Cost of living in Thailand

EvenSteven

3 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Ask yourself what is the purpose of those walls, they are not load bearing as they would be in the West, they are not double walled to prevent moisture and cold, they are simply there to stop people seeing into your living room and a surface on which to hang pictures.

They are used to keep the heat out.  Which red brick does not.  No, they aren't load bearing, but cheap stuff.  Most houses here aren't built very well.  And definitely not to international standards.  Wiring is crazy at times! LOL

IMG_528260144089013_zps5gxihktn.jpeg

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, mania said:

As CM mentioned they are not load bearing

Notice they do a (concrete) post & beam style of building in Thailand

Similar to the old days in the southern west when single wall homes existed

Difference being in Thailand it is all concrete vs wood post & beam old west style

The red brick you see is just a fill to later skim coat with concrete etc

Seems fine but watching them build anything over a couple floors high I think I would pity Thailand in any decent earthquake

........but I hope I am wrong

I had an apartment for a few months while our house was being finished.  Across the street was a condo being built.  I'd see them do these cement pillars.  After they removed the forms, some would be off angle.  So, they'd just push them into shape, which made them crack.  They filled the cracks with cement.  This is a 6 story building.  I can't imagine that's a good thing to do! LOL

8 hours ago, EvenSteven said:

Like I was saying, we get what we pay for.  You may save on the cost of labour in Thailand but pay for it in other ways.

saving 12,000+ Dollars every year property tax pays for a lot "other" ways. but a fact is that our home in Thailand built in 2005/06 was 27% less than our last home in Florida built in 1993/94 (land excluded). but what we got now is hundreds of percent better.

it's definitely not only the cost of labour, it also applies to building material including the labour cost. building a near identical home in Thailand i can compare the cost of individual positions. e.g. my Thai steel roof structure including concrete concrete roof tiles was not a penny more expensive than the wooden matchstick structure covered with shingles (the latter we use in my home country to cover a hut where one keeps gardening tools). i could state a dozen more examples to counter the claim "but pay for it in other ways".

come to think of it... in Thailand every Bill, Buck, Hank and Somchai has a fully tiled pool. how many pools have you seen in the U.S. which are tiled? how many homes in the subtropical U.S. have marble or granite floors, something that's quite ordinary in Thailand?

29 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

For your house maybe, but many houses here are built with that cheap red brick stuff.  Steel yes, but that's because of the termites! LOL

if you think termites do not exist in the U.S. of A.

map.jpg

9 hours ago, Elkski said:

By the way why is beer so expensive in Thailand.  Its all crap...

Tax.

People often say that beer is cheap in Thailand, but what they mean is that drinking beer in bars in Thailand is cheaper than drinking beer in bars in the West. This is because the costs of operating a bar are lower here. The actual beer is cheaper to buy in a UK supermarket than in a Thai one, or much cheaper in supermarkets in places like Spain or France etc., and this is all to do with local taxation.

45 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Getting good workers is a big problem here.  I'd hate to think of how many gutter repair guys we've had!  We finally found a good one and now his number has changed!  Plus, if you don't speak Thai, good luck.  Very difficult to have a home here without Thai language skills.

for a big home, especially with high tech features galore, you need an employee like my "Tee" who can take care of 99% required maintenance and repairs. you remember him? he is now 10 years with us and we wouldn't know how to manage without him.

Tee.jpg

Edited by Naam

5 minutes ago, Naam said:

map.jpg

Never said they didn't!  I lived in California and it was a big problem.  Though is seems worse here???  As you know, stick built houses are cheaper in the US than steel. 

4 minutes ago, Naam said:

map.jpg

Termites are only part of the problem, water damage to the Pine they use is a huge issue. That's when the termites come.

We had a termite fumigation system installed in our house slab along with a poly liner. Once every 5 years they come and do a fumigation to keep the subterranean termites at bay. 

3 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Tax.

People often say that beer is cheap in Thailand, but what they mean is that drinking beer in bars in Thailand is cheaper than drinking beer in bars in the West. This is because the costs of operating a bar are lower here. The actual beer is cheaper to buy in a UK supermarket than in a Thai one, or much cheaper in supermarkets in places like Spain or France etc., and this is all to do with local taxation.

Not sure I'd agree with that.  It depends on what you drink and where.  My local bar here sells import beers at 220B ($6.20) per 12oz bottle.  Go to Central Pattaya and most places charge about 120-150B for local beers ($3.4 to $4.2).  A bar near my former home in Nevada sells beer for $3.  Domestic stuff.  In Hungary, I was getting 500ml of great local beer for $2!  or about 70B.  In a bar.  The taxes here are ridiculous!  But yes, you can find cheap beer bars here that charge 70B or so for a bottle. 

:wai2:

46 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Indeed, there's nothing quite like having a 1 inch layer of heat retaining concrete sited on steel rafter and joists over your head in the Tropics!

the radiation of heat retaining concrete tiles is no match for a properly ventilated attic and insulation attic tgo ceilings. and sometimes even in Thailand one has to follow rules and regulations such as the bylaws of a homeowners association which make these tiles mandatory. people who don't live in a highly regulated and safe area have other problems to deal with, e.g. termites crashing down their roofs and ceilings.

11 minutes ago, Naam said:

for a big home, especially with high tech features galore, you need an employee like my "Tee" who can take care of 99% required maintenance and repairs. you remember him? he is now 10 years with us and we wouldn't know how to manage without him.

Tee.jpg

You are super lucky to have him.  Nice guy and knows what he's doing!!!!  A rare find!!!

23 minutes ago, Naam said:

t's definitely not only the cost of labour, it also applies to building material including the labour cost. building a near identical home in Thailand i can compare the cost of individual positions. e.g. my Thai steel roof structure including concrete concrete roof tiles was not a penny more expensive than the wooden matchstick structure covered with shingles (the latter we use in my home country to cover a hut where one keeps gardening tools). i could state a dozen more examples to counter the claim "but pay for it in other ways".

Me too Naam. I could post  house build pics but this is the wrong thread. We used a galvanized steel roofing system from Aus. Was not too much more then the Thai steel type but was much better suited to use with the Premiere Ceramic roof tiles we used on our house. 

while the thread is off on a tangent as most do, the cost of our house build was a fraction of what it would have been in the US and honestly it was built better. We have larger cement pads made in the ground as well as cement pillars for strength. The flooring was prefab'd but the rest of the house was hand built. I couldn't be happier. Plus we did a few changes on the fly which could have never happened in the US without a flurry of building code inspectors coming up and charging us more. Plus modify a house  to your likings without permits and good luck trying to sell it. All shows up in the house inspection and disclosures. Again back to my point, Its not all about the cheaper COL, its about some freedoms we can enjoy 

1 minute ago, craigt3365 said:

Not sure I'd agree with that.  It depends on what you drink and where.  My local bar here sells import beers at 220B ($6.20) per 12oz bottle.  Go to Central Pattaya and most places charge about 120-150B for local beers ($3.4 to $4.2).  A bar near my former home in Nevada sells beer for $3.  Domestic stuff.  In Hungary, I was getting 500ml of great local beer for $2!  or about 70B.  In a bar.  The taxes here are ridiculous!  But yes, you can find cheap beer bars here that charge 70B or so for a bottle. 

:wai2:

Last week stopped at a bar near me, large Chang was 50bht.....Usually 70 bht, seems Chang were doing an ad thingy...:clap2:But my local ma & pa sell large Chang at 50bht..

3 minutes ago, Naam said:
57 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Indeed, there's nothing quite like having a 1 inch layer of heat retaining concrete sited on steel rafter and joists over your head in the Tropics!

the radiation of heat retaining concrete tiles is no match for a properly ventilated attic and insulation attic tgo ceilings. and sometimes even in Thailand one has to follow rules and regulations such as the bylaws of a homeowners association which make these tiles mandatory. people who don't live in a highly regulated and safe area have other problems to deal with, e.g. termites crashing down their roofs and ceilings.

Its all about how the house was built, the eaves, the attic and ventilation system. Even when it has hit 39C our house is quite comfortable and a simple ceiling fan suffices. But we do always seem to have a nice breeze in our area even during the hot months which helps dramatically

5 minutes ago, Naam said:

A house near me is identical, the whole of the ground floor ceilings had to be replaced, just the paper of the plaster board was left..Termites..

4 minutes ago, JAFO said:

while the thread is off on a tangent as most do, the cost of our house build was a fraction of what it would have been in the US and honestly it was built better.

i don't think we are off JAFO. accomodation is usually a big part of living cost anywhere and much more important than the cost of street food or beer in a 7/11.

1 minute ago, Naam said:

i don't think we are off JAFO. accomodation is usually a big part of living cost anywhere and much more important than the cost of street food or beer in a 7/11.

True, I like talking about this in a much bigger picture versus the cost of Noodle soup or pork balls. If one plans on "Living" here personal accommodations have to be a big part of the discussion.

5 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Its all about how the house was built, the eaves, the attic and ventilation system. Even when it has hit 39C our house is quite comfortable and a simple ceiling fan suffices. But we do always seem to have a nice breeze in our area even during the hot months which helps dramatically

some people like ceiling fans and breezes, others prefer airconditioning.  chacun à son goût  :jap:

1 minute ago, Naam said:

some people like ceiling fans and breezes, others prefer airconditioning.  chacun à son goût  :jap:

Excellent point.  One neighbor of our leaves his windows open almost all the time.  Never uses AC. Another never opens his windows and always uses the AC.  We are in between.  Up to you!

5 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Excellent point.  One neighbor of our leaves his windows open almost all the time.  Never uses AC. Another never opens his windows and always uses the AC.  We are in between.  Up to you!

fresh air is a must, stale airconditioned air is a horror.

12 minutes ago, Naam said:
18 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

fresh air is a must, stale airconditioned air is a horror.

Absolutely which again can have a HUGE impact on ones COL. I know guys that their electric bill is 10 to 15K baht a month ( More in the hot season) as they run AC's basically 24/7 throughout the entire house. I do not really like AC much and clearly do not need my place to be a stable 78 degrees all the time. I love fresh mountain air and right now enjoy crisp mornings. But again to each his own but should be a thought about what type of temperature expectations one has.

17 minutes ago, JAFO said:

I know guys that their electric bill is 10 to 15K baht a month ( More in the hot season)

do guys really exist who have bills of only 10k Baht/month? :wink: 

Edited by Naam

6 minutes ago, Naam said:

do guys really exist who have bills of only 10k Baht/month? :wink: 

LOL!!!. You mean electric or all? If electric mine ranges between 1800 to 2500 bht a month on average now that the house is done. If I use the AC it is for a short period of time to cool a room off if its uncomfortable. I usually run the ceiling fans.

The largest electric bill  I have had at the house was 4100 baht when they were building my car park area and were using the power for the welder and air-compressor. My wife freaked and screamed "PANG" LOL. 

17 minutes ago, JAFO said:

LOL!!!. You mean electric or all? If electric mine ranges between 1800 to 2500 bht a month on average now that the house is done. If I use the AC it is for a short period of time to cool a room off if its uncomfortable. I usually run the ceiling fans.

The largest electric bill  I have had at the house was 4100 baht when they were building my car park area and were using the power for the welder and air-compressor. My wife freaked and screamed "PANG" LOL. 

2016 average 'leccy bill, 986 baht per month, eat your heart out! :post-4641-1156694572:

19 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Yes!  Me! LOL  Spending more time now in my wonderful solar heated pool! :smile:

it looks like we are getting temperatures which really requires pool heating. my wholehouse fan is running since a week from 0500 till 0700, aircon not required till around noon.

12 hours ago, NeverSure said:

The US is huge with "miles and miles of miles and miles". The lines are underground in most areas built in the past few decades and many towns and cities have be upgraded. You'll see overhead lines running cross country and in older neighborhoods.

Even so, if you see overhead lines they are neat and orderly and safe. Oh, and they are also safely grounded LOL.  :smile:

Cheers.

PS  I didn't see where your linked article said what percentage is underground, not that it really matters.

No article because I asked a question.  I wrote, "What percent of USA power lines are underground?"  I'd say about 60 to 70% of USA power lines are above ground

from looking at the decaying infrastructure of the country but maybe you can find a link for the total USA and not cherrypicked locations.