Yung's In The House

Vespa

OK , here is one for the experts.

The doors and windows are kept closed and there are screens on them yet every eve. I have to break out the electric tennis racket and swat a bunch of yung's.

How are they getting in the house ?

Are they breeding inside ?

My last house in BKk, which was a 3 level affair, was notorioius for mosquitoes. Like you, the racket would come out every night and the only completely 'yung-free' place was my bedroom.

The basic problem is the large amount of mossies trying to get in. If you live near stagnant water (building sites are full of stagnant water), then they are breeding grounds, and there are thousands of the buggers born every second.

I used to explore every inch of my house with a fine too comb, and sure enough , if there was the slightest opening in a flyscreen or a hole in a door, or whatever, in they would come. Every time you open a door or window they will flock inside!

It was a constant battle and one I never won, although my son had great fun frying them every evening :D

Down here in Pong, I can sit out on my pool terrace all night and never see a single mossie. Remarkable.

I suggest you move :o

Edited by Mobi D'Ark

...Every time you open a door or window they will flock inside!

This is how they get in our house, I think. I particularly noticed that the bites increased depending on who from my wife's family was staying with us, and I eventually realized it was that those people acted as if the screens and doors were not important or rather were an obstacle to them rather than protection...

We've partially trained my mother-in-law now, but she's stubborn and a bit careless so she still has a tendancy to throw screen doors wide open, walk in and out about ten times, go check the pot boiling on the stove, and then finally come back and close the screen door.

We, on the other hand, treat entries like "air locks" and try to get in and out without ever actually opening the screen. :o

This is one of those cross-cultural things I have decided not to spend too much time trying to understand, just for my own sanity...

Had the same problem, with mosquitoes & cockroaches.

Solved 99% of the mosquito problems through installing a foam seal between the middle of any sliding doors (there can be quite a gap which is completely unnoticable), double checking each fly screen minutely and sealing all door frames with foam strip.

You may be surprised at the gap between a solid door and frame. Get someone to hold a torch on the inside to view for yourself.

You can definately fix the problem but need to run the foam seal and maintain the flyscreens and as posters above say cover the drains.

BTW, lots of cockroaches come in along the bottom door gap on the front/rear doors (fit with those bottom seals), the breeze blowing out attracts them.

Had the same problem, with mosquitoes & cockroaches.

Solved 99% of the mosquito problems through installing a foam seal between the middle of any sliding doors (there can be quite a gap which is completely unnoticable), double checking each fly screen minutely and sealing all door frames with foam strip.

You may be surprised at the gap between a solid door and frame. Get someone to hold a torch on the inside to view for yourself.

You can definately fix the problem but need to run the foam seal and maintain the flyscreens and as posters above say cover the drains.

BTW, lots of cockroaches come in along the bottom door gap on the front/rear doors (fit with those bottom seals), the breeze blowing out attracts them.

Donno about mozzies, but for mareng sap, I read before that they are very hardy that they can go many many days without food, but won't last long without water. A dry place is a hel_l for them. I could be wrong :o .