Turkey's President Erdogan threatens Europe with new wave of refugees

rooster59

10 minutes ago, Morch said:

End of story, says poster.

The US arms industry is hardly the only one benefiting from the war in Syria. Nor in other places.

Yes...but since I am an American I have no say in the polices of other sovereign nations. So therefore I save my ire for my own misbehaving government.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, tonray said:

Yes...but since I am an American I have no say in the polices of other sovereign nations. So therefore I save my ire for my own misbehaving government.

Although I can understand you ire for your own Government.

I fear you are somewhat misguided. You or I have no say in our Governments foreign policy, and we will never influence the Governments desire for more money.

Stop the foreign arms sales, watch your taxes go through the roof.

A  perfect world is nothing but a pipe dream, nobody is willing to pay for it.

9 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

Although I can understand you ire for your own Government.

I fear you are somewhat misguided. You or I have no say in our Governments foreign policy, and we will never influence the Governments desire for more money.

Stop the foreign arms sales, watch your taxes go through the roof.

A  perfect world is nothing but a pipe dream, nobody is willing to pay for it.

Actually the private sector garners the lion's share of profits. The Defense department approves and brokers the deals for a 3.5 % commission. The private profiteers, many ex military and government executives make the money...it does not do much to offset our tax revenues.

20 minutes ago, tonray said:

That still doesn't make the US arms industry the sole purveyor of weapons to conflict zones or questionable regimes.

2 minutes ago, Morch said:

That still doesn't make the US arms industry the sole purveyor of weapons to conflict zones or questionable regimes.

I cannot recall where I stated that....can you refresh my memory or are you simply posting for the sake of killing time ?

14 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

Sometimes things have to get worse before they can get better. 

That difference between accepting things somtimes getting worse and wishing for them to get worse ("I so hope he does...").

10 minutes ago, Morch said:

That difference between accepting things somtimes getting worse and wishing for them to get worse ("I so hope he does...").

I find it odd that certain supporters of the AfD ignore that if AfD came to power, in short order, it would be the death knell for the minority group orientation they support.

4 hours ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

Every time I see the news of late, the boats seem to be filled with the African illegal immigrant variety. The focus is on Syria , what's being done about all these Africans jumping on the Syrian conflict, merkal open door policy band wagon.....

Just like the rest of the West, Europe's leaders have decided their people have too much. So they're going to take what you have from you, give it to the Africans and Arabs, and eventually replace you.  All the while telling you how dangerous "populism" is, because then you might decide to do something about it.

5 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

I think refugees is a good term.  Stop the war in Syria, stop the stream of refugees.  Can't blame Turkey for this problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refugees_of_the_Syrian_Civil_War

Not so. A genuine refugee stops in the first safe country. Any that move on because they want a better life automatically become illegal immigrants. There is no human right to a "better life".

Yes, it's a terrible life, but that is what happens when you rebel against a government that has proven it will kill you for doing so. If they really want a better life, go back and fight for it in their own country, don't expect Europe to give it all to them.

If Erdogan really sends them all to Europe, will the EU ask for their money back?

Anyway, it will only be to the first country as all the others are building fences to stop them.

I bet a lot of Brits are REALLY happy they have opted out of the EU, but will Merkel try to make the UK take lots before the exit is formalized?

1 hour ago, tonray said:

I'm with Morch on that. Unless the US government owns the arms industry, or makes it illegal I don't see as they can be blamed for that one. If they stopped arms sales a HUGE number of Americans would be unemployed. It's a shitty world we live in, but I don't expect that is going to change any time soon.

2 hours ago, Morch said:

Russia is the major arms provider for the Syrian government. They are, supposedly, turning in a profit form sales and showcasing their merchandise.

However, the US arms Iraq and ergo IS, as they seem to have had no problem obtaining all the US vehicles and weapons they want.

1 minute ago, elgordo38 said:

You got to admit this guy is sitting in the Cock Birds Seat. He controls the tap of immigrant flows. This gatekeeper must be paid and his price is admission to the EU. He plays rough fast and loose. He should fit in well with the Brussels clique of clowns. 

True.

Sooner or later the EU is going to wake up and realise that he is playing them.

Unfortunately, as Turkey is in NATO, they probably don't want to make him opt out and run to Russia as an ally.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

True.

Sooner or later the EU is going to wake up and realise that he is playing them.

Unfortunately, as Turkey is in NATO, they probably don't want to make him opt out and run to Russia as an ally.

He has got all the bases covered and the umpires are all under lock and key. 

3 hours ago, Kiwiken said:

Perhaps if the right won in Germany they would repatriate the 3 million plus Turks living in Germany. How would Erdogan cope then?

Also, how would Mercedes factories cope if all those Turks were sent back? 

17 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

However, the US arms Iraq and ergo IS, as they seem to have had no problem obtaining all the US vehicles and weapons they want.

Russia sells to Iraq as well.

Not sure how the "ergo" bit  actually follows. ISIS uses whatever they can get their hands on, a lot of US made gear included. That's not to say that the US armed them.

Edited by Morch

2 hours ago, tonray said:

And the main supplier for the proxy war with Iran is........and the main supplier to the Syrian rebels is.......and the main supplier for the Yemeni establishment is......and the main supplier (unwittingly) for ISIS is........

America is exporting death and destruction for a profit. End of story. 

As Morch says, it's not just America.  In Syria, it's mainly Russia.  Has been this way for a long time.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/04/syria-war-showroom-russian-arms-sales-160406135130398.html

Syria's war: A showroom for Russian arms sales

Moscow's arms exports hit a record $14.5bn in 2015 with orders surging to $56bn, according to President Putin.

54 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not so. A genuine refugee stops in the first safe country. Any that move on because they want a better life automatically become illegal immigrants. There is no human right to a "better life".

Yes, it's a terrible life, but that is what happens when you rebel against a government that has proven it will kill you for doing so. If they really want a better life, go back and fight for it in their own country, don't expect Europe to give it all to them.

If Erdogan really sends them all to Europe, will the EU ask for their money back?

Anyway, it will only be to the first country as all the others are building fences to stop them.

I bet a lot of Brits are REALLY happy they have opted out of the EU, but will Merkel try to make the UK take lots before the exit is formalized?

That's what they've done.  Stop in Turkey, who doesn't want them.  And can't really take care of them.  I don't think those in this picture were rebels against their government, nor able to go back and fight.  External powers are making this war a mess.  Russia, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, etc.  Pass the UN Security Council resolution on prohibiting arm sales in Syria.  Oh way, Russia vetoed that.

http://media.worldbulletin.net/250x190/2012/08/17/hatay.jpg

5 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

That's what they've done.  Stop in Turkey, who doesn't want them.  And can't really take care of them.  I don't think those in this picture were rebels against their government, nor able to go back and fight.  External powers are making this war a mess.  Russia, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, etc.  Pass the UN Security Council resolution on prohibiting arm sales in Syria.  Oh way, Russia vetoed that.

http://media.worldbulletin.net/250x190/2012/08/17/hatay.jpg

That wouldn't end the war, though. Plenty of weapons around, and many parties who will just ignore or bypass the ban.

6 hours ago, tonray said:

The Europeans and the Americans want to keep selling weaponry, maintain a proxy war with Russia (at the Syrian's expense) and not have to deal with the consequences. I am an American and am horrified by our foreign policy. Stop selling the weapons and exporting death and maybe the flow will stop when Assad and Russia quell the rebellion.

Stop selling guns to them and they'll kill each other with knives and swords, even their bare hands. Killing seems to be their whole purpose in life. Blame the Syrians and the muslim culture, don't blame Europe and the US.

3 hours ago, Morch said:

Very true.

The US is just one of the countries that have supplied arms/are supplying arms to unstable and questionable countries.

Edit - politics and money, a combination made in hell....

Edited by dick dasterdly

44 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Stop selling guns to them and they'll kill each other with knives and swords, even their bare hands. Killing seems to be their whole purpose in life. Blame the Syrians and the muslim culture, don't blame Europe and the US.

I hadn't realised that some still believe that everyone in x country just want to kill each other 'with knives, swords even their bare hands' :sad:.

I'm obviously an ignorant person thinking that the majority just want to get on with their own lives - without those determined to obtain power (at any cost) killing them or destroying their lives.

2 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

But a no fly zone would stop the barrel bombing and probably reduce the number of refugees???

I'm not sure the barrel bombing by itself is a major factor with regard to the refugee figures. People run away from fighting in general. The no fly zones simply mean the killing will be carried out by other means. 

16 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

However Brussels still feels obliged to talk to this man because they're afraid of the consequences of upsetting him !

There's just no way the EU would accelerate Turkey's accession given Erdogan's rhetoric. It would be madness to do so even allowing for him to open the floodgates like he's threatening to do. Better to have another million illegals land on Greek shores than 75 million Turks.

And if he turns to Russia or China, he needs to be kicked out of NATO and quick.