Is there any/much racism in Isaan

mrblonde

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Strange said:

I don't think you will find any racism or discrimination but might be stared at and ogled by some similar to an animal in a zoo that nobody has ever seen before. Its not really a negative thing but might get tiring lol

Not like its going to happen all the time but it might be a notable experience. 

Fly up to Udon Thani, stay a couple of nights, then head to Sawang Daen Din, from there you can go in and around to lots of villages, there are a couple of resorts in Sawang Daen Din, but without wheels you will be struggling, suggest you hire a car at the airport after you have spent a couple of nights in Udon Thani as you won't need one in there, from Sawang Daen Din you can take the drive to Sakhon Nakhon.

Make sure you have an international drivers licence and insurance that covers the car because insurance over here through rental companies is iffy.

Just remember Thailand has the 2nd highest road fatality in the world, avoid driving at night, people do drink and drive here with basically no police presence.

12 hours ago, mrblonde said:

The girls wanted to touch her hair and skin, and have their pictures taken with her (she is very glamorous).

You've answered your own question.  I've been touched many a time in the boonies and mothers will occasionally put their child's hand on you for good luck.  Nothing to worry about and definitely more pressing matters in the world. 

I have always found that Thai girls seem to be very interested in Black girls and ferang girls.With us its the eye colour,hair  colour and,of course the nose thing.They seem to appreciate beauty in another woman,more outwardly than our girls would show.before i met mrs Kaen,i had several gf's that would remark on a foreign g irls good looks.We lived in patts for a while and on the beach and there was many a mixed race girl on holiday.One gf i had was really interested in one mixed race girl we saw.She was fascinated by her skin colour and her braided hair.The girl was slim and pretty.I made a remark to my gf,and her answer left me in a miasma of fantasies. Its the same with Scandi girls as well,the Thai girls seem completely into them.

the reason we were on the beach was because it was my birthday,and we were celebrating with a pre birthday drink on the sand.My gf asked me what i wanted for my birthday.I looked at my gf and again at the beautiful black girl and i said,"well,if you really wanna know i wanna watch",she smiled very seductively and bought me a Rolex!:sad:

5 hours ago, LoVeFuN said:

Well Mr mrblonde may I congratulate you on yours tastes, first going to watch Man City and preferring darker skinned Thais. I will be visiting my GF shortly who comes from Issan and who is very dark. She wants me to keep out of the sun to remain as white as possible. She sometimes applies that face skin lightening cream that I personally don't like. As a previous poster said they have this inbuilt sense of white skin somehow appearing better but I don't think they are racist because of this preference. Maybe the Bkk Thais are different but I think the pair of you should have a good time. By the way a good post. 

Thanks LoveFun

To be honest I know/knew very little about football, was over there 8 or 9 years ago as a single guy in his 20's (in pattaya) and got dragged along to the match by my other mate, and i loved it.  Great atmosphere.  The darker skinned thai girls were partly the reason I met my mrs back in England (she knows this) after my Pattaya trips ended.  Even back then I loved the darker skin look, the food and even the thai music.  Fast forward 9 years and me and my British born chocolate lady both fell in love with Ayutthaya and she even enjoyed Pattaya (we both love a party) but we now both want to see the 'simpler' life (again maybe wrong choice of words, but hoping you Isaan experts understand).  She wants to see a traditional family cook from scratch, we want to see the locals working the fields and fishing with nets, stuff like that.  Going to be a huge language barrier we know, we are even considering getting chatting to an english speaking thai and asking them to translate for us for a few days (Am guessing its possible?) 

We are obviously going to be accepting any offers of guided tours or villages to visit from ex-pats or anyone in villages as we havent even decided where in Isaan to go yet  :) 

6 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

Seems to be a universal condition of man that communities have to find a class of people to stereotype and look down on.

I get the impression there are many more black-skinned foreigners around Isaan nowadays than when I first came to live here 9 years ago - lots teaching and travelling. Don't assume that Isaan in its larger towns and cities is the backwater that it's painted. I don't believe your girlfriend will feel at all uncomfortable relative to most other parts of the world.

Worst racism I experienced amongst Thais was sitting in business/first class twixt London and Bangkok, when I used to come here on business prior to immigrating. Not directed at me personally (to my face) but some of the conversations I got into about the world and life - jeez, I was not enamoured of the wealthy Thai Chinese business types. The older women were the worst (but that was a limited sample of a handful). 

[Caution - stereotype alert!] 

Thanks SantiSuk

I know (or guess) the larger towns/cities will be very multicultural and have all races passing through, we will probably use 1 or 2 towns/cities as a base next year, but really want to see the villages, with the houses built on stilts, the 5 kids all squashed onto 1 moped, buffalos in the road and the ever smiling, dark skinned locals.   Welcome to any suggestions of places in Isaan to visit?

And Ive seen the racism you are talking about years ago in thailand when I was with a particularly dark skinned thai girl (from a bar - I was a young single guy at the time), when we visited BKK, and a few touristy places like Nong Nooch gardens and Sanctuary of Truth, and the lighter skinned Asain tourists clearly thought they were better than my companion.  

Great post by the way, many thanks 

6 hours ago, mettech said:

I live in one of the small village in Issan and am one out of three of us here and They all call me uncle that is ok with me  they are good people but a bit behind on many things but we could just imagine how it was 50 or 60 years ago.

Kids are more educated and just an example they ride the bus I mean they stand on the roof and they wave every time they come by so nothing to worry they are people too.

Thanks mettech

This sounds exactly like what we want to see, I know what you mean by a 'bit behind', me and my gf spoke for hours while we was there in September, she described it as a 'simple and genuine innocence' (granted, not many girls we spoke to in Pattaya were innocent)

Any recommendations of towns/cities to base ourselves in next year, close enough to traditional villages we could visit too? We have no plans as of yet

Racism does exist usually will never see it to your face or bother you if you are here for a short while. You will probably not even notice it. 

But more than race is smell. Although my family are all down to earth farm people they are religious about their cleanliness. During hot season we can shower 5, 6 times a day. Always washing their feet, hair etc. Always amazes me when my wife will be out with a group and most of the conversation will be about food and how people smell. 

Unfortunately she will stereo type people based on their background. Part of why she is not fond of people from India region, French (but mostly the smoking backpacker group), surprisingly the Japanese (claims they all have stinky breath) and any Westerner who she claims don't bathe...ever. She says they have a smell of sour vinegar...

The first month i live in my wife village, many old women touch my arm. I am not sure they to check the white color or the power... but only old women...lol  

For Issan people, using "Negro" is not Offensive, it's just a qualifier ;)  But really they don't like too much the muslims...And Muslims as i know , is not a race...

Edited by BOBAKAT

Thailand national anthem says it all, 'Thailand is for Thais'. Can you imagine the outcry if England had a NA that said 'England is for the English'? A little hypocritical by the Thais to get a German to compose their NA. :shock1:

Edited by sinbin
Spellin

mrblonde ... great topic. I live in Isaan, and I can assure you that you will not experience any negative racial views towards your girlfriend. Quite the contrary I expect. The locals will be more intrigued about her exotic look. If I may suggest, there are several things you could do to prepare for your "Isaan holiday."

1 - Print a world map to show people where Jamaica (and UK) is. Everybody will ask "where you come from ?" I can almost guarantee that very few Isaaners will know where Jamaica is.

2 - Hire a car. An absolute must if you want to "get off the beaten tourist tracks" and see the real Isaan.

3 - Don't tie yourselves down by pre booking accommodation. There are zillions of empty resorts in Isaan that will welcome you on the spot with no pre booking.

4 - Try VERY hard to hook up with a farang guy with Isaan wife/girlfriend to travel with you, or in a 2nd car. Your experience will be 100% more enjoyable if you can actually converse with the locals, even if it's through a translator. You will enjoy an entirely different experience when the locals realise there is a Thai speaker in your group. You will miss so much if you can only talk English. 

5 - Every holiday needs a basic plan of itinerary. May I suggest ... get yourself up to Nong Khai quickly as a starting point, then follow the Mekong River eastwards all the way down to Mukdahan, then cut through central Isaan back to BKK. This will give you an awesome experience of Isaan. Big cities, amazing Mekong, endless little villages, farms, etc etc.

6 - Buy a map of NE Thailand. Your holiday will be so much more fun if you know exactly where you are 555

Really hope you enjoy your holiday, and be prepared for the locals genuine curiosity regarding your girlfriends' nationality. Cheers. 

6 minutes ago, electric said:

If I may suggest, there are several things you could do to prepare for your "Isaan holiday."

1 - Print a world map to show people where Jamaica (and UK) is.

Do you really think they'd be bothered? You could show them a map of SE Asia and I'd bet the majority couldn' t show you where Laos is. So Jamaica would be right over the top.  rolleyes.gif

Sinbin

I think you will find that the Thai National Anthem was written by an Austrian,So that accounts for the 'Thailand is for Thais'bit.And if you listen to it,it sounds very much like German drinking song.Dont know when it was written,but if it ws late 30's to 40's then you have your answer.

ken 24.

You wanna get your head out of your bum,old China.Where is it written in Cement that people HAVE to learn the language. Or learn to read.What about people that came here and have a learning disability,or are dyslexic,would you say thet they cant come here because of that.
What are you? another "we have to remember,we are only guests her" fanatic?

As####s like you,with your superior attitude about others should do best by keeping your tongue between your teeth.And dont forget old chum,that some of these people that"cant even hold a conversation" whether its due to lack of learning skills or some physical or mental challenge,could probably buy and sell your sorry ass 10 time over.

54 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Sinbin

I think you will find that the Thai National Anthem was written by an Austrian,So that accounts for the 'Thailand is for Thais'bit.And if you listen to it,it sounds very much like German drinking song.Dont know when it was written,but if it ws late 30's to 40's then you have your answer.

The Anthem was composed by a German.

The national anthem of Thailand was adopted on 10 December 1939. The melody was composed by German composer Phra Chenduriyang (Peter Veit) and the words are by Luang Saranupraphan.

The wording of 'Thailand is for Thais' isn't down to the German as he only wrote the music.

As an interesting experience in Isaan I would recommend teaching English in Ubon Ratchatani.  The "English Crazy Club" (https://englishcrazyclub.wordpress.com/) places volunteers in local schools to teach English.  I did it for a week several years ago. I was timid about teaching so they paired me with a teacher who had been there for a year and a half.

If you like they can probably find you a family to stay with. You can request to be in the city or in a village. I was (again) timid so I preferred to stay in a hotel in the city. I got around on a rented motorbike.

At the end I was so grateful for the experience and I liked the people there so much that I decided to make a donation to the school.  They made a big deal about it, marched me out into the yard at the whole school assembly to ceremoniously hand over the envelope to the assistant principal. They were very grateful too.

You could request to teach as a team, or separately, as you like. Given your concern, when you email them you could send them a photo of the two of you. From my experience with the English Crazy Club staff, I would be astonished if they were anything other than grateful and welcoming. Regarding the host school and family, the photo might be helpful for negative parties (if any) to self exclude themselves from hosting you. However, my guess is that they will be struck more by her beauty than her color, and you both will serve as great ambassadors.

Sinbin.

Thanks for the information re,Thai National Anthem.I was just about to google it myself.So it WAS written by a German,i tried to avoid saying that,i picked Austria as a more softer approach.But i always thought that it sounded like it should have been sung by a troop of Waffen SS in a beer keller somewhere in Berlin.

So it was written about the time of the German invasion of Poland then? (it gets better and better) I thought that Thailand was still called Siam in those days,and didnt change until the40's

I dont really care who wrote it,and i only stand still when its played for my wifes sake.I dont think i know any other country that has taken a Nazi type song as their National Anthem.

But then not long ago the kids were painting swastika's on school walls and Hitler moustaches, they didnt know what they stood for

Like the bar girl who i talked to years ago,in Patts.She had a guys name tattooed on her arm,below the name was his football team of choice,Newcastle,i think,and below that was a swastika.When i asked her if she knew what it was,She told me that her bf had asssured her it was a must have tat that all felang girls in the UK were having.He'd long since pissed off,and she was now stuck with it.She was a stupid ignorant girl,and he was a real prince.So it doesnt surprise me that an anthem that sounds like this has been taken into the hearts of the Thais,they have no idea what it sound like nor do they care.

On 26/11/2016 at 11:35 AM, loong said:

I don't believe that there is much racism in Isaan, they just believe that they are superior to ALL foreigners.

...........Like most US citizens then...........

E.g.,    ........'God bless America.....The greatest country in the World'

19 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Fly up to Udon Thani, stay a couple of nights, then head to Sawang Daen Din, from there you can go in and around to lots of villages, there are a couple of resorts in Sawang Daen Din, but without wheels you will be struggling, suggest you hire a car at the airport after you have spent a couple of nights in Udon Thani as you won't need one in there, from Sawang Daen Din you can take the drive to Sakhon Nakhon.

Make sure you have an international drivers licence and insurance that covers the car because insurance over here through rental companies is iffy.

Just remember Thailand has the 2nd highest road fatality in the world, avoid driving at night, people do drink and drive here with basically no police presence.

Why stop at SakNak?....Carry on to beautiful, unlike most of Isaan, Nakhon Phanom on the Mekong.

......Avoid bus travel at night too......High accident risk.

Last year my daughters had a black South African lady teaching English at her school in south Buriram. She was a excellent teacher and after some time was accepted in the school.

She told me she was shocked at how people would stop and point at her as she road her bicycle to school, some people shouting chocolate at her.

But I don't think people should be put of travelling in rural areas, many Thai people will not have seen a black person before. I remember the first time I went to my family's village people wanted to touch my hair and would stop and point at me. Later when we built a house people would  gather at the front of the house to look at me as I cut the grass, it was simply some thing they had never seen before.

You won't experience any racism on a short visit as tourists. Maybe things that would be considered un-PC in most western countries but mostly that's just showing interest or a little bit of ignorance that it seems your girlfriend can handle very well anyway. Real racism wouldn't surface unless, much as anywhere else in the world, you got into some serious conflict or represented a threat or competition in some way to local interests. 

Edited by KhaoNiaw

You won't experience any racism on a short visit as tourists. Maybe things that would be considered un-PC in most western countries but mostly that's just showing interest or a little bit of ignorance that it seems your girlfriend can handle very well anyway. Real racism wouldn't surface unless, much as anywhere else in the world, you got into some serious conflict or represented a threat or competition in some way to local interests. 

Or money was involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk