taxi driver did something so that the taxi fare went up by 20 baht

vistascape

i was at the hotel and the meter stopped at 170 something. when i was going to pay, the fare suddenly raised to 190 something. i saw his hand move down to the shiftgear quickly, whether this has something to do with this is unsure.

have you ever seen/heard something similar?

this happened in bangkok.

Edited by vistascape

I've had good luck with BKK taxi drivers, keeping in mind my policy of staying away from stationary taxis in front of tourist traps.  

But I get suspicious when one taxi driver pushes one button to turn on the meter, and the next one fiddles with 4 or 5 buttons and flips a switch or 2 just to start the meter. 

I've seen the same thing the OP describes, mostly in China.  But I have no doubt it happens in Thailand.  I suspect I've been the victim of a rigged meter occasionally, but it's still a cheap ride- and life's too short.  

Even shorter if you piss off the wrong taxi driver- as some poor American guy did over 50 baht.  Betcha his family wished he'd gotten a do-over.  But we don't.

The meters I used back home (was Taxi driver in past life) had in fact two meters in one.....one that charged according to the miles (klms now) and then there was the clock that charged for the time ...waiting time (for time waiting after taxi is booked, outside homes, hotels, traffic jams etc.,). Sometimes after stopping at the end of your journey one might be unfortunate enough to have the clock just mark up another  minute (or whatever) amount as you are getting your money out, that would be too late to add on to the fare (but some drivers might "try it on). 

Another way to "bump" up the fare would be to hit the "extras" button. That is used for baggage  that goes in the boot. Let's say each bag that goes in the boot is charged at a rate of 20 Bt. for each one, three bags would be an extra 60 on the fare. Sometimes a driver can "accidently" hit that button when moving the gear stick into position....thus putting an extra 20 Bt onto the total ( if he only hits it one time?).

Hope this was helpful.

Meters usually run on time and distance - - I doubt any elaborate effort went into to cheating you out of so small an amount.... Were you in a bit of traffic just before arriving at your destination? 

On a 170 baht fare, I probably would have given him 200 and let him keep the change - so, if it clicked over to 190, I would have done the same... 

Bangkok taxi rates are some of the cheapest in the world... I doubt that there is any major scam at work in cheating you out of a half bowl of soup... 

Happened to me in another s e Asian country.

You have an idea from time and distance what the fare will be. this driver had fiddled something as the fare was four times my 'feeling'.

He kept the ytaxi doors locked as I wouldn't pay. because the conversation was going nowhere, and him not speaking English much, I took photos of cab I'd and him (as best I could) and told him I was calling the police. which I proceeded to do, but faked call.

Within a few something ententes of this call, he agreed to agreed crept my guesstimate. 

He unlocked the doors. I said no tip today mate. took a last photo as the taxi swept away.

Other times I've told the guy I've can't understand what he's talking about and would he please explain to the hotel concierge / museum guardian whatever.

Never had about my problems I've Thailand.  none. a couple of "wrong ways". but nothing. and I'm ready to ivenndulge these up to a point...ivenndulge a hard life for us all

Thai scams often evolve extremely slowly or remain unchanged for decades.

The OP has just described a taxi with a false meter. The meter speeds up or jumps in response to a button being pressed often near the gearstick or disguised as a radio switch.

I remember this being explained to me in 1999 by laughing Thais.

Here's a clip

Note the meter jumps when he changes gear. There are probably better clips.

56 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Meters usually run on time and distance - - I doubt any elaborate effort went into to cheating you out of so small an amount.... Were you in a bit of traffic just before arriving at your destination? 

On a 170 baht fare, I probably would have given him 200 and let him keep the change - so, if it clicked over to 190, I would have done the same... 

Bangkok taxi rates are some of the cheapest in the world... I doubt that there is any major scam at work in cheating you out of a half bowl of soup... 

20 baht x 5 or 10 customers a day can make a big difference in a driver's take home pay.

The fact that it's "only 20 baht" is why very few of us squeal when it happens.  Most of us wouldn't even notice it.

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

20 baht x 5 or 10 customers a day can make a big difference in a driver's take home pay.

The fact that it's "only 20 baht" is why very few of us squeal when it happens.  Most of us wouldn't even notice it.

It is a maybe maybe maybe - taxi meters flip over on time as well as distance... people get into taxis w/a major amount of suspicion/paranoia - much of which is unwarranted - yes, on occasion it is warranted... but as noted, I would have just taken it out of the tip... with all of the larger theft by banks and insurance companies and big pharma back in my home country - I am just not going to get upset by 20 baht that flips over on arrival, most likely on metered time in a taxi cab... 

I lived in Bkk for a few years and maybe 2x a taxi deliberately tried to rip me off and it was for more than 20 bht... it is not a perfect world. 

I recently went by taxi from home to CW for 90 day report,traffic was heavy,280 baht. Returning home in a different taxi ,traffic was light,on reaching a point about 2/3 of the home journey meter showed 280 baht,I indicated to driver that this is all I will pay. He stopped the (dodgy) meter and completed the trip no problems

Only 20 bahts… this is little compared to the merry go round I was given a week ago from the swamp to the Empire Tower. He wanted 500 baht upfront… I told him no way knowing it should not cost that much and told him to put the meter on! However he took the long way around, insisted I pay toll fare and in the end showed me a piece a paper that fares from the airport he had to add 50 baht… total fee 450 bahts…  he spoke very little English and at this point I knew I had been taken for aride and I didn't feel any argument with a Thai's unspoken English would do me any good, paid him and told him to let me out of the car… yes it was locked!  He only ruined it for himself as I now have lost all faith in Bkk taxi drivers. Has I got out in front of the Empire Tower I saw a Bts station… after my business was done I used it to get back to swampy… now I know the cheapest way to this part of Bkk and recommend to anyone to really look at google maps before using a swampy taxi driver… it might save you a few bahts!

18 minutes ago, mike324 said:

this is actually a pretty rare scam if it was in fact a scam, an easy way to check if you were ripped off would be to check how many km you travel and look it up on the chart which some taxis have, it will give a good indication

May be rare, but that means it does happen.  The OP may have been one of the few, the proud, the...  I think I have my metaphors mixed up.

In BKK traffic, I often pay almost as much on the wait-o-meter as on the mileage.  It happens when it takes an hour to go 5 or 6 km.  It's legitimate, and my heart goes out to the drivers when it does happen.  I'd hate driving in that mess.  But I pull out the smartphone and watch a video and time flies- even if we don't.

23 minutes ago, gillap said:

Only 20 bahts… this is little compared to the merry go round I was given a week ago from the swamp to the Empire Tower. He wanted 500 baht upfront… I told him no way knowing it should not cost that much and told him to put the meter on! However he took the long way around, insisted I pay toll fare and in the end showed me a piece a paper that fares from the airport he had to add 50 baht… total fee 450 bahts…  he spoke very little English and at this point I knew I had been taken for aride and I didn't feel any argument with a Thai's unspoken English would do me any good, paid him and told him to let me out of the car… yes it was locked!  He only ruined it for himself as I now have lost all faith in Bkk taxi drivers. Has I got out in front of the Empire Tower I saw a Bts station… after my business was done I used it to get back to swampy… now I know the cheapest way to this part of Bkk and recommend to anyone to really look at google maps before using a swampy taxi driver… it might save you a few bahts!

I avoid taxi drivers as much as possible.

The rail link to Swampy is great. I use it every time.

I have even used it to get to Patters from in the city by catching the coach from Swampy.

Edited by 12DrinkMore

4 minutes ago, gamini said:

big deal! 20bt. boring post

yes this IS a big deal and if Thousands of Taxi drivers would get away with doing this it would amount to millions quickly.

and people like you are the reason why they in many cases indeed get away with it.

If you think the fare is too low, give your driver a TIP. But as for cheating - NO WAY, zero tolerance should be applied, not even 25 Satang

3 minutes ago, siam2007 said:

yes this IS a big deal and if Thousands of Taxi drivers would get away with doing this it would amount to millions quickly.

and people like you are the reason why they in many cases indeed get away with it.

If you think the fare is too low, give your driver a TIP. But as for cheating - NO WAY, zero tolerance should be applied, not even 25 Satang

What do you plan to do about it though? 

I mean I pick my battles man, 20 baht, take it. Not even worth the hassle to dispute. TIT rip offs abound. 

29 minutes ago, gillap said:

Of course you have to pay the tollway charges as a PAX. That is normal. If there was a need to actually take the tollway is another question, but if coming from Swampy, there is usually little chance to avoid tollways. And yes, a 50 Baht fee has been added to the meter fare since decades. But you were right to refuse a flat rate. Everyone can easily report drivers to the transport authority, and the more people do this, the better.

3 minutes ago, Strange said:

What do you plan to do about it though? 

I mean I pick my battles man, 20 baht, take it. Not even worth the hassle to dispute. TIT rip offs abound. 

it is very easy nowadays even for an English speaker to report drivers, for example for using rigged Meters. there is even an APP. Luckily, as I can make myself understood in Thai and rarely visit the most infamous rip-off areas, I never had the need to do so in what must be more than 1.000 rides over the years. I do agree and somehow understand that most people cannot be bothered, and the drivers know this

Edited by siam2007

4 minutes ago, siam2007 said:

it is very easy nowadays even for an English speaker to report drivers, for example for using rigged Meters. there is even an APP. Luckily, as I can make myself understood in Thai and rarely visit the most infamous rip-off areas, I never had the need to do so in what must be more than 1.000 rides over the years. I do agree and somehow understand that most people cannot be bothered, and the drivers know this

Ive never been ripped off in a taxi that I'm aware of either. But again, 20 baht, what are you gonna do? Stand at the drop off point and refuse to pay while you dial the number and contest? I mean I get it but nobody in authority cares. 

Plus you run the risk of the whole childish loss of face. 

Edited by Strange

2 hours ago, Lamkyong said:

some of the replies are in my opinion are missing the all important op point

he felt he was being cheated  no matter what the amount  if correct the driver  was attempting/did   cheat his customer  full stop

I agree there is a principle here. It is not always prudent to pursue a principle for the sake of B20, especially where there is a problem of language and possible serious conflict. Unfortunately, the evidence is a bit weak. There is a difference between suspicion or the possibility of a mistake by either party, and obvious blatant cheating.

Edited by ChrisKC
Additional comment

16 minutes ago, Strange said:

Ive never been ripped off in a taxi that I'm aware of either. But again, 20 baht, what are you gonna do? Stand at the drop off point and refuse to pay while you dial the number and contest? I mean I get it but nobody in authority cares. 

Plus you run the risk of the whole childish loss of face. 

yes you could call the complaint hotline or report via the app, because you never know - maybe there have been more complaints regarding this driver or he has been fined before and warned already that he may lose his licence. Constant dripping wears away the stone, they say

2 hours ago, MartinKal said:

Never had about my problems I've Thailand.  none. a couple of "wrong ways". but nothing. and I'm ready to ivenndulge these up to a point...ivenndulge a hard life for us all

I find it hard to believe that he didn't understand you when you explained the situation.......:omfg:

Rigged meters used to be very common here. My standard approach was to see how far he'd try to push it, then laugh and say we've got to see what's wrong with your meter, turn right up here and pull into Lumpini (or whatever) police station. Nine times out of ten he'd then agree to turn the meter off and accept a reasonable fare to where I was going. Only a couple times were they silly enough to go to the station, in which case I'd roll down the window and start calling for a cop. Those trips were free.

So I almost miss rigged meters. Last one in Thailand was easily ten years ago. Last one in Manila ... last month.

I have never been ripped off by a Bangkok taxi driver, but many have tried it at the time when I first came to live in Thailand and went to Bangkok, I asked one for an estimate from a taxi driver outside a hotel in Chinatown (I forget which one) to Hualampong Railway station. He wanted 250 Bt.