U Beer

naboo

http://www.brandbuffet.in.th/2016/11/ubeer-singha-beer-war/

New beer from Singa group, called U Beer. Dreadful name, but I'll enjoy asking the girls for "a bottle of U".

5%, 320ml and 620ml bottles, to be priced the same as Chang.

The rep I spoke to last night said he should have some sample bottles by next weekend. Taste "same same all other beer" were his exact words.

http://www.placesandfoods.com/2016/12/u-beer-latest-beer-thailand.html

Quote:

According to Cookies, U Beer is the latest beer from Singha Corporation. It is set to cater to the young generation who are more designed conscious, hipster, fun and lifestyle savvy. If you look at the design of U Beer, it is fun and modern. For the taste, it is better for you to find out.

31012914970_4d8991eeed_c.jpg

I hope it tastes better than the designer beers which have flooded the market in UK.

They need to be chilled to make them drinkable. When served merely cool they either taste foul or have no taste at all.

Had one last night. If you don't put any ice in, you will notice a subtle flavour.

May become my beer of choice. Will be out this weekend looking for the U girls.

Sorry for the dark pic, night time. :-(

IMG_20161208_193846.jpg

• 3 months later...

I stumbled upon this beer at my local market. I was surprised because the availability of this beer is scarce at the moment. You can't find it in 7/11 or any supermarket chains. But from what I've heard now it is available in some deposit stores. I believe U Beer will be largely available pretty soon. I might be wrong though.

Now let's talk about what this beer brings. It is a lager, so its colour is as any other lager. When opened it pours same as Leo. The scent is sweet and honey like. Same it comes to the taste, I couldn't spot any bitterness. You can taste mild, sweet honey like flavour. It is smooth and very drinkable. 

My verdict. There is no lager produced in Thailand that tastes so sweet. It does the work with its 5 % ABV. It is targeted towards young people who haven't developed the taste for dark beers or pilseners. I think it is a competitor to Federbrau beer that aims the same young market, but Federbrau will have a hard time competing with U Beer, because U Beer is cheaper and tastes better. I believe U Beer is going to do well. It will be a beer choice for people who enjoy a sweet drink without bitterness. 

IMG_20170331_201138.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Having a large bottle now. UNDERwhelmed is putting it nicely. Actually better with ice, as the ice dilutes the overly sweet flavor. 

As the original Chang is a distant memory, ALL Thai beers pretty much suck now. That said, wouldn't buy this again if drinking a local brew. Would much rather a Singha Light or Leo.

That said...gimme a Tiger or definitely a Beer Lao regular or especially Lao Dark any day! :burp:

wasn't disgusting like Chang or Old Leos...would take a Tiger or Heineken any day of the week, instead...or even a Singha...Tiger prices are less than SIngha, nowadays....2 large for 104 at Tops...maybe 620 or so per case at Makro....Keep it cold, and fresh....I once had Leos in Khon Kaen that were only two days old....unfortunately, every one I have had since has ranged from not as good to downright salad dressing vinaigrette disgusting.  It must be 50 C in the back of that truck they deliver the Leos around CM in.    Maybe I should smoke a pack of cigarettes a day and won't notice things like sour beer and other forms of yeast infections.

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy

Saw cans of it on the shelf of my local 7/11 in BKK the other day, right next to the new Orange flavored beer from Cheers.

Gave the orange beer a try on a lark. Not interested in anything from Singha, including a sweet beer that tastes like all other Thai beers.

:bah::bah::bah:

• 2 weeks later...