Phuket Governor declares war on motorbike-riders without helmets

webfact

Phuket Governor declares war on motorbike-riders without helmets

The Phuket News

1480485896_1-org.jpg

Any officials in Phuket caught not wearing a helmet while on a motorbike will see their superiors held responsible, warned Governor Chockchai Dejamornthan. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- The warning came yesterday, when Phuket Provincial Police Commander Maj Gen Teeraphol Thipjaroen revealed that Phuket was the worst province in the Southern Thailand – and second-worst in the country – for motorbike riders not wearing helmets.

Governor Chockchai levelled the stern warning at officials at his monthly meeting with high-ranking officers at Provincial Hall yesterday (Nov 29).

“All motorbike riders in Phuket should wear helmets 100 per cent of the time for their own protection,” he said.

“Government officials caught not wearing one will be punished regardless what good work the person has done for his or her office.

“If any officials are found not wearing a helmet, that official’s superior will be held responsible,” he warned.

Gov Chockchai also ordered a zero-tolerance of any motorbike riders not wearing helmets when visiting government offices.

“The same applies for all government office premises. All people who come to government offices must wear helmets,” he said.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-governor-declares-war-on-motorbike-riders-without-helmets-60066.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-11-30

So the fine print of the story admits that this directive is only directed at "officials" and people who visit gov't offices. Better build more "inactive post buildings" as that's as far as any punishment will go. And re-offenders maybe a slap on the wrist, 500thb fine (halved for a guilty plea), or maybe the worst of having to wear a pretty pink helmet.

I expected a total crackdown. for what it's worth.

31 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

So the fine print of the story admits that this directive is only directed at "officials" and people who visit gov't offices. Better build more "inactive post buildings" as that's as far as any punishment will go. And re-offenders maybe a slap on the wrist, 500thb fine (halved for a guilty plea), or maybe the worst of having to wear a pretty pink helmet.

I expected a total crackdown. for what it's worth.

I've said it before, but the Viet system works nicely.   No helmet and your bike is impounded for 48 hours.

Back to the police station with fine in hand plus helmet, and you get your bike back.

No idea why anybody cheers on this complete and utter nonsense of being forced to to something because "it's good for you" BS !!!

Quote: “All motorbike riders in Phuket should wear helmets 100 per cent of the time for their own protection,” he said.

... why not let anybody decide what's good for anybody ?

It does NOT harm anybody else so why would there be any reason to force somebody to it ?

It does NOT make traffic safer as in fact it does NOT affect traffic at all [my motorbike drives the same way with or without a helmet !

It's NONSENSE and the decision is in anybody's own responsibility for one self !!!

If I don't want to wear a helmet who the hell has authority to

force me to wear one ?

... only slaves accept self appointed authority !

1 hour ago, arithai12 said:

So if I read correctly: the "war" is against government officers riding without a helmet, and members of the public riding without a helmet on the premises of a government office.

I predict a lot of helmet on-helmet off.

And let's not forget how many riders put the helmet on their head but leave the straps just dangling, including many of the RTP.

Many times I've challenged my outer Thai family members on this. The response is standard, 'I'll lock the straps when I'm going to have an accident'.

The other one, 'if the straps are not locked in place and you have an accident then the helmet will fly off / fall off your head'. Standard response 'how can that be possible'.

My Thai son strongly scolded his aunt who never thinks about safety for telling his 10 daughter (who doesn't drive a m/c, father won't allow until she's 18 yrs old) to not worry about all of this and start riding now, because it's not possible for children to have m/c accidents, Buddha won't allow it to happen, so don't worry. 

2 hours ago, arithai12 said:

So if I read correctly: the "war" is against government officers riding without a helmet, and members of the public riding without a helmet on the premises of a government office.

I predict a lot of helmet on-helmet off.

No,you do not read correctly! :-

“All motorbike riders in Phuket should wear helmets 100 per cent of the time for their own protection,” he said.

However, as is often the case, further down the article:-

"Gov Chockchai also ordered a zero-tolerance of any motorbike riders not wearing helmets when visiting government offices.

The same applies for all government office premises. All people who come to government offices must wear helmets,” he said.

Confusing, isn't it - but there again - TIT!

Edited by sambum
Additional text

Anyone who is caught not wearing a helmet should be given a large fine ( not a pety 200b or similar ) and should have the bike taken away and put in holding for 1 month.

That should also include the BiB who don't wear proper helmets. Yeah I know thats never going to happen though.

24 minutes ago, lee b said:

Anyone who is caught not wearing a helmet should be given a large fine ( not a pety 200b or similar ) and should have the bike taken away and put in holding for 1 month.

That should also include the BiB who don't wear proper helmets. Yeah I know thats never going to happen though.

It's 1000 baht on Koh Samui, and a similar fine for the passenger if not wearing one!

Why do they not have the same rules all over the country and enforce them?

(Sorry - I do realise that it's in the hands of the cop who stopped you, but my question stands - same as why do Immigration Rules vary from Office(r) to Office(r)?)

4 hours ago, brain150 said:

No idea why anybody cheers on this complete and utter nonsense of being forced to to something because "it's good for you" BS !!!

Quote: “All motorbike riders in Phuket should wear helmets 100 per cent of the time for their own protection,” he said.

It does NOT harm anybody else so why would there be any reason to force somebody to it ?

It does NOT make traffic safer as in fact it does NOT affect traffic at all [my motorbike drives the same way with or without a helmet !

It's NONSENSE and the decision is in anybody's own responsibility for one self !!!

force me to wear one ?

You miss the point completely.

You are possibly also a selfish  smoker who doesn't care about your own health  for    those around you...  just guessing. 

5 hours ago, brain150 said:

force me to wear one ?

Insurance claim issues when not wearing a helmet?

There is debris flying around. Wouldnt want to get hit in the head/eye and scurry in the path of others.

No family that value your life more than yourself? Some responsabikity to others could be a reason.

Been riding competion since a child and can safely say its worth it. 

If your however suicidal than perhaps skydiving without a shoot would be the go. 

Not having a go at you. Good to see people stick up for rights ;)

Here we go again, another feeble attempt to enforce helmet laws. War, huahhh, what is it good for, absolutely nothing- Edwin Starr.

I see from the national 'campaign' that well over  20k schoolkids are killed, injured or otherwise involved in motorbike incidents countrywide every year. Why not concentrate on the most vulnerable, charge their parents with endangerment and confiscate the bikes. Get the cops and teachers to work together as well. Kamala is awash with kids speeding around in school uniforms 2 and 3 up in uniform.

What ever happened to all the yellow helmets that were distributed a couple of years back- have they been turned into plant pots?

5 hours ago, sambum said:

No,you do not read correctly! :-

However, as is often the case, further down the article:-

"Gov Chockchai also ordered a zero-tolerance of any motorbike riders not wearing helmets when visiting government offices.

The same applies for all government office premises. All people who come to government offices must wear helmets,” he said.

Confusing, isn't it - but there again - TIT!

I'm going to look pretty silly going to Immigration and the LTO in my truck then! :partytime2:

OK lets talk about helmets but lets first talk about quality of helmets.  Isn't it about time Thai authorities enforce a minimum standard of helmets for riders... wearing an ice cream bucket on your head is about as handy / useful as an ashtray on a motor bike... get real Thailand, this is the year 2016 not 1816...

16 hours ago, scorecard said:

And let's not forget how many riders put the helmet on their head but leave the straps just dangling, including many of the RTP.

Most times I am out I see the odd RTP officer riding sans helmet. Immune to the law of the land, it seems, but the law of physics still apply.

On 30/11/2016 at 6:42 PM, brain150 said:

force me to wear one ?

Why then are motor cyclists in some states of the USA fined for not wearing helmets?

2 hours ago, masuk said:

Why then are motor cyclists in some states of the USA fined for not wearing helmets?

Because BS is independent from nationality ?

Or do you think just because something is done in the Empire US it's automatically good ?

Wow 

A war is typically described as a sustained battle, that goes on until a specific objective is achieved, with great sacrifices made, in order to achieve the end result. 

Is this a real war? Are the authorities willing to do what it takes to achieve their objective, or are they simply trying to save face, due to the continued rising deaths on the road, and the embarrassment that comes with being in control of an area with so many casualties, and a nation with the number two road death rate in the world. It is exactly the same on Samui. The death rate from motorcyclists goes on, and on, from month to month. The authorities continue to jawbone about doing something to prevent it. 

A firm hand is all it would take. Large fines, confiscation of motorbikes, enforcing the use of licenses, and you have reduced deaths, and more safety. This is not a complicated problem. Now, the reason the authorities are not more concerned, is far more complicated.