butter milk

mardy1960

12 hours ago, Oxx said:

It's ridiculously easy to make from milk and vinegar.  See, for example, http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/homemade-buttermilk-recipe.html

Note that the white vinegar here is usually slightly stronger than that in the west (6% v. 5%), so you might want to use a little less.

Thanks for this.

Having all my life just being able to go to the store to pick up Buttermilk.....who knew it was so simple!

31 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Thanks for this.

Having all my life just being able to go to the store to pick up Buttermilk.....who knew it was so simple!

I'm afraid it isn't as simple as this. Please read the buttermilk Wikipedia article first.

As you can see, there are several kinds of buttermilk, what you are looking for is most likely the commercial cultured version;

Commercially available cultured buttermilk is milk that has been pasteurized and homogenized (with 1% or 2% fat), and then inoculated with a culture of Lactococcus lactis (formerly known as Streptococcus lactis) plus Leuconostoc citrovorum to simulate the naturally occurring bacteria in the old-fashioned product. Some dairies add colored flecks of butter to cultured buttermilk to simulate residual flecks of butter that can be left over from the churning process of traditional buttermilk

The recipe Oxx mentions (and which you can find on many websites)  makes a great ricotta cheese, but I wouldn't call it buttermilk. At least not where I come from, but as you can also  read in the wiki, there are many variations in different kinds of the world. Maybe there are countries where they call ricotta buttermilk, I don't know :smile:

Heat (not boil) milk with a pinch of salt

Add some lime juice or vinegar (as long it is acid)

Wait a couple of minutes and you will see curds form. Avoid to stir as the curds are very fragile.

DSC_1210-1024x623.jpg

Filter it trough a cheesecloth or a paper kitchen towel.

I use this ricotta for pasta's and pizza's. As a rule of thumb: a 250 ml carton box of milk gives enough cheese for one dish. If you add some cream to the milk, the % of fat will increase, so also your cheese production. You can keep it for a couple of days in the fridge or you can freeze it.

31 minutes ago, U235 said:

The recipe Oxx mentions (and which you can find on many websites)  makes a great ricotta cheese, but I wouldn't call it buttermilk.

So, you think you know better than one of the most famous and respected chefs in America, Emeril Lagasse?  What's your personal expertise (apart from using Wikipedia)?

Incidentally, Lagasse does have a recipe for home made ricotta.  It's different:  http://emerils.com/127806/homemade-ricotta-cheese

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

So, you think you know better than one of the most famous and respected chefs in America, Emeril Lagasse?

If Mr Lagasse substitutes a dairy product which is formed by bacteria - a procedure which takes days to complete - with some 'in 5 minutes ready' mixture  of milk and vinegar, yes, in that case I know it better.

If the OP is a bit adventurous, he can try the following: obtain a pack of buttermilk from Villa or another place, mix a bit of it with normal milk and wait (a long time - days). The Villa milk should act like a starter: if the bacteria multiply they will (hopefully) convert the normal milk into buttermilk. I wouldn't put it from the beginning in the fridge to speed up the proces. Never tried it or will try (really don't like buttermilk), but it works with yoghurt, which is produced by a similar proces.

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

What's your personal expertise (apart from using Wikipedia)?

Nothing worthwhile to mention. Running restaurants and that kind of things....

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

Incidentally, Lagasse does have a recipe for home made ricotta.  It's different:  http://emerils.com/127806/homemade-ricotta-cheese

Indeed, it is different. He uses citric acid while I mostly use lime juice. I suppose you just buy your citric acid in your local 7/11 while I have serious trouble obtaining a lime?  He also ads the acid while the milk is still cold. No idea why he does it but I suppose it is ok. If you heat milk, you have to stir it to avoid burning. However, stirring will damage the curds. So I think it is better to wait a bit with the acid till the milk has the right temperature. Anyway, tried it many times and it works fine for me ;-)