What has happened to the high season?

cyberfarang

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, Junkyarddog said:

To address the comment about the Rivermarket in Chiang Mai.

The Six year leased has expired. Owner of the land wanted 3-4 times the amount of rent to renew.

Owner felt it made better sense to open a new Dukes in Lampang and let the Rivermarket go.

Greed rears its ugly head. In time methinks the owner will wish that it was a 10 year lease and not a 6. 

18 minutes ago, Grubster said:

Well I guess I do have a metal detector I would like to use but its a lot more fun with a partner, I used it a couple times finding a lot of current coins, all rusty of course. What do you do for fun?

Metal detectors are fun. I had 2 years ago a land and a water machine. Back then the land still yielded some nice finds. The water was nice after I retired as it annually renewed itself. People get frisky in the water. I really enjoyed this part of my life and miss it. 

Occupancy rates are down 40% this year at 4 and 5 Star C.M. hotels, I am told by a very reliable source.

Took a friend from out of town out the other night. Bars, restaurants, the Night Bazaar vendors, food center, pretty much everything closing up at 20:30. At the expensive sea food tourist trap in Kalare Market there was not one single customer and they were preparing to close too. Many trinket sellers in Anusarn Market appeared to have not even bothered coming in. Half of them were all bundled up, covered with tarps.

I agree, the days of "high season" are a thing of the past. None of this bothers me one bit at all as I prefer less tourists, but I feel for the people who make a living from tourism.

1 hour ago, elgordo38 said:

Boring works for me. Did the bar money run out after 2 weeks. Yeah life sucks. Buck up buttercup. 

C M nightlife :cheesy:.

It's dead by 10 pm and I gather they have to close at midnight.

I went to the small barbeer complex, but there are hardly any bargirls ( or even ladyboys ) in sight. Not surprising though, as hardly any customers.

Even less surprising given the prices they are asking. One would have to be seriously desperate to pay that much.

13 hours ago, Chicog said:

There's bugger all to do in the late hours because the nightlife has to close early.

I'm sure I'm not alone in seeking out alternatives until (if ever) it returns to normal.

Im told that Udon Thani is also deserted due to midnight closing of bars and music venues..... And this was enforced long before DELETED so permanent.

Edited by seedy
Lese Majeste

I talked to a wholesale supplier the other day and he said,i basicly still sell the same amount as ten years

ago the only difference is the number of addresses have gone up from around a hundred to around five hundred.

I suspect it is nearly the same in the hotel branch more space ,the same amount of people.

I remember around ten years ago i had to look hard to find a room available in Hua-hin now you can walk in pretty much any place and get a room.

11 minutes ago, elektrified said:

Occupancy rates are down 40% this year at 4 and 5 Star C.M. hotels, I am told by a very reliable source.

Took a friend from out of town out the other night. Bars, restaurants, the Night Bazaar vendors, food center, pretty much everything closing up at 20:30. At the expensive sea food tourist trap in Kalare Market there was not one single customer and they were preparing to close too. Many trinket sellers in Anusarn Market appeared to have not even bothered coming in. Half of them were all bundled up, covered with tarps.

I agree, the days of "high season" are a thing of the past. None of this bothers me one bit at all as I prefer less tourists, but I feel for the people who make a living from tourism.

Many trinket sellers in Anusarn Market appeared to have not even bothered coming in. Half of them were all bundled up, covered with tarps.

If that was the weekend, they go to the different places. I was fooled by that too. During the week they are all there and plenty of customers. I went to Thapae Gate on Sunday, and there were too many people there for my liking.

11 hours ago, Chicog said:

There's bugger all to do in the late hours because the nightlife has to close early.

I'm sure I'm not alone in seeking out alternatives until (if ever) it returns to normal.

Cybersex? :shock1: They might be too stoned to get their <deleted> up from their hotel rooms? 

Edited by lostinisaan

1 hour ago, Junkyarddog said:

To address the comment about the Rivermarket in Chiang Mai.

The Six year leased has expired. Owner of the land wanted 3-4 times the amount of rent to renew.

Owner felt it made better sense to open a new Dukes in Lampang and let the Rivermarket go.

Thai economy at work. When times are hard put the prices up.

Also, never improve anything. Just keep using the same stuff till it falls apart, then leave the debris in plain sight.

I went on a short "river cruise and temple tour". It was so bad it was almost laughable. The boat was dirty and poorly maintained. To get out to the decrepit and dangerous pier at the temples I had to crawl on hands and knees to get out of the boat. The temples themselves were run down, the information signs hard or impossible to read, the "guide" didn't speak passable English, and there was rubbish everywhere. To add insult to injury, the river tour itself took half as long as advertised, and the van to and from the hotel was a wreck with no AC.

All this in a town that advertises itself as a tourism hub.

I for one am NOT surprised that western tourists are staying away in droves. it's just not good value, and the traffic is insane.

1 hour ago, elgordo38 said:

Ah the smell if diversity is in the air. 

Seems I copied the wrong post, but I will continue (apologies elgordo).

Grubster, you are on to something with your golf comment!

If they did a marketing campaign based on golf, they'd reach a brand new audience of raving fans, and go a long way to fixing their woes.

Instead they get another 'committee' to 'investigate' tourist jewellers? (Drawing unwelcome attention to one of their worldwide well known scams!)

Well, Whisky Tango Foxtrot!

Edited by dhream

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Thai economy at work. When times are hard put the prices up.

Also, never improve anything. Just keep using the same stuff till it falls apart, then leave the debris in plain sight.

I went on a short "river cruise and temple tour". It was so bad it was almost laughable. The boat was dirty and poorly maintained. To get out to the decrepit and dangerous pier at the temples I had to crawl on hands and knees to get out of the boat. The temples themselves were run down, the information signs hard or impossible to read, the "guide" didn't speak passable English, and there was rubbish everywhere. To add insult to injury, the river tour itself took half as long as advertised, and the van to and from the hotel was a wreck with no AC.

All this in a town that advertises itself as a tourism hub.

I for one am NOT surprised that western tourists are staying away in droves. it's just not good value, and the traffic is insane.

Sounds like a nightmare, God help them if things really take a downturn, like another GFC.

One day they soon they will understand the meaning of price ceiling, but not before it is too late.

Does that mean that they only shoot one Ping-Pong ball per night these days? Ding Dong...

I don't see as many foreigners with their future bride downtown. It seems that not so many houses, as usual, will be build, not many cars will be bought and not too many  people will be ripped off?

What does the "Luv Ya Too Match brigade" say?

Edited by lostinisaan

And in Chiang Mai, there are scores of swish new apartment complexes, that are empty, and have been for years according to my informants, and still they're building more.

It is possible the Chinese are actually buying these, but I have not heard that. (The Chinese tend to buy new apartments, then sit on them, as they have this weird notion in China that a 'used' apartment is like a used car. So rather than rent, they sit on it and wait for a bigger fool.)

My cynical mind looks at this faux boom and thinks, 'drug money laundry'.

Whatever, theyre in a bad way, and it's going to get worse -globally.

From what I can decipher, I see 2 types of investors in the city. One has way too much money and decides to pay premium prices for land and then build the obligatory hotel.

The other gets excited at watching everyone else and thinks its a good idea to take out a big loan and then ....... build the obligatory hotel.

However you look at it , this doesn't bode well for the future. Minimal wages and competition for jobs, its looking pretty tough. The honey pot is becoming smaller and the bees more prolific.

45 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

C M nightlife :cheesy:.

It's dead by 10 pm and I gather they have to close at midnight.

I went to the small barbeer complex, but there are hardly any bargirls ( or even ladyboys ) in sight. Not surprising though, as hardly any customers.

Even less surprising given the prices they are asking. One would have to be seriously desperate to pay that much.

Local mentality on doing business is: 300% of nothing is worth more than 50% of something... wait, what?

And in even in the thai Mom & Pop 'sly grog' shops a large Singha is now THB 60. It's my preferred Thai brew, but I am just not wearing that hike in this economic climate, I'll learn to love some other poison.

Edited by dhream

One of my friends moved from Bangkok to S'ville (Cambodia) in 2013. 

In 2013 he bought a piece of land with direct access to the beach. He put 10 cottages on it in 2013, expanding to 20 cottages in 2014 and having guestrooms for backpackers 10 rooms with 6 berths each. In 2015 he expanded with another 20 cottages and this year another 20 cottages. He is fully booked since September 2016 up to March 2017.

He told me  a few weeks ago, when I was planning to visit him that he was full till March 2016. Most of the surrounding "resorts" are also fully booked. So business in S'ville is booming. He told me that most guest previously visited Thailand but having a hangover from Thailand right now... It has something to do with a gun and feet....

Edited by FredNL

4 hours ago, kwak250 said:

"High season" is a bit like 75 baht to the pound ..Both will never happen again..

The pound will be back, I have my money on it! If you are a foreigner who self funds in any other currency, buy it while its cheap.

The THB will plunge within two years, no need for a crystal ball, the writing is on the wall for anyone who cares to NOT watch Bloomberg etc...

11 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

High season finished years ago, not just for Chiang Mai, but all of Thaiiand.

Some months may be marginally better than others, but the high season of the old days has sadly gone, never to return.

'never to return'... how can you be so sure. Come on!!

20 minutes ago, FredNL said:

In 2013 he bought a piece of land with direct access to the beach. He put 10 cottages on it in 2013, expanding to 20 cottages in 2014 and having guestrooms for backpackers 10 rooms with 6 berths each. In 2015 he expanded with another 20 cottages and this year another 20 cottages. He is fully booked since September 2016 up to March 2017.

He told me  a few weeks ago, when I was planning to visit him that he was full till March 2016. Most of the surrounding "resorts" are also fully booked. So business in S'ville is booming. He told me that most guest previously visited Thailand but having a hangover from Thailand right now... It has something to do with a gun and feet....

does he own the land really? Wait until a developer steps in and pushes him out. Or wait until he gets whacked as a farang living there. Its a dangerous spot.

25 minutes ago, FredNL said:

Not quite ready for Cambodie.

I did a bit of a scout there a few months ago, I have never had to block so many scams in my life!

In one high end burger joint, 'Lone Pine' the Maitre'D tried to steal $20 change, when I pointed out the error, he went away, and came back with $10. I then had some strong words, and got my change back in full, but he didn't even pretend to be wrong, or say sorry, it was all done wordlessly on his part.

That was the most outrageous of the daily capers these dimwits tried.

Also the bar hostesses, are not very hygienic, many cases of bad breath, body odour, oh and girl moustaches, stay classy, Phnom penh! 

Edited by dhream

Combination of things: mostly exchange rates (baht still way too high), of course the military in control and the recent high profile event, but bottom line is I think Thailand has just gotten too expensive. Couple that with the authorities doing their damnedest to shutdown nightlife, upsetting the Chinese, and also unappealing images/stories on social media on farangs being treated badly.

5 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

I'm unable to tell if they are short or long term but I am seeing farangs more & more in places away from CM downtown.....

Speaking of Loi Kroh - what went in where Mikes Pizza used to be? Had to be uninspiring as I've gone past & not noticed.....

I think you mean Mike's Burgers! It was a bit of a landmark for the entrance to the boxing ring wasn't it?  Now it is just another typcal boxing ring bar, agree very uninspiring.

25 minutes ago, FredNL said:

To my knowledge, a foreigner cannot buy land in Cambodia, unless he did it via the fake local-owner scam (lawyer uses some guy in the boonies who has no idea his name is on the land).  You can own the upper floors of a building you pay to construct, but that's about it.  Also, be careful about anything close to a beach - may get repossessed by the govt.  But if I'm wrong on this, please correct me - always eager to learn new things.

I find Cambodia less interesting than Thailand overall (especially the food), but the locals are friendly.  I was seriously bored in SHV after a couple months. 

The selling point seems to be knowing that, even if under 50, you can always "return home" to your place in Cambodia, whereas that is not the case in Thailand; similar to The Philippines, in that respect - the govts are happy to see you spend your foreign-sourced income there.  The feeling going through immigration into Cambodia is the exact inverse of entering Thailand.  Even with the VOA "extra fee," it's not anything that causes worry.

4 hours ago, TSF said:

So reading this thread seems like the Chinese have dropped off all over Thailand. I live in Pattaya and have noticed a marked decrease these past few months. I had a feeling this would happen. For a long while there Thailand was the flavor of the month. So the Thais went crazy throwing up hotels all over the place so they could jump on the Chinese gravy train....but no thought to the prospect that something could happen and the Chinese could cease arriving.

And the worst is yet to come for China's bubble economy...

7 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

To my knowledge, a foreigner cannot buy land in Cambodia, unless he did it via the fake local-owner scam (lawyer uses some guy in the boonies who has no idea his name is on the land).  You can own the upper floors of a building you pay to construct, but that's about it.  Also, be careful about anything close to a beach - may get repossessed by the govt.  But if I'm wrong on this, please correct me - always eager to learn new things.

I find Cambodia less interesting than Thailand overall (especially the food), but the locals are friendly.  I was seriously bored in SHV after a couple months. 

The selling point seems to be knowing that, even if under 50, you can always "return home" to your place in Cambodia, whereas that is not the case in Thailand; similar to The Philippines, in that respect - the govts are happy to see you spend your foreign-sourced income there.  The feeling going through immigration into Cambodia is the exact inverse of entering Thailand.  Even with the VOA "extra fee," it's not anything that causes worry.

It is possible to have it registered on an offshore investment company for 100% and then lease it for 99 years to your local company. 

Not all companies need 51 - 49% shares dividing !!!