We are not seeking enemies – Putin

webfact

5 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Putin is ex-KGB.  And a field agent at that.

They cease to exist; and have for a long time-it's not the Soviet Union anymore. All we see is your same cut and paste Washington Press lines again and again. Russia has changes massively. I think you need to travel there. It will help your narrow slanted view.

3 hours ago, gemini81 said:

They cease to exist; and have for a long time-it's not the Soviet Union anymore. All we see is your same cut and paste Washington Press lines again and again. Russia has changes massively. I think you need to travel there. It will help your narrow slanted view.

You might want to check the posting history before commenting.   The poster has spent considerable time in Russia.  

10 hours ago, gemini81 said:

The KGB still exists.  Just under a different name.  You can research this and find out.  Russia has changed less than you might think.  And yes, I've been there.  Fantastic country.  Wonderful experiences.  Very friendly people.  Lousy government.  Like so many other countries. 

I could relate many personal experiences with the locals.  I was treated with respect and helped out more than a few times!  Like when I was stuck in the middle of nowhere in Siberia hitchhiking because public transport shut early due to a holiday.  Or the time I jammed with a guy till 3am in his basement drinking vodka and having a blast.  He spoke little English, I spoke very little Russia, but music was our common bond.  I'll never forget that.

Ok, I did have a few problems.  The old ladies working the counters at the train stations are not the friendliest! LOL  Especially when you don't speak Russian! The other was in the train with the guy in the pic.  NEVER try to out drink a Russian!  What a great time we had.  The 2 guys shared their food with me, their vodka, bought me beer.  Unfortunately, I couldn't get up the next day and missed my stop!

DSC02958 (Small).JPG

15 hours ago, impulse said:

Anyone who thinks the Cold War actually ended hasn't learned from their (recent) history.

In 1918, Germany surrendered and spent the next 20 years re-arming and getting their finances in order.  How long ago since the USSR collapsed?  So, it's bigger than Germany and it's taking longer...

Russia is investing heavily into their military.  At the expense of domestic programs.  The people know it.  Thus, the propaganda that the West (I.E. US) is the boogeyman and the spending in necessary.  Putin desperately wants Russia to get back to the same size as when it was the USSR.  Luckily, the former satellite states remember what life was like back then and want no part of it.

Oh yes, Putin ,  the great  Russian leader!  Bah Humbug!

Ukraine, do any of you remember that country which is

trying to get Russian military to get out of, and do not forget

that Crimea is still part of Ukraine, and not Russia,   except that

Russia has occupied it for  so long.  God!  I do  not  believe some

people and their poor memories. Shame on all of you.

Do you also think that Assad of Syria is a great and wonderful

leader of his country?   Duh   Just  cannot believe some people in

this world.

Geezer

Interesting article about Ukraine:

http://europe.newsweek.com/majority-russians-support-ukraine-independence-527459?utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=yahoo_news&utm_campaign=rss&utm_content=/rss/yahoous/news&yptr=yahoo

The majority of Russians support the idea of Ukraine’s continued existence as an independent state, believing Russia is better off not having Kiev in its political and economic manacles.

Although Ukraine has been an independent state since the collapse of the Soviet Union, pro-European political forces in the country have faced stiff opposition from the Russian state, which relies on Ukraine in order to export gas westward, and also maintains significant trade and a military base there.

Right. So far this echoes what Trump said at a rally just a day ago as well. That America will not work to overthrow or depose any governments, will not wage wars, will learn from its mistakes and work forward with its allies towards mutual stability and security in the fight against extremism. And also that US will ally with any country willing to fight ISIS - that makes Russia at the moment on top of that list. Trump and Putin haven't yet met but these guys are already talking to each other. 

Everything is going exactly as I predicted.

11 minutes ago, Jblood said:

Right. So far this echoes what Trump said at a rally just a day ago as well. That America will not work to overthrow or depose any governments, will not wage wars, will learn from its mistakes and work forward with its allies towards mutual stability and security in the fight against extremism. And also that US will ally with any country willing to fight ISIS - that makes Russia at the moment on top of that list. Trump and Putin haven't yet met but these guys are already talking to each other. 

Everything is going exactly as I predicted.

Unfortunately, Trump is turning his back on many campaign promises.  Many.  As for top of the list, there are other countries out there doing much more in the fight against IS than Russia.

6 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Unfortunately, Trump is turning his back on many campaign promises.  Many.  As for top of the list, there are other countries out there doing much more in the fight against IS than Russia.

Sure. That's why both leaders made these statements, to make it clear that if Trump backtracks on something his foreign policy in regards to Russia, Syria, Middle East etc is going to be unchanged. That's why he put emphasis at the rally about this, my guess to make sure Putin and others hear him.

Trump is possibly backtracking on some domestic issues like challenging the establishment and so on - it's offtopic, this has little in direct to do with the foreign policy. My guess is it's a juggling exercise for Trump at the moment. He's trying to bring change while having lack of support and problems at home.

1 minute ago, Jblood said:

Sure. That's why both leaders made these statements, to make it clear that if Trump backtracks on something his foreign policy in regards to Russia, Syria, Middle East etc is going to be unchanged. That's why he put emphasis at the rally about this, my guess to make sure Putin and others hear him.

Trump is possibly backtracking on some domestic issues like challenging the establishment and so on - it's offtopic, this has little in direct to do with the foreign policy. My guess is it's a juggling exercise for Trump at the moment. He's trying to bring change while having lack of support and problems at home.

I think the biggest problem with these two is their unpredictability.  Piss Trump off and he'll switch tactics in a heartbeat.  Same with Putin.  Both are megalomaniacs.  But it sure would be nice to see things calm down.

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Russians may be fine people but we're talking about Putin here.

For an excellent insight into this dictator for life, watch this:

For insight into the core of trump, watch some exceptionally irrational and bratty TODDLERS. 

Wow.  Very interesting.  Putin lovers should watch this.  The one line I liked was "Putin is not Russia, and Russia is not Putin".  By Alexander Litvinenko's widow.  Same can be said about many countries around the world now.  Their leaders don't match the ideals and personalities of the population.

21 hours ago, NickJ said:

Love how the liberals puff out there chests and rant. Yet continue to vote for candidates that degrade the millitary.

You can't have it both ways ladies.

As opposed to:

"There's nobody bigger or better at the military than I am."

"Our military is a disaster."

"I think I have great knowledge of - for military, and I think I have better vision for Syria than a lot of the so-called great military geniuses that are saying how to fight the war with Syria."

"“I know more about ISIS than the generals do. Believe me.”

"“I do know what to do and I would know how to bring ISIS to the table or beyond that, defeat ISIS very quickly and I’m not going to tell you what is… All I can tell you it is a foolproof way of winning.”

More pearls of "wisdom" out there.