Bus Transporting 28 Tourists Overturns in Koh Samui Injuring 10

webfact

Bus Transporting 28 Tourists Overturns in Koh Samui Injuring 10

sam.jpg

A tourist bus carrying 28 Chinese tourists toppled over on Koh Samui in Surat Thani on Sunday.

KOH SAMUI – A tour bus transporting 28 Chinese tourists overturned on the Island of Koh Samui in Surat Thani Province on Sunday night, injuring 10 of the 28 passengers.

Bo Phut  Police reported that the driver of the bus lost control as the vehicle negotiated a curve, causing the bus to topple over on its side.

10 of the tourists were slightly injured, the driver, tour guide and the remaining 18 passengers were unharmed.

Six of the injured tourists were sent to Bangkok Hospital Samui and four others were taken to Thai International Hospital Samui.

Full story: http://www.chiangraitimes.com/bus-transporting-28-tourists-overturns-in-koh-samui-injuring-10.html

changraitimes_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Chiang Rai Times 2016-11-28

2 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

These articles never surprise me any more.

The sheer number of accidents involving buses is incredible, and most, if not all, must have something to do with the driver's lack of ability to handle them.

as mentioned in my post it could be fatigue, drugs or plain negligence.

3 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

The sheer number of accidents involving buses is incredible, and most, if not all, must have something to do with the driver's lack of ability to handle them.

Yes.. especially when you are sleeping. 

3 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

It was the "curve"'s fault, it clearly said so in the report. The driver cannot be held accountable for a faulty curve!

Just like it was the "rain"'s fault the other day......

30 minutes ago, meatboy said:

as its been put forward that expats need to deposit 3million in a frozen bank acc.to cover medical cover,why not tour buses with passengers DO the same,including the DRIVER.

Yep, even in my third world country, it is compulsory to have comprehensive insurance covering the passengers and third party coverage for any damage caused to other vehicles and occupants.:coffee1:

16 Chinese tourists injured in Samui bus crash

15181490_1681206088837598_18280609012089

KOH SAMUI: -- A bus carrying about 30 Chinese tourists skidded and flipped on its side in Koh Samui last night, injuring 16 of them.

The bus was ferrying the tourists, all from China, from Raja ferry pier in Koh Samui to their hotel in Bophud after they arrived yesterday at Surat Thani airport and took ferry service to Samui.

Bophud station police said the incident happened near a viewpoint location on Thawee Ratchabhakdi road before reaching Chaweng beach.

The bus belongs to Samui Sunshine Holiday Co Ltd.

The bus driver Santi Hunkwa, 24, said it was raining while he was driving the tourists to the hotel in Bophud.

He said his bus skidded and went out of control as the bus arrived at a sharp curve while running  downhill.

He said as the bus skidded off and was about to hit a concrete barrier, he decided to swerve the wheel to the left causing the bus to flip on the side and slid several metres and fell into the ditch.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/16-chinese-tourists-injured-in-samui-bus-crash/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-11-28

The Chinese will be getting fed up with all this soon and cease coming to this death-trap country. Then how will the TAT's glowing tourism figures look? 

BTW: I've noticed a marked decrease in Chinese tourists in Pattaya these past couple of months. So perhaps this has already begun

Failure to deal with these issues of scams, road accidents, mysterious deaths, taxis no meters, violence towards foreigners being far more prevalent these days than ever before....the lists on and on....and yes, it will catch up and badly effect the tourist figures.  All of this places own making and nearly all avoidable.  Hey ho. 

2 hours ago, TSF said:

The Chinese will be getting fed up with all this soon and cease coming to this death-trap country. Then how will the TAT's glowing tourism figures look? 

BTW: I've noticed a marked decrease in Chinese tourists in Pattaya these past couple of months. So perhaps this has already begun

This will be yet another nail in the zero dollar tourist numbers.

I know accidents can happen but really..... how difficult is it to drive to the conditions. 

30+ years in heavy transport and not once have I lost control of my vehicle. 

I won't take too many more of these to make the Chinese hesitant to come here.  Word spreads like wildfire over there, and they tend to follow each other.  They better do something, or soon they will be giving discounted air tickets, and free visas from Africa and North Korea.

More and more Thai buses now have retractable seat belts that actually fit most tourists.

However, as usual few if any passengers utilize the safety belts so I wonder if the bus described had new, retractable, seat belts?

I was an accident investigator for 30 years and visited hundreds just out of intensive care  that were quadriplegics, paraplegics,  brain damaged, faces destroyed, arms torn off from sitting on seat belts.

And - many were passengers in large buses that rolled over or were struck head on.

The safest place on a bus is in the middle seating area, in an isle seat with the seat belt on!

Buckel up!

Archived