Am getting charged 8 THB / kw/h for electricity

The first months, my LL rounded up the amount to the nearest 100 THB. After moving in on the 12th, an identical bill for the whole next month opened my eyes to the rip off.

Back home, no LL is allowed to charge about double the actual cost on utilities. 

With a battle for the SD (security deposit) coming up, I thought I'd ask you all 

Cheers!

We can only answer you if we know how many units you used and how much you paid.

What I would say is that if you are renting from a private landlord then it is normal for them to charge 8 baht per unit for electricity and 20 baht per unit for water.

This is more than they get charged by the electricity company and water company.

Normally, these are the first questions renters ask when they view a property.

You might not like it, but 8 baht per unit of electricity is not unusual in Thailand. As has been pointed out, you're not back home now.

8 Baht per unit is what we charge in Ubon, however all the renters get a fully itemised bill every month, absolutely no rounding of any figures.

The only fight over a deposit happened when a renter did not stay for the agreed minimum term of 6 months AND then did not give the required one month's notice, he failed on 2 points, but still expected his deposit back.

As he was moving out he tried to leave his small table fan and steal the large floor standing one we supply.

When my wife explained why she was keeping his deposit, he got a bit annoyed.

Subsequently he has called my wife and mother-in-law (who used to run the business) demanding his money back and threatening to report us to the local authority, not sure for what though, he broke the rules.

3 hours ago, Rob13 said:

Keep track of the KWs used every month yourself and pay accordingly. 

Well, I've been sending e-mails with the meter readings of the day throughout a month. and the rounding up has stopped (perhaps someone saw me in the hall, on a chair, reading my meter :shock1:)

@ The Fat Controller, I used to be a LL and sympathize. Over the years, I've encountered bizarre acts of theft and vandalism. A friend had a tenant who removed all air conditioners, then went to the police to accuse her to shut her up?

* are you using the good old "moving-in report"?

Me, I cannot speak Thai and haven't even got a copy of the one-page rental agreement.

But I'm dreading the coming show-down as a Thai colleague was charged 500 THB for being 5 minutes late due to heavy traffic. This shows what kind of person the LL is.

6 minutes ago, Kf6vci said:

But I'm dreading the coming show-down as a Thai colleague was charged 500 THB for being 5 minutes late due to heavy traffic. This shows what kind of person the LL is.

Do you mean 5 minutes late with the rent?  Time for some new digs, if that's the case.

Not where we are !

All the apartments charge 8 Baht.

Fair enough I don't doubt it . If you look on air bnb you will see monthly stays usually attract 7 baht but without exception the Russian guys who have condos in jomtien charge much much more. Dropping the rental a bit and charging 12 baht works out far better

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

52 minutes ago, Rob13 said:

Do you mean 5 minutes late with the rent?  Time for some new digs, if that's the case.

No, on the day of her move out.

The menopausal landlady also charged her 100 THB every time she had a visitor (mind, no overnight visitors)

When I figured out how she rounds up the utility bill, I prepaid the amount a week before getting that month's bill. I make deposits as we bank at the same branch.

=> she called my employer, blaming me to be a dead beat who failed to pay the rent! :shock1: 

Next, she hallucinated about me "pouring chemicals down the toilet" as she noticed a water stain on the outer wall of my bathroom, which is an extension of the balcony). No leaks, but she insisted on "repairing" something and smeared bright orange stuff onto the grout of the tiles.

Some people are full of hatred and they project their anger onto others. 

It's time to vote with my feet.

5 hours ago, The Fat Controller said:

Not where we are !

All the apartments charge 8 Baht.

3-4 years ago I stayed one week at Studio 99 in Chiang Mai.

It was a one bedroom and the electricity bill came to a whopping 
1,854 baht.

The unit rate was 9 baht and they claimed we had used 206 units.

We stayed another 5 weeks at The Opium where the electricity bill for the entire period was lower than that one week at Studio 99, so I find it hard to believe that they “only” inflated the rate, seems they also doubled the claimed consumption.

Today I have my own place, a 3 bedroom with speakers/amplifiers in all rooms, TVs, air conditioner, Western kitchen (and cook every day), washing machine, dish washer, computer with monitor, etc. and my weekly consumption of electricity is actually just shy of 200 units.

The company I work for charges 8 baht a unit (including VAT) for electricity.

Tenants get a fully itemised invoice each month, with last month's meter reading, this month's meter reading, usage and unit cost all listed.

The VAT for the utilities and other vat-able items are also listed.

Most placed charge 8 baht or more, unless you get the original bill yourself then the government utilities price of about 3.5 baht.

My previous place charge 8 baht and suddenly wanted to up it to 15 baht, so I withheld that months rent and utilities bill and said I would move out as soon as I found a new place. He of course demanded payment because I broke contract, so no deposit usage for the bills. I bluffed him and said my lawyer said I could, since he change the contract.

2 days later he agreed to keep the electric at 8 baht, but I should not tell his other renters (Whom all have moved out now)

I know my 3 year contract was ending in 6 months, so I started looking for a new place.

Found one next door. Now I pay government price of 3.5 baht.

Do you have your own PEA or MEA meter, or is it a sub meter installed by the landlord? (like many condos and apartment blocks have, leading from a central meter)   If the former you can lodge a complaint, if the latter you can't, except that he landlord can not charge more than what is on the meter.

18 hours ago, mcfish said:

7 baht is the standard rate unless the bill is in your name

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

So I must be very lucky. I am charged by the original amount of the company, down to every Satang. No extra for the LL. And I am living in this house for 21 years now, without a raise of the rent.

28 minutes ago, hkt83100 said:

So I must be very lucky. I am charged by the original amount of the company, down to every Satang. No extra for the LL. And I am living in this house for 21 years now, without a raise of the rent.

Me too but live in that house for only 12 years with no raise. Looks like a lot of folks here cannot negotiate a decent renting contract.

Its not that bad to charge over the electric tariff cost - it should be viewed as part of the overall rent 'deal'.

Consider 2 apartments a Landlord rents for same rent  one apartment who runs his AC flat out 24 x 7 - AC being one of the significant appliances that would be expected to be installed in an apartment and the neighbor chooses to  use  the AC  only  at the height of the hot season for  4 hours a night.  One AC will be knackered in 3 years other good for 10 years or more.   From his 'enhanced' Kw charge  he is recovering the costs of wear & tear of his electrical appliances from the  direct cost of usage - not bad for some not good for others. 

Sure if all the electrical appliances are the renters property then enhanced rate not fair.  Negotiate. 

1 hour ago, hkt83100 said:

I think I would give him/her a raise as good gesture.  You won't find another like that.

22 hours ago, The Fat Controller said:

8 Baht per unit is what we charge in Ubon, however all the renters get a fully itemised bill every month, absolutely no rounding of any figures.

The only fight over a deposit happened when a renter did not stay for the agreed minimum term of 6 months AND then did not give the required one month's notice, he failed on 2 points, but still expected his deposit back.

As he was moving out he tried to leave his small table fan and steal the large floor standing one we supply.

When my wife explained why she was keeping his deposit, he got a bit annoyed.

Subsequently he has called my wife and mother-in-law (who used to run the business) demanding his money back and threatening to report us to the local authority, not sure for what though, he broke the rules.

I converted my business office and apartment above to 3 phrase, wiring and fuse box. I save a ton of money over what

you guys pay.

Electricity is getting more expensive per kw/h the more you consume - unlike some European countries. Then the public area electricity (elevator, hall lights, parking, garden lights) need to be paid to and this usually happens with a surcharge. 
The basic charge is approx. Baht 4 per kw/h, so Baht 6 - 7 is reasonable; depending on the dwelling infrastructure and size.