Newly built Mosque 5am prayers driving crazy

Beachbummer

There is a newly built small mosque just been built right next to my house and they put speakers on full volume 5 times a day starting from 5am. Scaring the sht out of kids and guests.  

This is a residential area and some residents and business guest house operators came in to complain. However, the mosque guys said they would not care and will not stop loud prayers neither turn the volume down. 

Are any rules here in Thailand on keeping the noise down at least before 7am ?  And who should we contact to lodge an official complaint ? 

Any input would be much appreciated. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember a while back a similar situation was discussed on a media site of which eludes me now but the outcome was enough residents eventually complained and an agreement was made whereas the 5am was turned way down and the duration of the loud speaker was also reduced in Patong, Phuket. I think it was the local Tessabaan or Municipality that arranged the agreement.. So I would start there.. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

It's a villa in a NW side of Phuket in residential area. I am not the only one to complain in local Obodor but the guy in charge there is also a muslim and he is stalling all the complains. I am thinking of contacting Phuket's Ombudsman but can't seem to find the contacts on the web. 

Don't you just love the lack of consideration. 

As the country is run by them and predominantly Buddhist, I'd be looking into lodging complaints at the army level if possible... get as many locals on board as you can, but of course have a (very vocal) Thai be the mouthpiece. 

I know this doesnt really solve your problem, but I used to stay in Indonesia and my housing was right next to a mosque.  For the first week, I would jump out of bed when the call to prayer came early early morning.  Second week or so, I would wake up, notice that there was noise and fall back asleep.  By the end of the first month, my body slept through it.  I guess it was at the same time every morning and my body/mind knew it was coming and learned to ignore it.  Hopefully, you will have something like that happen to you.

12 hours ago, Johnniey said:

It's a sign from God.

Get up at 5am  and do some prayer and meditation,  enhancing your spiritual condition,  while  eradicating your anger and resentment.

Ah the stupidity of religion, alternatively get up at 3am turn on your  own loudspeakers and start wailing, when they complain invent (  like  all religions) some amazing story and claim it as your religion, it  will in no way be any less incredulous than theirs and "they cant disprove it"

Personally Id would get the pigs in if  all else  failed infact id  get a pot  bellied porker on a lead and walk it daily outside  their fantasy palace, claim its your religion and god is a pig.

Theyll preach all the tolerance you can swallow for their BS  when in affects  them of course

On 11/27/2016 at 4:26 PM, lopburi3 said:

Many places upcountry it is the local government loudspeakers presenting the farming news that wake people up to work there fields - so early morning wake up is not uncommon outside of cities.  

not at 5am, possibly 6am when its  just  light

it was another country they live in fear  i don't

i was there for some yrs was going to marry Muslim girl till i woke up 

when i told my son i was promised 60 virgin girls when i die 

his reply

must be a lot of irate wife's up there

8 hours ago, kannot said:

Ah the stupidity of religion, alternatively get up at 3am turn on your  own loudspeakers and start wailing, when they complain invent (  like  all religions) some amazing story and claim it as your religion, it  will in no way be any less incredulous than theirs and "they cant disprove it"

Personally Id would get the pigs in if  all else  failed infact id  get a pot  bellied porker on a lead and walk it daily outside  their fantasy palace, claim its your religion and god is a pig.

Theyll preach all the tolerance you can swallow for their BS  when in affects  them of course

Is your Thai wife a Buddhist?

Just interested if you would marry a 'stupid' woman.

You will just have to adapt to your new free alarm clock.
I was in Indonesia before, and I liked the mosque's call to prayer a lot. It sounded really beautiful and woke me up in time everyday.

If you're abroad, the key is to adapt and to go with the flow.

On ‎29‎.‎11‎.‎2016 at 1:54 AM, kannot said:

This is one of those threads that should be mandatory reading by any farang thinking of buying a house in LOS.

I would get some of those big speakers and play Christian music very loudly when they are at prayer. When they complain, negotiate for them to turn their noise down before you stop.

BTW, when I'm in the village the amplified monk chanting from the temple wakes me up about 5 am or earlier.

To the OP

Get used to it or move. The noise used to disturb me in Riyadh till I got used to it, then I didn't even notice it at all.

On 27/11/2016 at 4:06 PM, mcfish said:

Where do you live, you rent or do you own? It's unlikely a mosque would happen in a built up area of condos

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

BS,,,my old house on nermplubwan in pattaya had 2 mosques within half a kilo.  i needed to move,  seen more and more muzzies were moving in.

make a complaint to amphur at once if no satisfaction go higher

On 28/11/2016 at 8:04 PM, siam2007 said:

As Phuket has a very large Muslim population, I doubt you will have a chance. And it has always been their tactics to build mosques where they can bother and intimidate non-Muslims most. You see that at other locations in Thailand too, for example the huge mosques built along the M9 from Swampy to downtown, where almost nobody lives, let alone a lot of Muslims. It is just to show-off and spend the millions sent over from Saudia.

Actually the Thai government usually contributes funds for building new mosques as well as funds for ongoing maintenance. Detail of Thai government support for the Thai Muslim community at:

http://www.thaiembassy.org/riyadh/th/organize/29025-Muslim-in-Thailand.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_Thailand#Governance_and_education

Edited by simple1

3 hours ago, Johnniey said:

Oh my God, I think there is no point in communicating with you any more. You have some serious issues. Does your wife make you give alms every morning or something. You are angry, try meditation, or do you not believe in that either?

BTW, it sounds like you have been consuming something of the spirit nature :)

ok so  you have ( as  expected)  no evidence for your spirits, Gods etc..........next phoney.................well at least you didnt say I needed "faith" to see this claptrap.

I wonder who has the "serious  issues"  the man who believes  things with no evidence or the man who seeks  reason and evidence

Edited by kannot

4 hours ago, Johnniey said:

Oh my God, I think there is no point in communicating with you any more. You have some serious issues. Does your wife make you give alms every morning or something. You are angry, try meditation, or do you not believe in that either?

BTW, it sounds like you have been consuming something of the spirit nature :)

ugh, I thought your first replies in this thread were just tongue in cheek trolling, but it seems you got issues as well.

I do not respect religious beliefs, but I respect people's rights to believe in anything they like as long as they don't become a nuisance.

Loudspeakers at 5am are clearly a nuisance and should be banned.

Today there are radios, muslim followers could just use that, or recorded prayers on an alarm clock.

The problem with practicing muslims is that they want everyone around them to be muslims too, and when you criticize them or want that loudspeaker nonsense banned, suddenly you disrespect Islam and are labeled a racist/islamophobe.

In Switzerland I used to live not far from a church and they had the habit of ringing their bells in the morning until residents complained. lcuky, because I would have thrown a dynamite rod in there sooner or later.

The funniest thing is, the bells were operated automatically, because they had nobody to ring them at that time.

If that mosque prayer loudspeaker goes off at 5am and it's automated, it shows utter disrespect to the people it indisposes.

Edited by manarak

On 11/28/2016 at 1:48 PM, Johnniey said:

It's a sign from God.

Get up at 5am  and do some prayer and meditation,  enhancing your spiritual condition,  while  eradicating your anger and resentment.

It's a sign a sign, the any turned left instead of right, let's all go commit ritualistic suicide....when will the species grow up and dump all this mystic religious supernatural gumpf. This 5am noise pollution is typical whereby the starting point is to love people and the supernatural dictator (love me or be punished), do this by gathering, do this by sounding an alarm which also annoys the beep out of the majority of people and thereby creates the opposite of a loving feeling between people, thereby being self defeating. Zero consideration. The same undermining circle applies to all religions, so don't get narky. If you choose to follow a religion, which is your right, don't do anything that impacts negatively on others, thanks very much. Oppressing non believers in your outdated cult is the worst form of selfishness and hate. So love for real, and turn off that beeping racket.

18 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

As mentioned earlier, but the comment was deleted (as clearly you cant have a conversation on this forum, and can only talk about bar girls and gold diggers or you get removed). His wife being Buddhist has absolutely no relevance. As religion comes in many forms. A very real chunk of the world are not religious but choose to say they are to avoid societal or cultural backlash. That is very prevalent in Thai with the new generation preferring to simply 'sleep in' rather than go to a temple. And lets be honest, how many Thai really practice any Buddhist belief systems? Yes, they are so religious but spend their time drinking, smoking and kicking dogs. That is not even Thai, that is the Monks inside temple grounds.

Generally definitions of 'religion' are based around either a 'God' or 'Superhuman' and a 'set of beliefs' that people follow. Atheism doesn't involves either of those things so, no, it is not a religion. An atheist believes in no 'God' and can live their lives with the beliefs that they please. The 'Masters' has clearly worked wonders. Which institution was it by the way? I am curious...I will just wait for the comment to be deleted even though it has about as much relevance as any other comment here does. 

correction  ....."his Wife maybe being  Buddhist"

On 11/29/2016 at 2:54 AM, kannot said:

it  will in no way be any less incredulous

What a festival of redundant negativity in one simple clause