hours ago, ThaiKneeTim said:

Well of course they're commuted to South East Asia, and Thailand in particular, it was making money for them while they were losing millions in their failed 'Fresh & Easy' attempt to enter the US grocery market.

The Thai business is also a useful money laundering operation for Tesco; they buy goods made in Thailand from the Lotus profits then sell them in their British stores, thereby avoiding embargoes and taxes on transferring money out of Thailand, and all totally legitimate.

Very few Thai goods in UK stores. Care to back up your accusation with facts? Any? From any source?

24 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

This a kinda random question, but what is it with you Brit's and this obsession with supermarkets?

I read the BBC and am always perplexed by the amount of coverage given to the inner working, machinations of the supermarket business.

I struggle to remember a single instance of a news article hitting the front page of the NYT, WSJ, Bloomberg, CNN, Fox, regarding some major news event about Safeway, Albertsons, Vons, Whole Foods, etc etc

And don't you wonder why something as important to everyone's life such as supermarkets, something everyone uses, is ignored by the US media? I'd find that strange.

4 hours ago, petermik said:

I hope Tesco mince pies will be hitting the shelves here very soon :thumbsup:

Good point. And I find it very odd that Tops, who quite obviously target foreigners with their stock and high prices, totally ignore Christmas items. No mince pies, no Christmas puddings. Nothing festive at all, except the Thai gift baskets.

',,, a significant amount of investment will be spent on revolutionising the entire fresh-food supply chain in Thailand to elevate quality and safety standards'. Hmm. Will Thais tolerate being taught about quality and safety by foreigners? The track record isn't good. Thai system good. Falang no unnerstan.

1 hour ago, Muhendis said:

I've just checked Tesco Online and found not one grain of rice from Thailand. 

Not much support for Thai farmers atall.........:sad:

Well, I was stunned to read your comment. Not "a grain" of truth. The U.K. has a huge South Asian population,thus the popularity and choice of basmati and others. Thais are significantly less populous, so Thai rice less choices. Tesco's rice selections are incredible. Here's some Thai rice for your supper.:smile:

thairice2.jpger.thai rice1.jpg

39 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And don't you wonder why something as important to everyone's life such as supermarkets, something everyone uses, is ignored by the US media? I'd find that strange.

Honestly dude, in the scale of whats important to our life...you seriously think supermarkets are up there?????

12 minutes ago, Chip Allen said:

Brilliant!!! "Committed to Thailand" as they force your countrymen out with ridiculous new income and health insurance requirements. Well played, gentlemen, well played.

Has anyone actually been forced out due to these possible regulations that may apply to new retirees?

Just now, ratcatcher said:

Has anyone actually been forced out due to these possible regulations that may apply to new retirees?

Not yet....Wait for it. It will happen. Meanwhile retailers from the UK and USA are lining up to support a country which does not support their countrymen.

..........   intention to raise the standards  ......  

And what  about the cheesy, dirty, worn out Tesco

on the outskirts of Bangkok,  the ones with rusty, filthy fridges?

Are they going to get upgraded? 

What about adding some healthy food? I keep looking and looking but nope,

it's not there..............

:sad:

I love the Tesco finest products. My favourites include; Tikka Massala, Balti, shortbread, speciality crisps, beer batter cod and the speciality chocolates. The Tesco value stuff is pretty good as well e.g gravy granules, stuffing mix herbs etc. The finest stuff includes wines from Italy, France and Chile, they also had some very low price but nice Aussie wine in their regular section. This was all at Tesco Pattaya

3 hours ago, Big Guns said:

I love the Tesco finest products. My favourites include; Tikka Massala, Balti, shortbread, speciality crisps, beer batter cod and the speciality chocolates. The Tesco value stuff is pretty good as well e.g gravy granules, stuffing mix herbs etc. The finest stuff includes wines from Italy, France and Chile, they also had some very low price but nice Aussie wine in their regular section. This was all at Tesco Pattaya

Tesco are not daft ,they know that a place like Pattaya  CM, ect  will have a good selection of farang  food ,a large population of  farang's, the other 80% plus of Tesco  stores only stock  goods leaning towards the Thai market ,some one wrote last  year about  British beer being sold at they local Tescos ,in the 7 year Tesco's in  Lopburi has been open never seen  British beer ,not seen  shortbread  for a few years .will say  they  wine selection is good ,and when will they have some form of stock control ,something runs out  and that is it for some months, until new stock arrives

I hope Tesco's in LOS are making some money for the company ,as the home  home market  is not good ,the unilever   episode did not help .I will not lose any sleep if they go pear shape ,for years they where screwing uk dairy farmers  by selling milk as a loss  leader.

As for Christmas goods in they shops in LOS  no hope ,to smaller market , and the thought of Tesco value mince pies ,I would rather go without ,like Tesco value tea bags .

6 hours ago, khunbillmex said:

I'd like to see Tesco-Lotus invest in better cash register display and get rid of the small and mostly faded out ones.

Maybe its just their Kohn Kaen branch or do  members elsewhere experience the same dim displays?

Only yesterday I was saying exactly the same thing (Bangkok).

Thought maybe my eyes were getting worse but my wife said it's Tesco, not your eyes... :blink:

5 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Whereas news about walmart is never in the US press eh?

I seem to remember their joint partner CP sold out in 2003 when Thaksin was giving them gip about foreign ownership or some such like. Which probably means they are on their own now. Maybe a Carlsberg Round 1 is looming. Why should some greasy farang make money out of Thialand  that's the job of the Thai-Chinese. Tesco is often sh&t now back in the UK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesco_Lotus

Edited by beautifulthailand99

8 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

actually we hear a lot of news about american babies shooting their redneck mothers in Walmart by accident....