School director removed for wearing red

webfact

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Beats56 said:

My son's school uniform is a orange shirt and black shorts but he does have the black ribbon pinned on the sleeve.

Sign him up for Wolves quick as he has his own strip they need all the help they can get ... with their current form best to keep the ribbon as well!

35 minutes ago, poohy said:

"red is extremely inappropriate"

Red is  just a colour!

People can wear black if they WANT to show mourning   

Dictating a colour earns no respect 

To the rest of us we are free to choose, i went for beer in a red shirt last night without it being festooned with ribbons and survived

i have made a point of not changing my dress throughout the whole saga ( and a very nice dress it is as well):thumbsup:

Also dare i say it around here things are getting back to normal well obviously apart from those being dictated too 

You can wear red, or even purple, for beer. But do you wear such colors to a friend's wake?

1 hour ago, harrry said:

No.....the public is asked.  Public servants are  told to just as they are told to wear a uniform. 

I posted earlier about a teacher i know who is not impressed with the potential of having to wear black for a year.

A friend's wife is also a govt employee and is more blunt in her assessment as she points out that when something comes from on high, especially with the current administration the words used don't actually convey the actual meaning.

So, when the junta says they wish, would like, encourage, hope, request etc forget the soft words used as the real meaning is quite clear,

Do It !

I have been wearing black, white or dark colours with the ribbon and as other posters have said it's respectful. But tbh not even all Thais are not up to speed on the dress code. I was packing my gym bag for fitness first and realised I hadn't any dark tops left that were clean for gym. I asked the mrs ( Thai) and she said just wear the red Nike as its no problem, you are in the gym ect.......Wow! , I walked in and it was glaringly obvious everyone was in black or white. I could feel the heat on me ( I wasn't being paranoid.....maybe a bit) but that was my quickest workout ever.

Edited by goldenbrwn1

20 minutes ago, trogers said:

You can wear red, or even purple, for beer. But do you wear such colors to a friend's wake?

A wake is a celebration of a life so why not? 

i would expect close family to wear black , however for friends i would not think it would matter or raise any eyebrows, and certainly not cause problems

6 minutes ago, poohy said:

A wake is a celebration of a life so why not? 

i would expect close family to wear black , however for friends i would not think it would matter or raise any eyebrows, and certainly not cause problems

I only time I saw an American movie with someone wearing red in a wake was in "The Sixth Sense". I wonder what message that scene was conveying...

When Queen Elizabeth dies (hopefully not for a long time yet) I look forward to seeing how many people voluntarily wear black.

Such voluntary actions will show the world how she was respected.

A nation in black does not demonstrate any respect for the deceased unless they do it of their own free will without instruction or fear.

6 minutes ago, MichaelJohn said:

When Queen Elizabeth dies (hopefully not for a long time yet) I look forward to seeing how many people voluntarily wear black.

Such voluntary actions will show the world how she was respected.

A nation in black does not demonstrate any respect for the deceased unless they do it of their own free will without instruction or fear.

Exactly. Had this exact albeit 'very quiet' conversation yesterday on my monthly barstool visit to Bangkok.

2 hours ago, rijb said:

How about yellow?

Yes, how about yellow?

This was the late King's colour so is it now disrespectful to wear it or not?  

Of course, yellow and red were - and maybe still are - associated with the political unrest that preceded the takeover by the current government but politics here is supposedly entirely separate from the monarchy so why should wearing a shirt of either colour be a concern.  Is it, in fact, more that wearing any bright colour is considered disrespectful at this time?

1 hour ago, poohy said:

"red is extremely inappropriate"

Red is  just a colour!

People can wear black if they WANT to show mourning   

Dictating a colour earns no respect 

To the rest of us we are free to choose, i went for beer in a red shirt last night without it being festooned with ribbons and survived

i have made a point of not changing my dress throughout the whole saga ( and a very nice dress it is as well):thumbsup:

Also dare i say it around here things are getting back to normal well obviously apart from those being dictated too 

Must need washing by now.

1 hour ago, doctormann said:

Yes, how about yellow?

This was the late King's colour so is it now disrespectful to wear it or not?  

Of course, yellow and red were - and maybe still are - associated with the political unrest that preceded the takeover by the current government but politics here is supposedly entirely separate from the monarchy so why should wearing a shirt of either colour be a concern.  Is it, in fact, more that wearing any bright colour is considered disrespectful at this time?

Is it, in fact, more that wearing any bright colour is considered disrespectful at this time?

The way I understand it, yes. No bright colors in general, yellow included. This can be "mitigated" by the black ribbon thing.

If I am interacting with local officialdom or just the locals I wear black as a mark of respect pure and simple, if I am going to one of the two bars I frequent I will wear white or dark colours with a ribbon, I have the highest respect and regard for the late king, so this doesn't cause me any problem at all.

Also, if you turn up at immigration correctly attired you are likely to have a smooth time of it rather than wearing inappropriate clothing like a Chang singlet or football shirt.

I don't understand how people can get so upset about showing some respect for who was probably the best monarch (apart from HM the Queen Elizabeth 2) ever seen.

Edited by Golden Triangle

15 minutes ago, trogers said:

What is not said from the hearts of men... is not nothing!

I don't know where you are from but wake's where I lived are attended by people who just got off work etc.  Most wakes are not very somber anymore, it is just a nice social event and showing up in concrete spattered work clothes will draw very little attention and the family will be very happy to see you.   I only wear black when it is a very crushing unexpected loss of a young person.

I did try to wear black here and or a ribbon for a few weeks after the death,  I wore black to a couple funerals here but saw many Thais and farangs that didn't. I sure didn't think any less of them.  If somebody thinks less of me because of what color I wear, than I sure don't care to know what other reasons they have for looking down on people.

4 hours ago, rijb said:

How about yellow?

Acceptable ,

Once upon a time Red  was the colour of a now extinct political party in Northern  Thailand

I  seem to remember they were once called Red Shirts .

Edited by elliss