Computer network

madmitch

Does anyone know of anyone that can come and set up a small internet network in a guesthouse in the Kata/Karon vicinity ?

Ours started to have problems, I tried to fix it myself and have naturally managed to make things worse! It doesn't help that most channels seem oversubscribed in the vicinity causing erratic internet coverage. I'm also having problems accessing router setting so that makes the task impossible for me. Our regular guy keeps promising to come but never shows so we've given up on him.

Details like provider, router type (and number of routers/repeaters), wifi only or LAN ... would be helpful

I would just call my internet provider's help line and just say internet not work, they send out one of their engineers, and if it's your equipment at fault then you bung him some baht to fix your problem. 

Edited by LivinginKata

3 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Details like provider, router type (and number of routers/repeaters), wifi only or LAN ... would be helpful

I would just call my internet provider's help line and just say internet not work, they send out one of their engineers, and if it's your equipment at fault then you bung him some baht to fix your problem. 

I have two main routers which work fine, with two different ISPs, which will act a the main access points but have a few routers that I want to use as bridges so the wifi reaches all the rooms. It's beyond the scope of those who installed the systems, though I'm sure for the right price those guys would take on a little extra work.

Sorry, I didn't make this clear. 

So you are having trouble with the 'bridges' ... I guess that's what I call repeaters.  I too have similar systems at my 3 properties.  I struggled with wifi repeaters to extend range for years, ended up scrapping all those boxes. Now I run a hard wire LAN line from main router to a repeater wifi box to extend range. Never had a problem.

Mind you recent technolgy with wifi extenders  seems to work better.  I bought a new wifi repeater this year and it seemed to work well. 

Can you run another router with WiFi  off  your main router , say with a 50 ft Cat 5-6 cable ,

Do you just plug it into the LAN port of the main router ?  

I would like to get WiFi into the back yard and there is not any signal back there ,   Routers are much easier to get than a dedicated repeater

2 hours ago, oldcarguy said:

Can you run another router with WiFi  off  your main router , say with a 50 ft Cat 5-6 cable ,

I would like to get WiFi into the back yard and there is not any signal back there ,   Routers are much easier to get than a dedicated repeater

You need to buy a wifi 'router' that works as a repeater. I have a 30m  LAN cable that runs the repeater just fine.  

4 hours ago, oldcarguy said:

You can "daisy chain" most wifi routers via a cable. Some will even do "power over ethernet" (PoE) so that your remote router doesn't need to be plugged into the mains. Just connect the WAN port on the router in the back yard to one of the ethernet ports on your main router at the house. You may need to do a little configuration on the routers so that each one is assigned a unique (non-overlapping) block of IP addresses to serve out to devices that connect. Your gateway IP will always be the gateway that's already configured for your network (which is the WAN port on the router at the house).

With that said, Repeaters are the easiest solution, as no complicated configuration is required, and the repeater takes on the network name (SSID) and password of your main router by default. I have an inexpensive one setup in my house, and it's working flawlessly. 

18 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

So you are having trouble with the 'bridges' ... I guess that's what I call repeaters.  I too have similar systems at my 3 properties.  I struggled with wifi repeaters to extend range for years, ended up scrapping all those boxes. Now I run a hard wire LAN line from main router to a repeater wifi box to extend range. Never had a problem.

Mind you recent technolgy with wifi extenders  seems to work better.  I bought a new wifi repeater this year and it seemed to work well. 

Wifi bridges are nice in theory, but rarely work well. 

Like LiK said, it's best to use cables between all network devices. The simpler the network is, the better it is.

Let the two ADSL/Fiber modems to handle the DHCP pool / firewall stuff and define the other devices as Wifi accesspoints, which simply forward all the traffic to the modems. 

46 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Wifi bridges are nice in theory, but rarely work well. 

Like LiK said, it's best to use cables between all network devices. The simpler the network is, the better it is.

Let the two ADSL/Fiber modems to handle the DHCP pool / firewall stuff and define the other devices as Wifi accesspoints, which simply forward all the traffic to the modems. 

Yes, access point is the correct technical term when looking to buy.  I prefer D-Link, last one I bought DAP-1360. It's a 7-in-1 with 7 different way to operate.   

My company installs enterprise WiFi systems.

What you want is....

Main router (Gateway)

|

Switch 

|

CAT cabling going to each floor (let's pretend you have a small guesthouse and one access point will cover each floor)

|

One of these access points on each floor: http://www.open-mesh.com/products/access-points/grp-om5p-ac-cloud-access-point.html

This is the proper way to do it. The WiFi access points are cloud controlled. They all automatically mesh together forming one big WiFi network.

You can create a private network (no bandwidth throttling, can connect to your LAN etc.) and then a guest network (can either use passkey or vouchers that work for X time etc... , bandwidth throttling, LAN/client isolation)

The day's of using repeaters etc. are gone - while in theory they should work, they don't. The way forward is saturated access point cover. The devices above can handle upto 50 users each no problem. You can increase / decrease power, change channels etc.. all the usual stuff can be done easily

It's not the news you want, but if you want it done properly and to be futureproof, you go with the above option. We just installed a similar system with about 20 AP's for a school. On average 250 users at any time. It runs perfect! (Granted they have a fibre line coming in with no contention, but that's a different story)