Uber patrons in Chiang Mai

anon467848

I just gave it a test this morning for a run to the airport.  One car.  Uber black choice only.  450 baht.  Hmmmm.  Nothing to rave about by a LONG way and not a patch on BKK, only to be expected I guess.

Edited by SooKee

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, SooKee said:

I just gave it a test this morning for a run to the airport.  One car.  Uber black choice only.  450 baht.  Hmmmm.  Nothing to rave about by a LONG way and not a patch on BKK, only to be expected I guess.

Uber Black? In Chiang Mai? 

Just looked again.  Hangdong to Night Bazaar.  450B.  Bargain (not!!!).  Regular two drivers I use around 250-300.  Same trip on Grab, with a lot more cars around 116-174 (although with my airport experience from Grab I guess that'd go up by 100 minimum by the time they called back, maybe more.  Be giving Uber and Grab pass here I think.  Might work out OK for some depending where you are I suppose.

LOVE Uber!  It truly is a game-changer!

I was an Uber virgin (never used it before CM), and I was concerned the app would be difficult to use, insist on credit card info, or be expensive.

NOT!  (On all counts).

The  only downside for me is my best Thai buddy is a Tuk-Tuk driver.  We still hang out, have coffee, etc., but I don't call her for rides any more.  I think she knows why, too, but we don't talk about it (!)

Just today I called Uber from Worowat, laden with purchases, just too pooped to deal with a red truck.  My driver arrived in 2 minutes, got me home swiftly (in seat-belted, air conditioned splendor!).  50 baht to my place in the Old City.

I walk with a cane, and often need transport for even short hops around town.  I find it cheaper than tuk tuks, and not much more than using 1+  Songteaws to get me where I need to go.

Especially recommended for night travel, when other transport can get difficult.

Uber is wonderful in Chiang Mai!!, much rather take it then have to walk down a barely existent pavement with tonnes of smelly motorbikes. They have some promotion this week, I have been paying about 10-20 baht for most rides haha

I have it hooked up to my Revolut card, I like just walking out of the door and not having to deal with driver for cash

• 2 weeks later...

I was just in Chiang Mai, used Uber five times. Out of those five times, two of the drivers told me that with the rates being charged, it was nearly impossible to make much if any profit at all by driving, apart from airport trips at 150 baht. Both said they were planning to give it up. Makes sense to me, as a ride across town taking 20 minutes in the horrible traffic this past week cost me about 35 baht. Added to that, they had to spend time getting to me and then driving around or waiting for the next ride. Uber takes 25% of whatever you pay, so do the math.

I am starting to think that unless Uber raises their rates a bit, drivers may begin to get scarce if they cannot make any money at it.

Recall that Miss Thailand, in recent beauty contest, dressed as a lovely Tuk-Tuk and won a big prize for 'outstanding national pride and local color'.  Who could dress as a Mazda and win a prize?

And, maybe more seriously, giving credit card, phone #, etc to online operators simply opens the door to misbehaviour, and eventual sorrow, to you.  I won't do it.

Additionally, returning late at night from a long air journey to CNX and hopping an open-air tuk-tuk home is way better than some common air con car.

39 minutes ago, jobin said:

Recall that Miss Thailand, in recent beauty contest, dressed as a lovely Tuk-Tuk and won a big prize for 'outstanding national pride and local color'.  Who could dress as a Mazda and win a prize?

And, maybe more seriously, giving credit card, phone #, etc to online operators simply opens the door to misbehaviour, and eventual sorrow, to you.  I won't do it.

Additionally, returning late at night from a long air journey to CNX and hopping an open-air tuk-tuk home is way better than some common air con car.

I suppose Miss Thailand's costume and its relevance to Uber escapes me. If you prefer haggling and then paying more fare for a tuk-tuk than an air-conditioned car, then that is certainly your option; however that escapes me as well.

As for providing your credit card to "online operators", with that paranoia, then you will be better off not having a credit card at all. Each time you use a credit card you provide your credit card data to an online operator. With the example of Uber, only Uber have access to your credit card details and you can be sure they have adequate security since their entire business model relies on it. Besides, you can pay your Uber driver in cash if you prefer.

8 minutes ago, thai006 said:

was in cm for christmass ; use only uber ,  and fantastic all time ,30 b trip  50 b trip what a lot of money save :P 

So with Uber's 25% cut, that means your driver earned 22.5 and 37.5 baht respectively. That is precisely why Uber drivers are complaining that they cannot make any money driving for them in Chiang Mai. Hope you left them a tip.

Tested it , loved it. Nong Hoi to Moat in around 40-50 thb : Honda Civic, H.Jazz, Toyota Altis, comfortable and safe. OK Drivers, I mean they are slow but safe. I paid cash, with always around 15-20thb tip ( 45thb -> 60thb) ... Still better than mini 100 THb tuk-tuk. And they don’t discuss the price, they just say EXACTLY the price (39, 42, etv).

Well satisfied customer ... speaking Thai, I can have a normal conversation. 90% of customers are foreigners, I have been told.

By the way I like the Uber app, clear ans fast.

Phil.

7 hours ago, bubba said:

I was just in Chiang Mai, used Uber five times. Out of those five times, two of the drivers told me that with the rates being charged, it was nearly impossible to make much if any profit at all by driving, apart from airport trips at 150 baht. Both said they were planning to give it up. Makes sense to me, as a ride across town taking 20 minutes in the horrible traffic this past week cost me about 35 baht. Added to that, they had to spend time getting to me and then driving around or waiting for the next ride. Uber takes 25% of whatever you pay, so do the math.

I am starting to think that unless Uber raises their rates a bit, drivers may begin to get scarce if they cannot make any money at it.

It's common for service providers in CM to complain they don't make enough money.

6 hours ago, mesquite said:

It's common for service providers in CM to complain they don't make enough money.

I do agree with you about that. But in this case, I am wondering whether Uber drivers make anything at all. Think about it - there is a lot of cost involved operating a car, including cost, depreciation (Uber require a late-model car), petrol, insurance, taxes, and maintenance. One driver I spoke with told me that she most often earned about 80 baht per hour, without any airport trips (150 baht flat rate). Sometimes it is zero or 20 baht, with no calls coming in. Subtract all the costs and what is left for the driver? Certainly not a decent living at near minimum wage. Housekeeping jobs at hotels probably pay much better.

I really like Uber as well and not just because it is so cheap; however, considering this, I have taken to at least giving the drivers a modicum of a tip. Unless Uber give them a better fare or better share of the fare, I can't imagine how long it will last, with drivers signing up, finding that they cannot earn any money and then leaving, then perhaps some new drivers coming in to have a go at it. There is a limited pool available for this. 

7 minutes ago, bubba said:

I do agree with you about that. But in this case, I am wondering whether Uber drivers make anything at all. Think about it - there is a lot of cost involved operating a car, including cost, depreciation (Uber require a late-model car), petrol, insurance, taxes, and maintenance. One driver I spoke with told me that she most often earned about 80 baht per hour, without any airport trips (150 baht flat rate). Sometimes it is zero or 20 baht, with no calls coming in. Subtract all the costs and what is left for the driver? Certainly not a decent living at near minimum wage. Housekeeping jobs at hotels probably pay much better.

I really like Uber as well and not just because it is so cheap; however, considering this, I have taken to at least giving the drivers a modicum of a tip. Unless Uber give them a better fare or better share of the fare, I can't imagine how long it will last, with drivers signing up, finding that they cannot earn any money and then leaving, then perhaps some new drivers coming in to have a go at it. There is a limited pool available for this. 

Thank you!!! - It is so nice to finally hear a comment on this forum discussing how little some drivers make and the fact that they have expenses and even families to feed. I am so tired of reading about how people got "ripped off" for 10 baht and such. I have found if you have some respect for the drivers, they are mostly very nice people, just doing what is usually a thankless job. 

I was pleased to find Uber in CM and have used it a half dozen times this week, including quite late at night. Rarely more than a 5-6 minute wait, although at 2am it took closer to 25-- still less than the hassle of finding a tuk tuk to take me to my home and less expensive even with the unsolicited tips I give.  I may simply have been lucky or helped by good ratings. (Customers are rated just as drivers are and that information is available to the driver when a request is made).

None of the drivers I've had in CM (or elsewhere) to this point have been full-time, which very likely makes a difference. If the economics or novelty don't work it will disappear, of course.

Tonight will be an interesting test. 

Edited by justmaybe
punctuation

last time at maya want back around chang puak  at 7 pm  a tuk tuk come and ask   where u go , he say 150 i say  No lol 120 no 100 no  he ask  me how much  i say uber ride me there for 50 b can  you ? and he gone without say anything hahahah  finish mafia  taxi 

Many believe globalization//massive income inequaltiy//mcdonalds not noodles//99% of wealth in hands of 1% and worldwide internet coverage is grand and thank goodness Uber is a part of that. Yeah, i've criticized here for not going uber, not going facecrap, not going airbb, not going down the lane with my eyes glued to a 3 inch screen but i hear the birds sing,  see the beauty of the sunrise in person, and have felt the warm evening breeze in the seat of the tuk-tuk.

I've got bags of money but would prefer to share with local folks not mr uber nor his ilk.  Many here think saving a penny or two, sitting in air/con all the time, getting a cheap ride on the back of a poor person within minutes, buying the chinese smartphone, using credit cards to buy a 20 baht item, posting photos of daily meals on facecrap all make for a modern person and those not conforming are luddite jerkballs.  

I pity you. 

1 hour ago, jobin said:

Many believe globalization//massive income inequaltiy//mcdonalds not noodles//99% of wealth in hands of 1% and worldwide internet coverage is grand and thank goodness Uber is a part of that. Yeah, i've criticized here for not going uber, not going facecrap, not going airbb, not going down the lane with my eyes glued to a 3 inch screen but i hear the birds sing,  see the beauty of the sunrise in person, and have felt the warm evening breeze in the seat of the tuk-tuk.

I've got bags of money but would prefer to share with local folks not mr uber nor his ilk.  Many here think saving a penny or two, sitting in air/con all the time, getting a cheap ride on the back of a poor person within minutes, buying the chinese smartphone, using credit cards to buy a 20 baht item, posting photos of daily meals on facecrap all make for a modern person and those not conforming are luddite jerkballs.  

I pity you. 

I don't agree with you. I myself am more than happy to leave the money entirely in the local communities, but this situation in CM has been created by the Transport Mafia, not by Uber. Now the Mafia leans the hard way what "power of markets" means.

I am very sure most people would use local services if those services were not meant to rip you off.

So now the Mafia guys get what they deserve - genuine market power poison, but a remedy for the consumer

If people think the UBER fare is too low (and from reports here I would agree it is), then some of those using UBER should start a FB group that demands to give the drivers a fair compensation. The power of social networks usually helps....

On 12/31/2016 at 11:42 AM, thai006 said:

last time at maya want back around chang puak  at 7 pm […] i say uber ride me there for 50 b can  you ?

On 12/31/2016 at 10:56 PM, siam2007 said:

So now the Mafia guys get what they deserve - genuine market power poison, but a remedy for the consumer

Something about these comments just rub me the wrong way.

Thailand has a serious problem when it comes to educating their citizens, so we have people who are without proper education, especially the ethnic minorities (of which there are many in Chiang Mai) which lack the rights of full-fledged citizens, so these people have rather limited options when it comes to jobs.

There is also little to no retirement and health care system for these people, so many have to care for their immediate and possibly also extended family.

That we can make these people drive us around for 50 baht is only because they have no other options. It has nothing to do with the power of the free market and it’s ability to have competition minimize profit, but everything to do with having a class of people who are effectively slaves for the rest of us.

These people (who drive us around for 50 baht) are basically excluded from buying stuff at the same stores as us, eat at that the same restaurants, stay at the same hotels, etc.

And yet we have foreigners hassling over an already ridiculously low price, equating their attempt of getting proper pay for the job they perform with how mafiosos work, etc.

It makes me ashamed to be a foreigner in Thailand, because these cheap charlies damage the reputation of all of us. Sadly, I have heard Thais say “farang kee-niaw” far too many times, and following this forum, it’s hard not to agree.

At the same time we have foreigners think they are a gift to Thailand and the Thai economy, maybe not the same group, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it was. Probably also the same group who do not understand why young attractive Thai women do not hang around their favorite bar, which is only their favorite because they have the cheapest beers.

5 hours ago, lkn said:

Something about these comments just rub me the wrong way.

Thailand has a serious problem when it comes to educating their citizens, so we have people who are without proper education, especially the ethnic minorities (of which there are many in Chiang Mai) which lack the rights of full-fledged citizens, so these people have rather limited options when it comes to jobs.

There is also little to no retirement and health care system for these people, so many have to care for their immediate and possibly also extended family.

That we can make these people drive us around for 50 baht is only because they have no other options. It has nothing to do with the power of the free market and it’s ability to have competition minimize profit, but everything to do with having a class of people who are effectively slaves for the rest of us.

These people (who drive us around for 50 baht) are basically excluded from buying stuff at the same stores as us, eat at that the same restaurants, stay at the same hotels, etc.

And yet we have foreigners hassling over an already ridiculously low price, equating their attempt of getting proper pay for the job they perform with how mafiosos work, etc.

It makes me ashamed to be a foreigner in Thailand, because these cheap charlies damage the reputation of all of us. Sadly, I have heard Thais say “farang kee-niaw” far too many times, and following this forum, it’s hard not to agree.

At the same time we have foreigners think they are a gift to Thailand and the Thai economy, maybe not the same group, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it was. Probably also the same group who do not understand why young attractive Thai women do not hang around their favorite bar, which is only their favorite because they have the cheapest beers.

Most of the Uber drivers I've met in Chiang Mai either (a) have other jobs and are supplementing their income or (b) are university students.  They hardly fit the fictional profile that you've invented above.  Methinks you know little or nothing about Uber or the people who drive for Uber.  

But, hey, if ranting about social inequities in Thailand makes you feel better then maybe you could start a thread about that.  Maybe even include some actual data instead of your own predetermined biases about white people treating Thais as slaves.

On 12/5/2016 at 7:47 AM, millwall_fan said:

Don't ask them how much it is or they'll assume you want a private hire. Tell the driver where you want to go, if he nods get in and give him 20B when you get out. 

This.  Don't mention money.  If you are a little nervous about doing it, have a 20 baht note in your hand.  As you lean into the window to tell the driver where you're going, lean your hand with the note on the window.  If they tell you 40 baht, 50 baht, smile and say sow baht.  Sow is CM dialect for 20.  By using sow rather than yee sip (formal Thai for 20) the driver will know that you're not a tourist and you know the what the price should be.  Some drivers won't take you, just wave them away and flag down the next one. Rinse and repeat.  My record is 7 drivers saying no before I got one (some just weren't going in my direction, some wanted more money), but it didn't take much more than 5 minutes for the 8th one to take me.  Don't waste your time trying to haggle with them.  Once you say 'Sow baht' and they say no, wave them on and wait for the next.  But it really is better to not mention money.

Also, never approach a stationary truck, always stand somewhere where the drivers can pull over without causing traffic havoc and flag one down.

Something about these comments just rub me the wrong

You do not know what real slavery is nor do you know about sea creatures but are correct about need for education as you aptly demonstrate.

40 minutes ago, Konini said:

This.  Don't mention money.  If you are a little nervous about doing it, have a 20 baht note in your hand.  As you lean into the window to tell the driver where you're going, lean your hand with the note on the window.  If they tell you 40 baht, 50 baht, smile and say sow baht.  Sow is CM dialect for 20.  By using sow rather than yee sip (formal Thai for 20) the driver will know that you're not a tourist and you know the what the price should be.  Some drivers won't take you, just wave them away and flag down the next one. Rinse and repeat.  My record is 7 drivers saying no before I got one (some just weren't going in my direction, some wanted more money), but it didn't take much more than 5 minutes for the 8th one to take me.  Don't waste your time trying to haggle with them.  Once you say 'Sow baht' and they say no, wave them on and wait for the next.  But it really is better to not mention money.

Also, never approach a stationary truck, always stand somewhere where the drivers can pull over without causing traffic havoc and flag one down.

I honestly do not believe that learning the northern Thai word for "twenty" is going to convince a tuk tuk or songthaew driver to give you a competitive, local rate. 

But what you have described here is the complicated and often expensive procedure for getting sub-par personal transport in Chiang Mai. Spending time waving off seven drivers to save 20 baht before you get underway to where you want to go?  Little wonder that Uber is doing so well now. As you said "don't waste time trying to haggle with them".