Banning Baby Bikers: Kids told not to drive motorcycles

webfact

59 minutes ago, dhream said:

In one area of a northern city, the police regularly have a roadblock.

They nab decrepit pick up trucks, and helmetless riders, usually wave everyone else through. 

At least those guys seem to be doing their job.

Bet they let the kids through.Never seen one pulled over yet and they never have helmets.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, Ratcher said:

Things wont change because it wont get enforced. 

My theory is that if they pull over the kids,they can't pay.Ok,cops confiscate bike until somebody pays,probably parents.The cops will be accused of graft by every parent in the country.Maybe this is a step too far in the PR exercise.Corruption in the BIB is accepted by Thais but this may step over the line.Just a theory.

50 minutes ago, Generalchaos said:

Won't make any difference, most of the kids won't have any tea money so it isn't worth their while stopping them.

In the end, it's the responsibility of the parents, so there you go. Hello, tea money.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

I remember when I made the big upgrade from a single speed, coaster brake bicycle to a 10 speed at that age.

Scooter?  In my dreams...

I remember I got Young Driver Licence at the age of 14. It allowed driving a normal car while accompanied by a Driver Licence holding adult in the other front seat. Never heard of 10-speed bicycles back then.

1 minute ago, MichaelJohn said:

I never understood why the police don't set up their table outside a school; they'd make a fortune at 4pm charging all the children B100 for having no helmet.

Like most things; it's not taken seriously and I doubt it ever will be.

Remember, when an accident, money payouts go many ways, whether kid drivers or not....:whistling:

He said that young teens lack enough knowledge of traffic laws to drive 

Not just young teens!

young teen motorcyclists are prone to drunk driving and failing to wear helmets.

'Young teens' are the root cause of irresponsible driving in Thailand!!!!!

3 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Hope they invited the BIB along and reminded them about the law...

The BIB know the law, they are just too lazy to enforce it, unless of course it is tea money time, Oh wait! underage riders won't have any tea money

Let's not get too "western" over this.  Happens in most third world countries and besides how would the little darlings get to school every day?  I think in some states in the US it is legal to drive at 14?  It is often a matter of needs must.  If you look at most of the alcohol fuels motorbike accidents everyday on Thai roads then this really is small beer (excuse the pun)

3 hours ago, DM07 said:

Kids are "told" not to ride motor cycles!

How about taking some laws and enforce them, hold the parents account....oh never mind!

Accountability and responsibility are two words hardly understood here in the Kingdom.

1 hour ago, MichaelJohn said:

I never understood why the police don't set up their table outside a school; they'd make a fortune at 4pm charging all the children B100 for having no helmet.

Like most things; it's not taken seriously and I doubt it ever will be.

Has something to do with getting blood out of turnips.