First the pier - now soldiers intend to clear up Beach Road in Pattaya

rooster59

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will only happen while the Army is in sight patrolling.

How long will that last?

Long enough for a photo op that's for sure.

Tearing up a slipway is one thing.  Sticking around to do "legwork" is quite another.

1 minute ago, darren84310 said:

What about ensuring that bike rental companies supply a decent helmet otherwise they are fined and the police don't fine tourists for not having a Thai motorbike license.

I'd rather they fine the outfits that rent bikes to tourists who don't have a valid scooter license, and consequently, no insurance and insufficient skills to protect me from them.

2 hours ago, smedly said:

One of the innovations the army are demanding is that bike rental companies repaint all their bikes blue for easy identification.

oh dear

perhaps a better idea would be to have them fit a coloured number plate perhaps even blue 

there you go, thinking again

2 hours ago, smedly said:

One of the innovations the army are demanding is that bike rental companies repaint all their bikes blue for easy identification.

oh dear

perhaps a better idea would be to have them fit a coloured number plate perhaps even blue 

I can swap a bike plate in about 35 seconds and I'm an amateur.

13 hours ago, mcfish said:

And not only will they have to repaint they will be forced to move to off the the road parking to specific areas. I don't get it what's the downside?

If they could rid sukhumvit of the 1000s of stalls squatting there and samet and cosy beach and Bali hi then why would you think this ain't gonna happen?

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

I don't think he means there's a downside, he's probably saying that it's a good idea but in view of the numerous big ideas that haven't been implemented in the past, he'll be surprised if this one is any different. Of course if you're a fanboy, you'll have complete faith in whatever they say.

12 hours ago, Banana7 said:

They should also declare a 1.5 meter wide unobstructed flat sidewalk on the east side of beach road (shop side). Anything found on the sidewalk is public property, that is subject to confiscation, to be sold at public auction proceeds to the army or city for public infrastructure repairs etc..

Once the cleanup is done it would be great if the sidewalks on the shop side were repaired and widened where needed.  Some stretches are very narrow and you have to walk single file.

14 hours ago, mcfish said:

Don't be silly they would paint them all in 3 days if they have to and for cheaper than the 20k they charge tourists for a scratch bwaahahaha!

Does painting them blue make you see red. I think the next great move would be tourist chips under the skin 

3 hours ago, impulse said:

Agreed.

And on other threads, we have dozens of posters demanding that the military give control back to the kleptocrats who created, nurture and exploit the abuses the army's knocking off the list, one by one.

Edit:  A family joke back home when I was growing up was the threat to send us kids to military school if we mis-behaved.  Maybe the folks had the right idea...

"And on other threads, we have dozens of posters demanding that the military give control back to the kleptocrats who created, nurture and exploit the abuses the army's knocking off the list, one by one."

No, on other threads people are in favour of the people having the right to vote for who they want to run the country, whichever party that might be.

1 minute ago, Kabula said:

The Army to do Police work?

That will probably elminate more mom and pop businesses.

Repaint bikes - doesn't that void applicable  manufacter's warranties?

Ah yes, Thailand... the hub of worthless warranties.

13 hours ago, Banana7 said:

This is absolutely wonderful news! Baht buses confined to one lane, limited rental bikes, fantastic! After beach road, I hope they get rid of all of rental bikes on soi's between beach road and 2nd road, especially around soi 7, 8, 13, 13/1, 13/2, 13/3. A good limit to rental bikes would be 5 bikes per block, anymore would confiscated and sold at auction, proceeds to the army or city hall - for repair of sidewalks and enlarging sewers.

Got to love the army!

"Got to love the army!"

Otherwise you could be dragged off for AA.

Just now, jesimps said:

No, on other threads people are in favour of the people having the right to vote for who they want to run the country, whichever party that might be.

They don't get to vote for who they want to run the country.  They get to vote for the stooges that front for the people who always run the country.  And it doesn't matter who they elect.  They can vote someone out and nothing changes except the public face of the elite.

Thailand is run under the "Silver or Lead" incentive program.  Do what the elite want and they'll reward you with silver.  Don't, and you'll get a dose of lead.

People from the USA or the UK or Germany don't understand that like people from Russia or Mexico would.   Our politicians operate on the "silver or go pound sand" incentive program.  We don't lose senators, mayors, and other officials to cartels and oligarch hit men, so we don't have a clue.  Talk to a Russkie or a Mexican if you want to know how that works.

You know what's great about a military?  They can deal with the lead threat.  That's why they can clean up decades of corruption in a few years.  Will they?  We don't know yet.  But they represent the only hope that someone can, even if it's a slim hope.

13 hours ago, mcfish said:

Aaaand the Baht buses will be forced into a special lane instead of the empty ones hitting 80kph across all 3 lanes. It's deadly on beach road... This is like a dream

It would be equally commendable if they turn the pedestrian crossing lights back on and make the vehicles stop to let pedestrians cross.

1 hour ago, darren84310 said:

What about ensuring that bike rental companies supply a decent helmet otherwise they are fined and the police don't fine tourists for not having a Thai motorbike license.

The police don't fine tourists for not having a THAI m'bike licence. they fine them for not having any sort of m'bike driving licence. The requirement is that one must have a m'bike licence from one's own country and an international driving licence .

No doubt there are some that have been ripped off by certain persons, but it is legal to drive without a Thai licence as no rental company like Budget or Hertz would rent to tourists if that was not so.

Tourists that ride m'bikes without a licence  are stupid, as it would invalidate any travel insurance to do so.

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It would be equally commendable if they turn the pedestrian crossing lights back on and make the vehicles stop to let pedestrians cross.

The only way the pedestrian crossings will work in LOS is when they install remote vehicle ignition killers about 100 m before each crossing. When someone presses the button to cross, all incoming engines die. Come to think of it, they should install these at traffic lights with the engine killer kicking in when the lights go amber.

Dreaming? Well you started it with "... make the vehicles stop to let pedestrians cross."

I don't think he means there's a downside, he's probably saying that it's a good idea but in view of the numerous big ideas that haven't been implemented in the past, he'll be surprised if this one is any different. Of course if you're a fanboy, you'll have complete faith in whatever they say.

Well why don't you go down to Bali hi pier or lower sukhumvit Bangkok and take a look? Cops on every corner all day and night so what you think is wrong

Yes the army are doing good things and after 12 years living on lower sukhumvit I can finally use the foot path

But if you're a thaksin fanboy you will have no faith in the army

Just now, mcfish said:

Well why don't you go down to Bali hi pier or lower sukhumvit Bangkok and take a look? Cops on every corner all day and night so what you think is wrong

Yes the army are doing good things and after 12 years living on lower sukhumvit I can finally use the foot path

But if you're a thaksin fanboy you will have no faith in the army

Sorry, what's a 'thaksin'?

8 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

The only way the pedestrian crossings will work in LOS is when they install remote vehicle ignition killers about 100 m before each crossing. When someone presses the button to cross, all incoming engines die. Come to think of it, they should install these at traffic lights with the engine killer kicking in when the lights go amber.

Dreaming? Well you started it with "... make the vehicles stop to let pedestrians cross."

Hmmmm. The cars did stop when they installed the light years ago, as I remember using them then.

If they fined people for running the lights the cops would be onto it in a flash. Be a huge money spinner.

They could always try the Saudi solution. When Riyadh first installed traffic lights no one stopped, so the cops threw stones at cars that didn't. Seemed to work. Everyone stops at red lights now.

Just came up with the answer. Install those big spikes in the road and time them to move up into the cars path about 5 seconds after the light goes orange. Enough ruined tyres and everyone would soon stop everytime. Job done.

Edited by thaibeachlovers