Police check point. Gimme a break

Anthony5

This evening at 8pm I travel in my car on the railway road between Khao Talo and Khao Noi.

On the second part of that road I encounter more bikes against traffic flow than ones going in the right direction.

Then about 100 meter before the cross section with Khao Noi I notice a policeman with a radio at the side of the road, and a road block about 50 meters ahead.

At the road block there are red cones at both sides and in the middle of the road, and I notice at least 10 policemen standing on the road.

While I drive slowly between the cones, on the other lane at least 5 bikes pass with rider and passenger without helmet, as if there is no check point at all.

One of them has even 3 full grown people on the bike, all without helmet of course, but they aren't even stopped for questioning.

Seeing these things make me really mad, because this corrupt organization is lately clearly forced by the army to set up check points, but then they refuse to do their job.

Coincidental just earlier today I was thinking, what would happen if one would rent such a big billboard along a toll way in Bangkok which said, Thailand police when you gonna start upholding the law.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

As long as they didn't stop you & ask for a bribe, wouldn't worry about it, their country, their relaxed laws, I don't really see an issue, "it is what it is" 555

Ever considered that it is because those fools don't do their job, 28.000 people evry year die on Thai roads, which tomorrow may include you or me?

9 minutes ago, Anthony5 said:

Ever considered that it is because those fools don't do their job, 28.000 people evry year die on Thai roads, which tomorrow may include you or me?

I hear you mate, but it has been the way it has been for ever, you and me can't change anything, people have to fear the police like back in Australia, you wouldn't think twice about leaving your place without a seat belt on, going over 60, or 40 in a school zone, all you can do is do as I do, have eyes everywhere and drive slow 555

"Coincidental just earlier today I was thinking, what would happen if one would rent such a big billboard along a toll way in Bangkok which said, Thailand police when you gonna start upholding the law. "

What would happen is we would be reading in the news about the foreigner charged with defaming the police...

1 minute ago, kkerry said:

"Coincidental just earlier today I was thinking, what would happen if one would rent such a big billboard along a toll way in Bangkok which said, Thailand police when you gonna start upholding the law. "

What would happen is we would be reading in the news about the foreigner charged with defaming the police...

Yes I know, telling the truth in Thailand, risks you to end up in jail.

Often it looks like checkpoints are set to seek a specific crackdown target only. Sometimes it's motorbikes,cars,pickups,big trucks,buses,insurance,helmets or licenses.They seem to stick to flagging only those vehicles. That way their crackdown numbers meet the need to show action was taken and the problem was solved.

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

While a zero-tolerance policy on helmets would save lives, it would also be somewhat impractical in the short-term.  Long-term it's a matter of slow education.

Helmet law is in place for 20 years already, which I don't call short term, but the real issue isn't that they didn't stop them for no helmet.

The issue is that they didn't stop them at all, so they could be drunk, carry a weapon or drugs, or whatever other SERIOUS offence.

Helmet law is in place for 20 years already, which I don't call short term, but the real issue isn't that they didn't stop them for no helmet.

The issue is that they didn't stop them at all, so they could be drunk, carry a weapon or drugs, or whatever other SERIOUS offence.

Random checks, while not ideal, is really all that is practical.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

The police checkpoint at the Suk end of Pattaya Tai was doing a roaring trade yesterday afternoon when I passed. Westbound side coned off to a single lane and half a dozen motorbikes being processed by the cops writing tickets.

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

The police checkpoint at the Suk end of Pattaya Tai was doing a roaring trade yesterday afternoon when I passed. Westbound side coned off to a single lane and half a dozen motorbikes being processed by the cops writing tickets.

Same in front of the police station at Soi 9 yesterday. I think they got Harley rider for those bright red skinny pants w/ matching bright red canvas sneakers.

on the other lane at least 5 bikes pass with rider and passenger without helmet, as if there is no check point at all.

One of them has even 3 full grown people on the bike, all without helmet of course, but they aren't even stopped for questioning.

Seeing these things make me really mad

Awww. But you see Thai cops don't multitask. They fixate on one issue at a time and ignore the rest.

Just the way it is and always has been. Gon' have to suck it up and carry on.

14 hours ago, Anthony5 said:

You KNOW the way it is, yet you still live in LOS. I find it strange that you think it will change if enough farangs complain about it, or perhaps you just like complaining about things as they are without being able to do anything to change it.

Myself; I like Thailand because it isn't like where I come from, and while I have experienced a severe road accident due to someone driving into me, I still want to live here, despite having to take the bad along with the good. While driving back home is safer than here, I hate it as always waiting for the fuzz to book me for driving 1 kph over the limit.

I just went to Friendship and the usual Tuesday/Friday traffic cops were set up between Friendship and TukCom. They were having a busy afternoon too, with around 7 or 8 bikes pulled over and a couple of very unhappy looking farangs waiting their turn. One Thai guy was trying to argue with one of the cops but getting nowhere, full points for trying anyway. I'd say that the usual high season traffic checks are now in full swing, with some extra added checkpoints at the Suk end of South Pattaya Road and Thepprasit. I haven't been there lately but I'm guessing there's also one at the Suk end of North Pattaya Road, can anybody confirm that?

1 hour ago, onemorechang said:

I don't believe they have anything to do with road safety or  safety of the pubic.

Its just one more Money collection day for

the  great pattaya,   Money Goround. :bah:

When would you believe anything otherwise? However, drinkin' at the Poker Bar yesterday and watchin' the entertainment at the checkpoint in front of the station, I saw a cop quickly nab a Thai talking on his cellphone while driving with a side cart filled with about 12 big bottles of propane. He coulda blown up the whole police station if he'd crashed right there. I'm glad they reprimanded that menace anyway. Yeah, yeah . . . .

Edited by JSixpack

2 hours ago, onemorechang said:

I don't believe they have anything to do with road safety or  safety of the pubic.

Its just one more Money collection day for

the  great pattaya,   Money Goround. :bah:

Well it IS near the end of the month and the mia noi would have already gone through last months money.

1 hour ago, JSixpack said:

When would you believe anything otherwise? However, drinkin' at the Poker Bar yesterday and watchin' the entertainment at the checkpoint in front of the station, I saw a cop quickly nab a Thai talking on his cellphone while driving with a side cart filled with about 12 big bottles of propane. He coulda blown up the whole police station if he'd crashed right there. I'm glad they reprimanded that menace anyway. Yeah, yeah . . . .

Yes , but  they most likely nicked him for no road Tax !!!!!!!!

21 hours ago, KMartinHandyman said:

Often it looks like checkpoints are set to seek a specific crackdown target only. Sometimes it's motorbikes,cars,pickups,big trucks,buses,insurance,helmets or licenses.They seem to stick to flagging only those vehicles. That way their crackdown numbers meet the need to show action was taken and the problem was solved.

Red light jumping is still tolerated. Never saw they stop one of this lunatics. Even worse, i got honked many times by cars because i waited for green to pass the intersection.

30 minutes ago, alocacoc said:

Red light jumping is still tolerated. Never saw they stop one of this lunatics. Even worse, i got honked many times by cars because i waited for green to pass the intersection.

Exactly, and that is also part of the reason why I got so upset that evening.

A few hours earlier I was on Nua Road and the pedestrian light at Tesco was red. Two minivans had already stopped for the light, so I was the third in row.

I noticed tourists already crossing the road from both sides, with the ones going towards Tesco unable to view upcoming traffic because of the stationary minivans.

Comes a cement mixer who had just left the Terminal 21 site, at full speed going through the red light, missing by a hair the tourists on the zebra's.

How can you not notice that you pass 3 stationary vehicles in line?

After the light turned green I went on my way direction Central Pattaya, and on the first red lights on 3rd road where you go right to Hollywood disco, I had to wait again because it was red. I was may be fifth in line there.

Again comes a car to the left side, honks the horn because some motorbikes were waiting on that lane, and goes through the light as if there was none.

Then when I reached sukhumvit over Pattaya Tai, where the light was already green when I arrived, I noticed 3 cars coming from the south side crossing the light whereby the bikes on Pattaya Tai road that already were moving had to brake abruptly to avoid being killed.

Edited by Anthony5

16 hours ago, Anthony5 said:

Exactly, and that is also part of the reason why I got so upset that evening.

A few hours earlier I was on Nua Road and the pedestrian light at Tesco was red. Two minivans had already stopped for the light, so I was the third in row.

I noticed tourists already crossing the road from both sides, with the ones going towards Tesco unable to view upcoming traffic because of the stationary minivans.

Comes a cement mixer who had just left the Terminal 21 site, at full speed going through the red light, missing by a hair the tourists on the zebra's.

How can you not notice that you pass 3 stationary vehicles in line?

After the light turned green I went on my way direction Central Pattaya, and on the first red lights on 3rd road where you go right to Hollywood disco, I had to wait again because it was red. I was may be fifth in line there.

Again comes a car to the left side, honks the horn because some motorbikes were waiting on that lane, and goes through the light as if there was none.

Then when I reached sukhumvit over Pattaya Tai, where the light was already green when I arrived, I noticed 3 cars coming from the south side crossing the light whereby the bikes on Pattaya Tai road that already were moving had to brake abruptly to avoid being killed.

The only way to survive Thai driving is to assume everyone is trying to kill you and drive accordingly. Saved me many times. The only time I was injured was when I was stationary and unable to avoid the idiot that drove into me.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

17 hours ago, Anthony5 said:

Zebra crossing in Thailand are very dangerous...  they should all be removed... they only give pedestrians a false sense of security.