Is anyone farming Rhea birds in Thailand?

Latis

Please do not attempt this endeavor...rheas are a bit difficult to raise...they eat quite a bit, and the market isn't there...once upon a time, back in the 80s, they were popular as exotic animals...then people woke up to their demands and termperament...and now they can be had for free from people just wanting to give them away...

in india, some folks tried to find a new market, and the result was that thousands of these animals were starved to death...thais have no empathy for animals, so i can only imagine the same scenairo here...

if you want to raise an animal, try thai ridgebacks...they sell for 1000s in the usa, and the few people here who raise them are pretty deplorable and know nothing about dogs...there's a pathetic american who breeds them in isaan, and he has allowed some of his dogs to die of starvation and heat stroke...when i talked to him about the animals, he sounded like a punter in cheap pattaya bar who actually had no idea about breeding or standards...i would raise these dogs myself if i had land...

6 hours ago, Autonuaq said:

Farming is not alowed for foreingers unless they are promoted to be ans expert in a certain subject and they they may support the farming done by the Thai.

As has been said  a lot of times on TV about  Farangs farming in Thailand ,I am  saying  what has been said before ,if you keep your self to yourself  ,speak some Thai ,maybe help out your neighbour's now and then  ,no one will bother you ,we have been farming  now for 10 years no problem ,same goes  for a lot of other members on TV , as for  being an expert ,if you can count some collage   certificates  from 35 years ago ,that are  now  not a lot of use ,I could be classed  an" expert", as  for support from a Thai ,without the help from the misses ,I could not do what we are doing .

PS. Expert,  definition of , X  the unknown quantity ,Spurt,  a drip under pressure.

@ hdKane

Our Andy Crosby ,seemed  to like the  big birds ,over the past 2-3 months  his name has come up  , to do with Emu and Ostrich  eggs/farming  . and now Rhea's, some one wrote about buying Ostrich  stakes in Macro ,@ 500 baht/ Kg ,not cheap ,guy near use to rear Ostrich, did it for 2-3 years then   gave up.

20 hours ago, hdkane said:

Please do not attempt this endeavor...rheas are a bit difficult to raise...they eat quite a bit, and the market isn't there...once upon a time, back in the 80s, they were popular as exotic animals...then people woke up to their demands and termperament...and now they can be had for free from people just wanting to give them away...

in india, some folks tried to find a new market, and the result was that thousands of these animals were starved to death...thais have no empathy for animals, so i can only imagine the same scenairo here...

if you want to raise an animal, try thai ridgebacks...they sell for 1000s in the usa, and the few people here who raise them are pretty deplorable and know nothing about dogs...there's a pathetic american who breeds them in isaan, and he has allowed some of his dogs to die of starvation and heat stroke...when i talked to him about the animals, he sounded like a punter in cheap pattaya bar who actually had no idea about breeding or standards...i would raise these dogs myself if i had land...

Can you buy them a eat them for Christmas dinner ?

Can you stuff them ?

Good eating ?

On 27/11/2016 at 2:02 PM, hdkane said:

Thanks for your advice.  That is terrible the way animals are mistreated.  I have 13 geese, 16 peacocks, 50 Guinea Fowl as a hobby, not for sale, and the feed alone costs me at least THB 7,000 a month of bird feed and paddy rice. They are also free range and not caged, with 17 rai of waterfront land to roam freely around.  Thanks for the tip and the horror story of folks abusing livestock.

On 27/11/2016 at 2:27 PM, Autonuaq said:

Farming is not alowed for foreingers unless they are promoted to be ans expert in a certain subject and they they may support the farming done by the Thai.

It's a Thai owned homestead of 17 rai and a Thai farming family have been employed for the past 14 years.  The "farm" is not commercial and just a hobby on a very very small scale.  I am talking about 6 to 10 birds, not commercial breeding. I have been in Thailand for 27 years and also hold Thai residence permit and fully aware of the restrictions here, which I think are good as they protect the Thai people.