Thai govt slams media over ‘bias’ exercise-campaign reports

webfact

Govt slams media over ‘bias’ exercise-campaign reports
By Anapat Deechuay

The Nation

d4d4ede793932e12ce5a8fcef24c4f0a.jpeg

PM Prayut led officials at Government House to do some exercise on Wednesday (file photo)

BANGKOK: -- Government Spokesman Lt-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd on Sunday rebuked media members for reporting “bias” reports about Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha’s controversial weekly exercise campaign.

The spokesman said that the government had good intentions behind the campaign and was confident public servants understood the campaign’s objective.

He called on the media to review its role and code of conduct and “adjust the attitude”. “I am convinced that all public servants understand the government’s objective … [the media] is trying to influence the public to perceive that the campaign would lead the officers to stop working.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/politics/30300976

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-11-28

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Perhaps the PM ought to spend his precious time on more important issues of reform, such as RTP and Education. Acting more and more like a typical politician with feel-good initiatives, while ignoring fundamental changes needed in his society.

33 minutes ago, jerojero said:

Perhaps the PM ought to spend his precious time on more important issues of reform, such as RTP and Education. Acting more and more like a typical politician with feel-good initiatives, while ignoring fundamental changes needed in his society.

It's not just a feel-good initiative. Thais are unhealthy and unfit. They need to exercise more.

"Government Spokesman Lt-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd on Sunday rebuked media members for reporting “bias” reports about Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha’s controversial weekly exercise campaign."

Let's return to this in a few years and see how healthy the population is. That should solve this argument.

My money is on a lot of people saying: "Damn, I knew I should have invested in that pharmaceutical company that produces insulin and Statins". 

Edited by jaltsc

I have to agree with the PM on this one. If there are any groups of people in Thailand that are in need of exercise it would have to be fat-cat bureaucrats, army officers and public servants. 

I visualize that for many public servants the most exercise they get is eyeball and wrist exercise while they play with their phones at "work".

so many years ago i went through basic training for the army reserves. big part of the process seemed to be getting people to do things without questioning orders. this all seems to be part of the same thing. wonder if people will be taught to march around a parade ground.

Looked at what goes on in many (government ) schools?

The same thing goes on in my local hospital at just after 8am.A vdo comes on and they all get up and sing a song and wave their arms about,then come around with the hand disinfectant.I learnt about personal hygiene as a child.They all get up,but you can see that their hearts aren't in it,only a few oldies and me can't be bothered by the sheep mentality.What i do like is the hospital gym that the sick are supposed to use up to 4pm.Never seen anyone in there,the patients are sick after all.After 4pm the public can use it,just nurses and me and a couple of lads.1000 baht a year,this is a steal.Most pay 20 baht per visit,nurses free.

I still can't understand what's the big fuzz of getting government servants to be fit. You don't need fitness to be behind the desk all day and week. Do you need to be fit and strong to lift up a file or use the computer. They work 9-5 and gets back home for a good day rest. What is needed is campaign to make work more efficient and certainly needed is more use of IT and less paper work.  

2 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

I still can't understand what's the big fuzz of getting government servants to be fit. You don't need fitness to be behind the desk all day and week. Do you need to be fit and strong to lift up a file or use the computer. They work 9-5 and gets back home for a good day rest. What is needed is campaign to make work more efficient and certainly needed is more use of IT and less paper work.  

They need to be fit for the rigorous awaydays to the beach and to pointless conferences where they get hammered at night.

2 hours ago, seahorse said:

It's not just a feel-good initiative. Thais are unhealthy and unfit. They need to exercise more.

Wow, broad brush there.  "need to exercise more" happens when you are working your ass off to earn a subsistence living, don't you think?  Go fix your own flab and don't worry about other people's fitness levels. 

personally i think its a PR act,

Why is the PM giving time to this sort of issue

heads of government departments should  be leading this excersize  classes

not the man with article 44 as a weapon, the  there are far more important issues he could be addressing like the growing amount of people eeking a living out of the bins i see now daily