All Roads and Sois to be Emptied of Street Vendors?

mojaco

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

The only elitist here is you. Do you work, or do you have a shop in the  affected  area? or are you one of thes epeople who has the luxury of  a pension and  can  just  loll about with all the time in the world? How many time sdoes it have to be explained to you why these black market merchants have to go?  I will give you the highlights;

1. Ingress/Egress: if there is a fire or an ambulance call, the congestion caused by these vendors impedes a rapid response. Wait until you drop with a stroke and  the ambulance can't get to you for 30 minutes and we can discuss again.

2. Unfair advantage: The shop keepers all pay taxes. The black marketeers do not. The vendors you idolize pay nothing for the municipal services they benefit from. It is unfair that the  shop operators pay taxes and these balck marketeers do not.

3. Corruption: The  black marketeers  pay bribes to locla officials to break the law. The only way to stop this is to get rid of the source of corruption. It's like a rat problem. Clean up the food source and the rats go away.

4. Pollution and  Health Hazard: The shopkeepers are a major source of illegal dumping of chemicals, of  trash and  of food leftovers. They cook in unclean conditions and they leave a mess behind.

5. Quality of life: The black marketeers take over public space that does not belong to them and force people into the road or to walk in  unsafe crowded manner. They hold everyone up.

For those of us who have somewhere to go and  appointments and things to do, goodbye and good riddance to this nuisance. They have bene given  appropriate merchant areas to peddle their garbage products. They can  go sell their Chinese junk that  falls apart after a few weeks in those locations.

It would seem that someone got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning. Now, now mother, settle down.:smile:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Why do dso many elderly  westerners  insist that Thailand be held back and kept at 3rd world standards. Young Thaiis don't like dirty street vendors anymore than I do.  My friends who have been to Singapore  come back to Thailand feeling a bit embarrassed. If you want to live in a 3rd world setting, then yes, perhaps it is time to move to Laos or Cambodia or North Korea.

I think most of these street vendors would be more than happy to get away from third world living standards. The first step being fair wages, 80 cents per hour will not get them anywhere near getting out of third world living standards.  These people are only trying to make a go at life and being tossed to the side for trying. When they have a better opportunity they will be glad to go. Trust me, there are a lot of rich people living in fancy buildings in Laos, Cambodia and North Korea too. They think just like you do.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Trying to walk down Sukhumvit when the vendors were on both sides of the pavement was almost impossible.

That sort of "character" I can do without.

As for the food carts, without running water they are a health hazard.

Singapore solved the problem many years ago. They moved the food vendors into food courts beside the pavements, where they had washing facilities and hygienic food surfaces, but kept the character of street food.

Most of the junk stalls are not much cheaper than those in malls like MBK.

I certainly hope they do remove those hazards from main road pavements. I don't want to have to walk in the traffic so some stall selling tat can block the pavement.

I really hope Thailand never follows singapore it's a ruined place now no heart and soul as it used to be. I am one who happens to like the street vendors and the array of food they sell. no 9ne seems to mind walking on the road apart from a few on here of course but you get kill joys everywhere. I have never met a Thai yet who doesn't use or want street vendors. I would disagree about then being food hazards. I have never had any bouts of sickness from food bought from them. However I only buy cooked food never uncooked. Any way it will never happen in my opinion

I don't have enough experience experience but to say either way.   I see both sides.   Maybe now is a good time to invest in store front property.  Oh wait farang can't do that.  

I am constantly asking financial questions of all Thai's I meet. 

My phuket lady tells me restaurant owners she knows make 1-2 million a month profit in high season and that's why they can buy property and houses.

She also knows some fruit market ladies and they can make 10-20 k profit a day for high season.  This year maybe only 10 k a day.   Low season is 2-5 k.    My friend has loaned these for folks some $.  She told me interest free.  We stopped by every day to collect 500 baht and I didn't VC want law trouble from illegal loan sharking 

18 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

The only elitist here is you. Do you work, or do you have a shop in the  affected  area? or are you one of thes epeople who has the luxury of  a pension and  can  just  loll about with all the time in the world? How many time sdoes it have to be explained to you why these black market merchants have to go?  I will give you the highlights;

1. Ingress/Egress: if there is a fire or an ambulance call, the congestion caused by these vendors impedes a rapid response. Wait until you drop with a stroke and  the ambulance can't get to you for 30 minutes and we can discuss again.

2. Unfair advantage: The shop keepers all pay taxes. The black marketeers do not. The vendors you idolize pay nothing for the municipal services they benefit from. It is unfair that the  shop operators pay taxes and these balck marketeers do not.

3. Corruption: The  black marketeers  pay bribes to locla officials to break the law. The only way to stop this is to get rid of the source of corruption. It's like a rat problem. Clean up the food source and the rats go away.

4. Pollution and  Health Hazard: The shopkeepers are a major source of illegal dumping of chemicals, of  trash and  of food leftovers. They cook in unclean conditions and they leave a mess behind.

5. Quality of life: The black marketeers take over public space that does not belong to them and force people into the road or to walk in  unsafe crowded manner. They hold everyone up.

For those of us who have somewhere to go and  appointments and things to do, goodbye and good riddance to this nuisance. They have bene given  appropriate merchant areas to peddle their garbage products. They can  go sell their Chinese junk that  falls apart after a few weeks in those locations.

Is phad thai made in China? I for one will miss the tasty food that street vendors sell. All we'll have in its place will be the usual bunch of boring franchise outlets - MK, yayoi, KFC, McD, Fiji etc - in more and more equally boring shopping malls. Bangkok is starting to look like anywhere else, it's charming culture has been erased by corporate greed.

3 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Is phad thai made in China? I for one will miss the tasty food that street vendors sell. All we'll have in its place will be the usual bunch of boring franchise outlets - MK, yayoi, KFC, McD, Fiji etc - in more and more equally boring shopping malls. Bangkok is starting to look like anywhere else, it's charming culture has been erased by corporate greed.

mostly talk! even the military government won't be able to get rid of street food vendors.

On 12/2/2016 at 3:25 PM, phantomfiddler said:

On the other hand consider the businessman who has gone to great expense buying property on a street, only to have a street vendor appear and set up outside his shop and compete with him, facing overheads that are very close to zero ? Not really fair, is it ? Also the street vendors, after being in a location for a period of time, act as if they own their piece of street or sidewalk, often leaving piles of garbage to be cleaned up every day. Two sides to every story.

Obviously some strong views here

Some additional observations

THIS IS THAILAND

Go to many medium sized restaurants and people bring their own booze  This is Thailand

Many Thais eat their own food in restaurants and the street vendors sell there  This is Thailand

Open a 7/11 store and soon Family Mart or Tesco Lotus opens next door This is Thailand

For the man who has a shop, he knows this is Thailand, and if he is not happy he can go to a shopping mall, This is Thailand

Mini bus and buses generally kill many people each month, the energy to change should be directed to things like this, not persecuting street traders

Thailand is Thailand with many imperfections as we all have

Live and let Live

Maybe coincidence but Pattaya has a fair amount of vendors recently moved, driving through for the first time in a couple of months it was very noticable in quite a few areas that they had been moved on. The buildings and shacks have also gone just empty pavements and verges

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

These are nothing more than squatters and scum. Here is a test try opening a hot dog cart in your home town in the west and count the minutes before a squad car arrives.
Time for the streets to be handed back to the people!

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

If this is True  SAD  SAD  very SAD

Most of these people do not make fortunes, they live from day to day

They add color, they add some very good street food

They are doing their best to survive and pay their way

Sending them to the approved markets will be the end of many

I suggest those making these rules in their chaufeured limosines change places for a week, this is just SO SAD

No way, who are they feeding? The other illegal squatters that have taken over the streets eg, the 1000 stall holders on sukhumvit who were making a fortune ripping off tourists.

11 minutes ago, mcfish said:

These are nothing more than squatters and scum. Here is a test try opening a hot dog cart in your home town in the west and count the minutes before a squad car arrives.

Rather silly test we are not in home countries. But to answer it why not go to town hall and get a street vendors licence and away you go. "Squatters and scum" how to make friends and influence people eh. "time to hand the streets back to the people" correct me if I'm wrong aren't the people selling on stalls  PEOPLE ? Oh for got there " Squaters and Scum". Why do you get so wound up take a chill pill and let the Thai people run Thailand. As sure as it will rain in the next year they certainly won't be listening to your rants. 

Rather silly test we are not in home countries. But to answer it why not go to town hall and get a street vendors licence and away you go. "Squatters and scum" how to make friends and influence people eh. "time to hand the streets back to the people" correct me if I'm wrong aren't the people selling on stalls  PEOPLE ? Oh for got there " Squaters and Scum". Why do you get so wound up take a chill pill and let the Thai people run Thailand. As sure as it will rain in the next year they certainly won't be listening to your rants. 

I don't know where you live but these idiots casually stroll into every little side soi on sukhumvit and lock there carts and turn barely functioning 2way soi into gridlock x that by 1000 sois and they could care less.

Sounds like your up country, am I right?

I rest my case!

this is very good news; for the disabled, the elderly, those with small children, indeed anyone who wants to move around the city safely - we all know how dangerous the roads are here, clear the pavements so they can be used effectively and efficiently by those they are intended for.

it will make the city more accessible for all, as it should be. the sooner these vendors are regulated and organised in market areas where they do not cause an obstruction to others the better. this happened on asoke a few years ago and works perfectly well. the vendors can sell, the people can move around safely; win win.

40 minutes ago, mcfish said:

I don't know where you live but these idiots casually stroll into every little side soi on sukhumvit and lock there carts and turn barely functioning 2way soi into gridlock x that by 1000 sois and they could care less.

Sounds like your up country, am I right?

I rest my case!

You would be wrong then I rest my case

On 12/2/2016 at 2:27 PM, Svadhistana said:

I hope so

These are very poor people tying to eek out an existence. I'm sure you would feel differently if you were in their shoes.  God they don't hurt anyone.

Pretty $$$$$$$ cold man.

16 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Where do you live?

Where I live is not the question really where I worked is more of the question BKK. Recently (2 months ago retired. Many years working and living in BKK all of which I had no problems with street vendors in fact I used very many. So yes I can speak as someone who knows.

I would also add your constant name calling "Squaters/Idiots" really no need is there they are people BKK residents trying to make a living.

Edited by Deepinthailand
To add a sentence

1 hour ago, mcfish said:

Squatters and scum?  Takes one to know one.  Completely rude and low class comment.

1 minute ago, Deepinthailand said:

Where I live is not the question really where I worked is more of the question BKK. Recently (2 months ago retired. Many years working and living in BKK all of which I had no problems with street vendors in fact I used very many. So yes I can speak as someone who knows.

I patronize them regularly here in Bang Lamung.  For one of the BMs to say they re squatters and scum is heartless and feeble minded.  Truly tragic state of mind.  Do you think they are having fun out there!?

Squatters and scum?  Takes one to know one.  Completely rude and low class comment.

Yeah right they are upstanding pillars of the community and that's why the government are giving them the boot! They have fed the street mafia and hookers for a 100 years and not paid a dime in tax whilst making it difficult for the elderly and impossible for The disabled

Snap out of it!

I would also add your constant name calling "Squaters/Idiots" really no need is there they are people BKK residents trying to make a living.

So you don't live in Bangkok right?

On 02/12/2016 at 8:57 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

The idea that street vendors are poor is a fallacy. One, who (outside Bangkok) sells fried bananas by the road, has just given 3 million baht to a hospital. I know of one in northern Bangkok who owns three houses. Thais often save every satang they have instead of flying off to America or Europe for a holiday or making sure they have the latest car every year or the biggest tv, so they might appear to be poor but that isn't necessarily the case.

Amazing what several hundred baht a day can buy. I bet you know loads of stories ... Barry Bullsh7t would be a more appropriate name.

BKK turned sterile about 10 years ago, used to love lower Sukhumvit with its street bars ... now they've shiny flats and Nigerians instead.

Edited by ffaarraanngg

On 03/12/2016 at 5:24 AM, geriatrickid said:

Why do dso many elderly  westerners  insist that Thailand be held back and kept at 3rd world standards. Young Thaiis don't like dirty street vendors anymore than I do.  My friends who have been to Singapore  come back to Thailand feeling a bit embarrassed. If you want to live in a 3rd world setting, then yes, perhaps it is time to move to Laos or Cambodia or North Korea.

IM not that elderly and having street stalls is hardly a characteristic of the 3rd world ... they have them in London only problem is only the rich can afford to rent them.

See what happened to Kings X since the renovation.

You just want everything standardised and bland as its all you middle class student boys have ever known.

Thanks fck i saw a bit of the world in the late 70s to early 90s, its only going to get more sterile when you ****suckers are running it.

Edited by ffaarraanngg

12 hours ago, thai3 said:

Let's hope its true then the country can start at least looking like a developed one, instead of third world dump.

Bangkok hardly looks like a 3rd world dump. Why don't you move to a developed country? Is it because you're not very good with women and can't take advantage of them due to their dire financial circumstances?

I'd say the standard of expat in Bangkok is what needs addressing, the new breed really do think everyone should think and do exactly as they say. Snowflakes i shitem.

IM not that elderly and having street stalls is hardly a characteristic of the 3rd world ... they have them in London only problem is only the rich can afford to rent them.

See what happened to Kings X since the renovation.

You just want everything standardised and bland as its all you middle class student boys have ever known.

Thanks fck i saw a bit of the world in the late 70s to early 90s, its only going to get more sterile when you ****suckers are running it.

You do sound kinda old. But it's not about you so slap your self in the face and listen! Stop meddling in the lives of thais they have made their choice, the streets are being released back to the public. You can still buy a 30baht meal at 7/11 so get over your self old man

2 hours ago, mcfish said:

You do sound kinda old. But it's not about you so slap your self in the face and listen! Stop meddling in the lives of thais they have made their choice, the streets are being released back to the public. You can still buy a 30baht meal at 7/11 so get over your self old man

A little mouthy boy who writes in the language of text.

I don't go to Thailand very much its turned into a sterile place full of jumped up young farangs who think they're gods gift. Get yourselfout of BKK and you will see Thais still like to eat street food.

The fact you think a world where people buy a 30bht 7/11 meal and go home to eat it is an improvement speaks volumes of your kind. You have no character and never will, now go put some pictures of yourself on facebook to make yourself look interesting.

9 hours ago, ffaarraanngg said:

Amazing what several hundred baht a day can buy. I bet you know loads of stories ... Barry Bullsh7t would be a more appropriate name.

BKK turned sterile about 10 years ago, used to love lower Sukhumvit with its street bars ... now they've shiny flats and Nigerians instead.

I really have no reason to care whether you believe or not what I know.