Visitor Visa to the UK for Thai Wife

I plan to take my Thai wife on holiday to the UK in February for a few weeks and have filled in the online application and booked a visa appointment on the 28th December in BKK.

We have not had our Thai marriage certificates or her name change certificate translated or registered at the UK embassy, is this needed? She does have a new Thai passport as a Mrs and with my 2nd name.

For the reason to return to Thailand I was hoping it would be enough evidence to show that she has blue book and land chanote in her name and I have yellow book showing that we live together here in Thailand and I financially support everything. I have already booked return flights too.

I was going to get my Mum to write a letter saying we will be staying at her home in the UK along with some hotel bookings. I will write a letter from myself stating that I will cover all costs backed up with Bank Statements from UK and Offshore accounts, Thai bank Book, offshore payslips, and permanent employment contract from the ship where I work.    

I will also submit my passport (although no Thai visa at the moment), some photos together at home in Thailand and on a holiday to Hong Kong.

Any recent experiences or advice of what to submit as evidence would be much appreciated.

Took my wife to the UK in September. We did have our Thai marriage certificate translated....I believe it is necessary to have all documents in Thai that you intend to submit translated into English...that includes your tabien bahn. My wife did not change her surname after marriage as there is no legal requirement to so.

Used the friendly lady at Zenith translations to do all our work.

Maybe have a read through the pinned topic "UK Visit Visa Basics" at the top of the forum which gives an overview of the process.

But in answer to your queries, if your wife is submitting her marriage certificate and evidence of name change then they should be translated, there is no requirement to have registered these at the British Embassy, in fact there is no option to do so.

Evidence of her life in Thailand is imperative to provide evidence of her reasons to return and what you have suggested goes a long way to do doing this, if she is in employment then provide evidence of this as well as confirmation that a holiday is approved. As you live together in Thailand then, as well as the entry in the yellow book, provide evidence of your status in Thailand, copies of the relevant pages in your passport should suffice, though I note you don't have a visa, if you're in employment then provide evidence of that, though I suspect you're not.

As your mother is providing accommodation then, yes, she should provide a letter of invitation describing the accommodation available.

Details of return flights aren't actually required, in fact the UKVI specifically advise against purchasing non refundable tickets before a visa is issued.

As you seem to be funding the trip, then what you have suggested  would cover evidence of affordability, though if your employment is in the UK you will really need to push her life in Thailand, you should summarise your status in your covering letter.

The UKVI specifically advise against the submission of photographs.

I note the previous posters advice about including details of health cover, and whilst it's obviously important to purchase this before travel, there is absolutely no requirement to include this with the application, doing so would add nothing to the application. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies, looks like I will need to get our documents translated to English before we go for the visa application.

Sounds good advice to include the medical insurance statement on my introduction letter too.

I had read the pinned topic and found the info very useful, not so clear cut about the reason to return so fingers crossed the ECO agrees we have a life together in Thailand. My wife does not work and I support everything financially.

My employment is offshore working 2 months at sea followed by 2 months holiday where I live in Thailand. Unfortunately I will just be arriving on a Visa Exempt entry this trip in December but will show history of my other visas and evidence that I have spent 6 months per year in Thailand for the last 12 years +. 

Cheers,

Mark