Help needed in finding a teaching job

Avrock

Hello TV 

I'm looking for an English teaching position. I've got 3 years of teaching experience in thailand but majority of employers are seeking native English speakers even though I've got a bachelor's degree, a toeic score of 890 & experience of teaching from year 1 to m6 but still I don't see many positions for non native speakers. so if anyone knows of an opening at any school or can point me in the right direction It will be a great help..

Best regards 

Av 

It's perfectly legal to employ non-native speakers Thai3, but they need to have TOEIC.  I'm surprised at the OP's problem considering the speed with which NES are flocking out of the country.

OP I don't know if I am allowed to post facebook pages here but you could search for "Bangkok Thailand Teaching jobs salary 20k to 39k a month"- there is a group which has other salary ranges in associated groups.

There aren't too many jobs available right now. Some schools write their final tests already in February and this year's soon over. 

If I were you, I'd print some sets of your resume and go to some schools in your preferred area in person.

Best of luck. 

When I put an ad out for teachers, I usually put 'native speakers', but not 'native speakers only'.   I get a lot of replies from non-native speakers and I can fill all positions with one ad.   So unless the ad is very specific about ONLY native speakers, you may have some luck.  

At this point in time, those that need teachers may be willing to take a non-native speaker and may be able to shuffle staff should the advertised position be for a native speaker only.   A lot of this depends on the program and what subjects foreign staff teach.   It also depends on how big the school is and how many teachers they have available.

Best of luck.  

Thanks for the input everyone..I understand that positions are usually not much at this time of the year but like suggested earlier i guess it's better to go in person cause sending resumes online isn't doing me any good so far..another thing is that many schools hire through agencies & I prefer not going down that road..

Sent from my SM-G925F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

No, it isn't, but generally to get the Teacher's License (or Waiver) you need a Bachelor's Degree; technically you need a degree in education.   If you have less than a Bachelor's Degree, there are positions that can be filled, such as assistant, coordinator and other auxiliary positions.   Most of these positions are a way around the need for a degree, but at some schools these positions are used to provide an English environment with classes being actually taught by a teacher with a degree.  

Outside of the MOE sphere of influence, teachers can be hired without a degree.  

6 hours ago, Avrock said:

Thanks for the reassurance & boosting the morale..I guess not having blond hair might be holding me backemoji14.pngJK

Not a big deal. Lol  Should they ask you how much you'd like as a salary, try to come up with a different question, or a statement how wonderful the school is...

Let them come up with a number, it wouldn't be nice if they're willing to pay more than you're asking for. And please never sign a 10, or 11 months contract. Many schools are trying to "copy agencies".

12 months, SS and all holidays paid. No hidden agendas. Good luck. 

The perfect teacher.jpg

On 12/1/2016 at 8:14 PM, lostinisaan said:

Not a big deal. Lol  Should they ask you how much you'd like as a salary, try to come up with a different question, or a statement how wonderful the school is...

Let them come up with a number, it wouldn't be nice if they're willing to pay more than you're asking for. And please never sign a 10, or 11 months contract. Many schools are trying to "copy agencies".

12 months, SS and all holidays paid. No hidden agendas. Good luck. 

I was wondering about the 11 month contract thing myself..the previous jobs I had were all 12 months paid & it includes both government & international schools..but recently there's a trend emerging specially in Bangkok..schools upcountry are quite different because they can't afford the luxury of losing teachers to this issue..epic picture..im sure this guy would land a job in no time cause of the wig which resembles to a certain celebrity ;) lol

Your post indicates you're fluent, at native speaker level.

I would disagree.  The OP's posts indicate that he/she is very competent at writing English, albeit with some mistakes, (which maybe many NES would also make).

Additionally, a NES who can write fluent English does not mean that they will make a good conversational teacher.  There is a NES at my current school who speaks with a regional accent from the north of England.

I can understand this teacher, but most of the students and the school principal cannot.

On 12/5/2016 at 7:06 PM, simon43 said:

I would disagree.  The OP's posts indicate that he/she is very competent at writing English, albeit with some mistakes, (which maybe many NES would also make).

Additionally, a NES who can write fluent English does not mean that they will make a good conversational teacher.  There is a NES at my current school who speaks with a regional accent from the north of England.

I can understand this teacher, but most of the students and the school principal cannot.

Why rain on a parade? As I was reading his posts I thought "Wow, better than many NES I've read." There are also many NES that I can't understand when they speak and I'm a native W. Coast American. We haven't heard the guy speak so we don't know.

The guy had the guts to come on here and post and if he hadn't said he wasn't NES I wouldn't have known.

Cheers.

I am starting to see a trend here.  North American NES seem to report that they struggle with understanding NES from other parts of the world as far as I can gather from posts on TV. Perhaps it is a listening problem.

Hello guys..thanks a lot for the valuable comments.. I've managed to score a decent teaching job & so far it's going good.. for a month or two I struggled & then some job offers started coming my way..I really do appreciate all the positive feedback I got here, it helped..& for all those who might go through a similar situation in future which I hope they don't[emoji14]be patient guys..try to remain focused,things would eventually turn your way..
Best regards

@Neversure, I wasn't raining on his parade.  

In fact, I commented positively that his written English was as good as some NES teachers that I've met, but it wasn't 100% perfect, (spot the error in his last post).

But for a non-NES, it is very good.

As to his spoken English, I was also 'on his side' with my comments that some NES teachers have an incomprehensible accent - pity their students.  As you say, we don't know how clear his spoken English is and I never passed comment about this.

I'm pleased that the OP has found a good job.  Well done :)

Archived