Brain-storming session to solve garbage problem on Koh Samui

webfact

Built by a company from Norway or Finland as I remember. Samui (Surat I guess) was to pay an annual fee to service the unit and this included free labour in the event of a breakdown. This came into effect 3 or 5 years later when the plant would effectively  be out of warranty but nothing was paid. When it did finally break down there was nobody who knew how to fix it though they did manage to get it running to some extent (50% maybe) but it gave up the ghost some time soon after and that was it.

Used to be a sign on the road to attract tourists so I actually went to visit the plant in '99  I found this picture on the 'net of what is looked like around that time.

GP013UQ.jpg

Be all and end all is that money was not allocated for its upkeep or that the money allocated was diverted elsewhere.

A song about the situation....

I think most of you guys doesn't have a clue how things are working here

Sustainable projects are only appreciated for nice pictures in front of cameras.

The money is made with big projects or long therm contracts. Upon signature a significant amount is going in another way then in the project.

Whether the project works or not is not much of an importance as the money is paid already.

You can see this in many  projects in develop- and emerging countries.

The Samui Incinerator was build from a Japanese contractor. Obviously the only contractor which delivered the plant in that small size.

Look at my post before.

@ Tropicalevo

You are right, many people do not agree to pay the garbage tax though it is a ridiculous amount and it covers only ....... not much.

People have to understand:

The cheapest way to dispose garbage is dump it into a hole and leave the problems to future generations.

Or, you spend money bring people into secured jobs and you start to avoid, separate, and recycle.

You know which way is chosen in this country.

9 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

None. It takes money.

Money that most contributors on this forum do not pay.

Speaking personally I pay for our garbage collection and pay tax in Thailand. In one of our old Moo Baan's all the foreigners paid the garbage collection fee, only about half the Thais paid up.

Even if they do not work, every single person who spends money on vat rated goods in Thailand pays tax, foreigners included, and it's shameful that money isn't used to avoid environmental damage such as this.

6 hours ago, notmyself said:

Everyone pays an extra buck when getting a taxi.. Perhaps that Tax-i should be used?

On a serious note, that one would be pretty much unenforceable and impossible to audit given the lack of meters.  Besides, taxis aren't exactly a good deal on the island even without the surcharge.

I go back to my hotel (and maybe flights) surcharge.  

Airlines are super easy to audit.  Nobody gets on a flight without a paper trail and a long list of taxes they paid included in their ticket.

Every time a hotel reports a foreigner-night as they're required anyway, they'd have to submit the $2-$3 they collect as an environmental surcharge.  Then, come down like a hammer on any hotel that fails to report foreigners.  2 birds, one stone. And it's a sneaky way to leave the locals off the hook for paying for anything- they don't get reported for staying.  I don't know many foreign tourists who would flinch at a small $2-3 fee since they get nickeled and dimed from the minute they depart home to the minute they return anyway.

I suspect one mental block is thinking that kind of fee would put tourists off.  I can understand thinking that way when the local salaries are $10 a day.  But legally fleecing tourists is a time honored way to pay for all kinds of projects around the world.

So,how do "we" fix the problem, it is 2017 not 1996.

Advances have neen made, how about we do some research and find a solution.

I will research new technologies avaliable and "we" can brainstorm!

Won't be cheap or easy, our location is also a factor.

Just a thought, how does Hawai handle this problem?

7 hours ago, ksamuiguy said:

Just a thought, how does Hawai handle this problem?

Problems are always easier to solve when your GDP per capita is 10x as high.  Getting it that way is a lot tougher than the trash issue.

Hawaii's solution(s) may and may not be within financial reach of Samui.

8 hours ago, impulse said:

On a serious note, that one would be pretty much unenforceable and impossible to audit given the lack of meters.  Besides, taxis aren't exactly a good deal on the island even without the surcharge.

Every time a hotel reports a foreigner-night as they're required anyway, they'd have to submit the $2-$3 they collect as an environmental surcharge.  Then, come down like a hammer on any hotel that fails to report foreigners.  2 birds, one stone. And it's a sneaky way to leave the locals off the hook for paying for anything- they don't get reported for staying.  I don't know many foreign tourists who would flinch at a small $2-3 fee since they get nickeled and dimed from the minute they depart home to the minute they return anyway.

Before the 50 Baht surcharge was introduced all taxis were required to have a meter and this was one of the few things that has been enforced. All a bit of a joke really because they still refuse to use them and the price went up from 500 Baht (example) to 550 or usually rounded up to 600.

A bed tax was introduced in Penang in 2004 and the proceeds were used to promote tourism so something alone these lines could be used.

http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/nation/2014/06/09/bed-tax-on-penang-hotels/

If you ask me the whole concept is retarded since tourism by its very nature generates vast income. It's like going into a restaurant and having to pay a surcharge for somewhere to sit or going into a bar and having to pay extra to use the toilet or even to just get served. Imagine having a restaurant yourself which is quiet so you only need one waiter. Your product is good and after a couple of months you start getting so busy that you need to take on another member of staff. Should the guests be required to pay extra for the new staff or does the fact that the restaurant is generating more profit pay? Business 101

The Maldives seem to have the problem solved.

How about we just dig a huge hole in the middle of the island and throw all the trash in it. The soil, rock and sand extracted can be used as landfill (seafill?) to extend the runway out into the ocean. We could be getting A380s in a matter of years!

3 hours ago, notmyself said:

The Maldives seem to have the problem solved.

How about we just dig a huge hole in the middle of the island and throw all the trash in it. The soil, rock and sand extracted can be used as landfill (seafill?) to extend the runway out into the ocean. We could be getting A380s in a matter of years!

I would think it's much better for the environment if we don't get loads of A380s with budget tourists to Samui – can anybody image how much more grabage they will produce..?:shock1:

Greenpeace article from 2000 provides some background.  Google it.   Seems both Phuket and Samui incinerators were too big for existing waste levels, 20 yrs ago, so only operated intermittently.  Current levels just about right.  What forward planning!

Archived