Andrew Sachs, the much loved Fawlty Towers actor, dies aged 86

webfact

Andrew Sachs, the much loved Fawlty Towers actor, dies aged 86

Telegraph Reporters 

Andrew Sachs, the much loved Fawlty Towers actor famed for his role as Manuel, has died at the age of 86, his wife has announced.

The actor had been battling dementia for the past four years and died in a care home last week, Melody Sachs said. He was buried on Thursday.

"My heart has been broken every day for a long time," she said, adding that the actor had remained positive to the end: "I never once heard him grumble."

Full story: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/01/andrew-sachs-much-loved-fawlty-towers-actor-manuel-role-dies/

-- The Telegraph 2016-12-02

What a shame. 2016 really has been a horrible year for notable deaths. Wonderful bloke with a lovely voice. Many don't realise he also did a lot of narrative work, such as with National Geographic (below). Never forgive Jonathan Ross and that douche Russel Brand for winding him up with those prank calls. RIP ole mate. :jap:

Was only watching some Faulty on yt the other day, & thinking the same as @ezzra.  Manuel was genuinely funny, without making fun in a nasty way about Spanish people.  All the 'comedians' these days seem to use swear words, direct sexual references & scathing remarks.  Still, no doubt, the younger elements on here, will just think I'm an 'old timer'. :smile:

RIP Manuel.

Was only watching some Faulty on yt the other day, & thinking the same as@ezzra.  Manuel was genuinely funny, without making fun in a nasty way about Spanish people.  All the 'comedians' these days seem to use swear words, direct sexual references & scathing remarks.  Still, no doubt, the younger elements on here, will just think I'm an 'old timer'. [emoji2]

RIP Manuel.

Us old timers should be grateful we grew up with some great comedy on TV. Most alternative comedy should be alternative TO comedy.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

When looking back at the old classic comedy series, I am always surprised at how few episodes they actually made. Fawlty Towers only had two seasons of six episodes each, it somehow seems like there should have been more than that possibly because we have watched re-runs of each episode so many times over the years.

Sophon

The gentleman had quite an escape from Germany in 1938. His father was arrested and was due to be sent to a concentration camp. Luckily, his father had a client in the  Berlin police force who was able to help otherwise he would have joined the rest of Berlin's jews in a German oven. When the family  escaped, they lost everything. His early childhood was  marked by poverty and of course, the  war.  However, despite all of that he achieved success and some semblance of peace in England. The country gave him security and an opportunity to follow his dreams. The takeaway for me is that depsite early hardship we can all achieve, and for those who are always whinging about England and how bad it is, well,  it was good enough to provide refuge for this guy and   help him succeed.

And knowing what he went through, just makes the obsecene calls from Jon Ross and Russell Brand that much more malicious and obnoxious. 2 lowlife bullies tormenting an old man with  tales of raping his grand daughter.

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

They don't make them anymore the way they used to, the classics, the simple clever humor no sex scenes or violence to make the flick saleable and more appealing...

An absolute classic British comedy series loved the world over - especially by my dear American friends.

RIP 'Manuel' - you were brilliant!

1 hour ago, Sophon said:

When looking back at the old classic comedy series, I am always surprised at how few episodes they actually made. Fawlty Towers only had two seasons of six episodes each, it somehow seems like there should have been more than that possibly because we have watched re-runs of each episode so many times over the years.

Sophon

This is one area (among many) that British tv is superior to American.  The Brits never flog a good idea to death.  For example, the British "Till Death do us Part" (not more than 20 episodes?) became in US "All in the Family" and flogged and flogged and flogged for years and years and years.  (And always the same: Archie Bunker being a whining curmudgeon, Meathead being...well...Meathead,  the mother "putting up" with her complaining husband and the daughter showing off her legs and t!ts. And the humour was always "situational"....never linguistic (as in FT).  (The same could be said for the even more embarrassing Seinfeld...never a single genuine quip...but all about situations.)

They tried to transplant Fawlty T, but it didn't work...an embarrassing failure.

If a show has good ratings on US tv, it will just go on and on until it no longer has good ratings, resulting often in bringing something to a lame conclusion.  Other examples of stuff that went on too long: Mad Men and Homeland (granted the latter were not comedies, but still too too long.)

Another icon from our era passed on. Sigh!! David Bowie, George (Arfur Daley) Cole, Terry Wogan, Victoria Wood, Paul Daniels, Cilla Black, Robert Vaughn, Ronnie Corbett, Johan Cruyff, Frank Kelly (Father Jack, feckk, arse, drink, girls), Jean Alexander (Hilda Ogden), Caroline Ahern (Royle Family), Muhammad Ali, Carla Lane (Liver Birds).................:crying:

:402: RIP Andrew :402:

Edited by Cuchulainn

1 hour ago, Cuchulainn said:

Another icon from our era passed on. Sigh!! David Bowie, George (Arfur Daley) Cole, Terry Wogan, Victoria Wood, Paul Daniels, Cilla Black, Robert Vaughn, Ronnie Corbett, Johan Cruyff, Frank Kelly (Father Jack, feckk, arse, drink, girls), Jean Alexander (Hilda Ogden), Caroline Ahern (Royle Family), Muhammad Ali, Carla Lane (Liver Birds).................:crying:

:402: RIP Andrew :402:

You've really sparked me up.:sad: I also regret the passing of the people who gave us pleasure, but selfishly clap my hands that I'm lucky enough to have nearly reached 83 without any serious health problems. As they say "Come on Brian. Look on the bright side of life'. And again. R.I.P. Manuel and thanks for the laughs