TAT targets Chinese market after PM calls for 6% tourism boost

webfact

TAT targets Chinese market after PM calls for 6% tourism boost

BANGKOK, 1 December 2016 (NNT) – The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is aiming to attract more tourists from China in the wake of the Prime Minister’s direction to boost tourism by 6 percent this year, following the damage low-cost tour operators have caused among the Chinese public. 

TAT’s East Asia Region Executive Director Srisuda Wanapinyosak, said today that TAT is now targeting tourists from China after the number of Chinese tourists to Thailand was affected by the government’s effort to eradicate illegal tour operators from China, and to push for an expansion of the tourism market in this year’s final quarter. 

She said the TAT had already allocated 50 million baht to launch campaigns with five TAT offices in China, to help 53 Thai businesses, and to promote Thai tourism products, specifically seaside tourism as many parts of China are now beginning to have cold weather. 

The TAT is also aiming to execute marketing plans with Thai-registered airlines to help promote Thai tourism in cities which normally see low visitor numbers. 

The TAT executive director said the TAT was planning to launch the Amazing Campaign which includes promotions such as online advertisement and viral clips, as well as PR material via other channels over the next two weeks, to inform the Chinese public of the harm often caused by low-cost tour operators that may exploit tourists, causing them to spend much more money than they intended to.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-12-01

not a good "industry" anyways.

just 1 Hansen superstorm.... headed for Poughkeepsie.... along the Hudson....  or a Larsen B at Larsen C.... and this entire business will have a big bulls eye on it. 

the 2015 COP21 exemption ended up 2016 as "cost incentive plans" and biofuels.... that's PC for only one thing.... easily put in as aviation is subsidized in a 1,000 different which ways..... and not a problem for the very wealthy... we know how that goes.

and no you can't tack solar panels onto the side of a A350.... electric jets are just a movie line still.

Edited by maewang99

I guess some money from zero dollar tousits is better than none. Remember, all powerful government, you have no control or monopoly over foreign tourists. If foreign tourists don't like what you're offering, they will stay away. Always know your audience. 

Just wondering here, what would have Thailand do without the millions

of tourists and the mega buck they bring with them?

I can't think of any other export that Thailand can rely on to balance the budget

and bring in the billions....  agricultures products has lost their luster long time

ago, no technology export to speak of... so tourism is the only game in town... 

48 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

Gotta bring back the zero dollar tours then. 

In another story the Central Bank estimates they have lost about 10% of Chinese tourists because of the crackdown on Zero Dollar tourism. So I guess that means they have to increase numbers by about 16% to get to the PM's target. 

And that 16% has to be the "quality" rich tourists; not those cheapskate undesirable ZD people.

37 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

I guess some money from zero dollar tousits is better than none. Remember, all powerful government, you have no control or monopoly over foreign tourists. If foreign tourists don't like what you're offering, they will stay away. Always know your audience. 

The TAT Team are over there in China now busy preaching Thailand's new anti - Zero Dollar laws and trying to convert the audience from being "non-quality" commoner class tourists into "quality" upper class tourists. 

That should go down well.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

TAT had already allocated 50 million baht to launch campaigns

At best tourism adds 11% to GDP with domestic spending (private and government) adding 20%. The government would better spend public funds to improve exports that add 70% to GDP by more industry subsidies, attracting foreign investment, cutting household debt, creating new industries imbedded with high value UP, etc. than to rely on the tourist industry to salvage the nation's economic doldrums.

and to push for an expansion of the tourism market in this year’s final quarter. 

Seems to me there's a tacit admission that the yearly targets might not be met. 30 days remain in the year. In my experience independent Chinese travellers book well in advance. Do they actually understand that most people can't just drop everything and jump on a plane for a few days away? Of course there may be plenty of seats available after the cancellations of block bookings by the zero baht tour operators so maybe cheapo specials will be the order of the day, which takes us back to square one!

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Just wondering here, what would have Thailand do without the millions

of tourists and the mega buck they bring with them?

I can't think of any other export that Thailand can rely on to balance the budget

and bring in the billions....  agricultures products has lost their luster long time

ago, no technology export to speak of... so tourism is the only game in town... 

I think your HUGELY mistaken regarding your last sentence, the Thai motor industry alone brings in 12% GDP.

As of 2015, the Thailand automotive industry was the largest in Southeast Asia and the 12th largest in the world.

http://aseanup.com/thailand-automotive-industry-overview/

https://www.oxfordbusinessgroup.com/analysis/smooth-drive-automobile-industry-sees-production-growth-while-domestic-sales-have-been-volatile

10 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

In the other headline of the day:

Central bank admits crackdown on zero-dollar package tours has greater impacts than earlier projected

Yes but another report on here yesterday said the deputy PM was currently in China to drum up tourism so in a couple of weeks the sky around Bangkok will be stacked with planes full of well off Chinese eager to spend their fortunes here.

I,m forecasting that TAT will announce record breaking visitor numbers sometime in February :huh:

There you go............sorted :thumbsup:

So let me summarise for those who are skim reading this post:-

Tourism is booming at record levels.

Chinese are not zero dollar tourist, uneducated journalist mis-read government communique which read lots of zeros in amount the Chinese tourists bring.

Economy is booming.

Thailand does not want 6% more tourists; it just wants Thai people to make tourist 6% happier, so they can be like all the Thai people.

Have I missed anything?

So Mr PM wrecks the Chinese market in October and thus allocates 50 Mils to TAT to bring back the Chinese market... Beauty :)

Should have put a family member as head of TAT so the money stays home, zero dollar tour style :cheesy::cheesy: