Cuba's Fidel Castro, who defied US for 50 years, has died

rooster59

Around ten years ago, I spent a lot of time in Cuba on my own Yacht, in Hemingway Marina, I saw a lot of Cuba, travelling with locals and off the recognised trail

The medical system was good, and the people were some of the kindest in the world

Cuba would have been my choice to retire rather than Thailand, unfortunately because my Yacht had very sophisticated communication systems and sat phones I was suspected of spying, and made persona non grata

The education system is very good, unfortunately people were well educated, but then deneighed their expectations, and not allowed to leave Cuba, I often felt this was more cruel than leaving them as workers in the sugar cane fields without expectations

I loved Cuba and its people

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

One of the extraordinary men of modern times.

While some ( probably many ) will dislike his politics, he liberated his land from dictatorship, American imperialism and the mafia. His biggest mistake was no doubt permitting Russian missiles to be installed, which IMO allowed the US to impose a severe embargo for many years. Were it not for that, I reckon his regime would have not been so extreme, and relations with the US could have been normalized many years ago.

Within Cuba, he is no doubt remembered with fondness and respect, which, IMO, is the only thing that counts.

He treated his people terribly.  They are some of the poorest on this earth, all while under his rule.  If you've ever been there, you'd understand.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2008/02/18/cuba-fidel-castros-abusive-machinery-remains-intact

For almost five decades, Cuba has restricted nearly all avenues of political dissent. Cuban citizens have been systematically deprived of their fundamental rights to free expression, privacy, association, assembly, movement, and due process of law. Tactics for enforcing political conformity have included police warnings, surveillance, short-term detentions, house arrests, travel restrictions, criminal prosecutions, and politically motivated dismissals from employment.

Cuba’s legal and institutional structures have been at the root of its rights violations. The rights to freedom of expression, association, assembly, movement, and the press are strictly limited under Cuban law. By criminalizing enemy propaganda, the spreading of “unauthorized news,” and insult to patriotic symbols, the government curbs freedom of speech under the guise of protecting state security. The courts are not independent; they undermine the right to fair trial by restricting the right to a defense, and frequently fail to observe the few due process rights available to defendants under domestic law.

2 hours ago, coma said:

The US would still have imposed decades long sanctions upon him and his constituents because he made them look like fools. He told them in no uncertain terms to stick their version of democracy where the sun don't shine.

And all the while the US prospered and it's people's standard of living increased.  In Cuba, the people were suffering the whole time.  Now who looks like a fool?

A truly iconic figure,  a divisive figure who achieved social justice for his people.  He had many flaws but was hugely influential.  His human rights record was appalling and his views on Cuban gays was a disgrace but the way he improved medical treatment  for the poor and instigated education for all was admirable.  No black and white with Fidel!  

Edited by dunroaming

1 hour ago, JHolmesJr said:

RIP…takes a big set of cojones to stand u for what you believe in.

Yeah like ISIS right? All you guys praising Castro and posting your unfounded RIP's obviously don't know any Cuban people. You might wanna sit this one out.

Edited by csabo

5 minutes ago, csabo said:

Yeah like ISIS right? All you guys praising Castro and posting your unfounded RIP's obviously don't know any Cuban people. You might wanna sit this one out.

Yeah, I think the best POV for non-Cubans is neutrality on this, and acknowledgement that it's ... COMPLICATED. 

But as far as Castro's global impact and historical importance, that can't be denied. So a very major political figure of our time has passed. That's worthy of attention. 

Edited by Jingthing

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/21/fidel-castro-lived-like-king-cuba

"Contrary to what he has always said, Fidel has never renounced capitalist comforts or chosen to live in austerity. Au contraire, his mode de vie is that of a capitalist without any kind of limit," he writes. "He has never considered that he is obliged by his speech to follow the austere lifestyle of a good revolutionary."

Viva la Revolution! LOL

castro originally approached US for help, but down the years the US has had a   PHOBIA of the word communism....this has prevented them from having a level-headed and productive foreign policy is many parts of the world and has lead to the deaths of millions at the hands of dictatorial regimes........

no-one will deny the faults of Castro or his achievements and these were uniquely achieved despite the unrelenting opposition and ignorance of one US regime after another...

Just now, cumgranosalum said:

castro originally approached US for help, but down the years the US has had a   PHOBIA of the word communism....this has prevented them from having a level-headed and productive foreign policy is many parts of the world and has lead to the deaths of millions at the hands of dictatorial regimes........

no-one will deny the faults of Castro or his achievements and these were uniquely achieved despite the unrelenting opposition and ignorance of one US regime after another...

It also had to do with money:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2014/04/18/cuba-you-owe-billion/jHAufRfQJ9Bx24TuzQyBNO/story.html

Cuba, you owe us $7 billion

Behind the trade embargo lies a huge and nearly forgotten obstacle: the still-active property claims by American companies. Inside the effort to settle a 50-year-old debt

bye... and never come back. this guy took power for 50 years and had a nice life while people suffer. can not believe people who said he represented freedom.

All you know is what other people wrote or reported about him.

Opinions, not facts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Dagnabbit said:

All you know is what other people wrote or reported about him.

Opinions, not facts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is true that we are all influenced by what we read/hear and choose to believe.  A bit like the news channels and newspapers that are rarely unbiased in one way or another.

Certainly no worse than most world leaders, and considering where Cuba was when he started, better than most.

I'm glad I never had to sit through one of his speeches though.

RIP.

The CIA couldn't get you but father time never fails.

4 minutes ago, coma said:

Is there any chance all the Cubans that fled Castro to the United States will move back to Cuba now.  

I'm sure some would be interested, most not as they now have jobs, families, and ties to the US.  Plus, Cuba hasn't changed that much.  Still a tough place to live.  But getting better.

(I hope Bangkok doesn't get any ideas... oops too late.)

“For almost five decades, Cuban citizens have been systematically deprived of their fundamental rights to free expression, privacy, association, assembly, movement, and due process of law,” Human Rights Watch said in 2008. “Tactics for enforcing political conformity have included police warnings, surveillance, short-term detentions, house arrests, travel restrictions, criminal prosecutions, and politically motivated dismissals from employment.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/fidel-castro-dead-cuba_us_55e89377e4b0aec9f356957c?adibx0qp60yrjm7vi

2 hours ago, pattayalover said:

bye... and never come back. this guy took power for 50 years and had a nice life while people suffer. can not believe people who said he represented freedom.

if you never visited Cuba...your opinion doesn't  count. If you visited Cuba, probably you were looking just for fun and drinking, and you got disappointed. 

Cuba WAS the Pattaya of Latin America..... BEFORE Castro.

Anyway.... you still in ignorance... but keep the hope.  Now Cuba will come back to its past very soon.

Edited by Muzarella

49 minutes ago, csabo said:

i just hate this kinda weir associative nonsense…comparing fidel to isis?

whats wrong with you?

2 hours ago, Usernames said:

Back in 1967, I wrote to Radio Havana, after listening on the short wave radio.  They sent me back a New Year's card: a drawing of Castro with his black beard shaped like a Christmas tree. You opened it and the black beard turned into an ornamented beard shaped Christmas tree. Wish I had kept it.

it would be worth a fortune now - poor you!

23 minutes ago, Thechook said:

The general is running out of like minded friends, dictators are a dying breed.  Little Kimmie is still alive and so is Robert.

What are you talking about ? Dying breed ? The world is full of dictators. You don't need to be an individual to be one.

32 minutes ago, ITSMRBILL said:

Lol..im cuban thats like Hitler dying you idiots....wow ignorant...yah think?

Yeah I know he murdered a lot of people, that's a fact, but do you really think anti-Castro Cubans really think he was as bad as Hitler? I don't know which is why I'm asking.