Mistake or unknown Thai sales tactic?

dingdongrb

Picked-up a 900g bag of the Hahne swiss style muesli at the satellite Rimping in Mae Hia, the price was sharply discounted to around 40%-off, checked the expiration date,examined it with eyes and nose..... the young girl at the check out counter gave me a confused look as she studied the bag of muesli,a 2nd girl went for what I thought would be an obvious "price-check", instead returned with another 900g bag and said "2 for 1"....I thought,hey now that's the deal of the day...2+2=5 is sometimes O.K !

My Thai wife would say "Don't ask why!" (translation - there is no logical explanation so don't bother looking for one). Meanwhile, if you're looking for a real bargain then try Big C......

1975042_10153322410258420_7825031815697367480_n.jpg.540ff1a0910c4592ecd57ebc41e45138.jpg

"Don't ask why or question" ... yep, lets avoid the fundamentals of education / advancement / improvement. And herein lies one of the pillers of Thainess.

Of course I'm all for that state of affairs if it benefits us [emoji38]

10 hours ago, Fookhaht said:

Bulk sales are never a guarantee of better pricing than single units in Thailand. I've noticed this for over a decade.

Do the math before you grab the multi-pak!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Have seen something similar in Tesco in the UK pack of 4 tins of soup supposed to be a bulk buy discount but cheaper if you buy 4 individual tins and that is just an example, other similar tricks used by all supermarkets, you need to use your brain when you are shopping at any supermarket

On 12/4/2016 at 11:45 AM, Ulysses G. said:

Indeed. Trump was flawed, but Hillary was something far worse. Common sense prevailed.

2 hours ago, surangw said:

thai logic,  you have to go to the store less when you buy the larger size, saving your time and gas ?

We, farangs, have all the time in the world (well most of us, some are to busy in the bars) and the petrol/diesel/gas, weekly, monthly shopping not an issue.

Also so many now deliver for free, just shop by internet.

On 12/6/2016 at 9:02 AM, mesquite said:

I noticed a while back at 7-11 you can buy a 3-pack of oreo cookies for 5 thb.  You can also buy a "cylinder" of oreo cookies for 15thb and in that package there are 8 cookies.

Thanks for the tip, I owe you a cookie (wait that would cancel my savings - never mind)

22 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

The other thing to watch out for is out of date products.  Just recently i have encountered them three times in Supermarkets.   In one instance i showed a staff member and he just laughed and walked away, so i went to the service counter...blank looks !

Not everywhere, recently I saw out of date canned tomatoes, original price 90 bht/can, not only did they sell them to me for 25 bht/can after checking with the manager BUT the sales person pointed out to me that they were past the expiration date!!

22 hours ago, Lizard2010 said:

I checked the price of the large packet of Cornflakes at Rimping Riverside a while ago

They had the Bulk one at a dearer price

You would have thought the Bulk would be cheap

Obvious Not  Can not understand their pricing

The bulk pack has 1.2 Kg whereas 2 x  500g large packet has 1.0 Kg.

Just as an added note...Last month we bought a 1.2 Kg bulk pack of Kellogg's Corn Flakes from Makro and got a 500g Large Pack FREE.

Edited by rawhod

Keep in mind that the OP's was asking about pricing at Makro, where many of the Thai customers are buying for village stores.  I would surmise that the smaller size bottles of dish washing liquid are more popular for that market than the bigger size -- thus the higher price. That size is considered the "retail size", while the larger size is intended for restaurants. As is pointed out, no matter where you are in the world, there is money to be saved if you pay attention and plan ahead when you shop at supermarkets.

In many large chain stores, buying the larger quantity of dish detergent or spray starch in a plastic dispenser bottle is cheaper than buying the plastic-bag refills.

This runs antithetical to reducing waste. It's illogical related to money savings for the consumer. At worst it's deceptive marketing.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 06/12/2016 at 7:25 AM, watcharacters said:

buyer beware.

Hopefully some day in the future stores will use "unit pricing".

If you look at the bottom of the label is says 21.50 and that is unit pricing!

On 12/6/2016 at 8:24 AM, dingdongrb said:

No, check it out, it's pretty common through the industry when dealing with some of the more mid-sized and larger establishments. 

Good for you if you like to do each and every individual  conversion.   That   obviouslyclearly is what you prefer.

I'd  like that the merchant  make that simple calculation for the benefit  of all customers/cumsumers      That gives clear pricing to the each consumer.   Is that hoping for too much?

YOU win... It will never happen

On 12/6/2016 at 8:40 AM, jimmym40 said:

Is it possible that the labels were somehow switched.    Meaning the price labelling is wrong.

This is when one needs to check the receipt.  Sometimes do they not charge the listed price.  

On 12/10/2016 at 0:13 PM, watcharacters said:

Good for you if you like to do each and every individual  conversion.   That   obviouslyclearly is what you prefer.

I'd  like that the merchant  make that simple calculation for the benefit  of all customers/cumsumers      That gives clear pricing to the each consumer.   Is that hoping for too much?

YOU win... It will never happen

What are you talking about exactly? I didn't do any conversion. The price is all on the label... The price for the entire unit (in this case the 6 pack of the product), the price for each individual unit (in this case each bottle), and the price per each volume of the product (in this case per ML)...... So please tell me what conversion it is you think I did....... I merely just read the label information.

I can't find the video, but someone posted a video of a bag of bananas in a UK supermarket that had a big label on it saying £1.

When he weighed it on their self service jobby, the actual price for unpackaged bananas was something like 38 pence.

So I'd call it "marketing".

On 12/12/2016 at 11:42 AM, dingdongrb said:

What are you talking about exactly? I didn't do any conversion. The price is all on the label... The price for the entire unit (in this case the 6 pack of the product), the price for each individual unit (in this case each bottle), and the price per each volume of the product (in this case per ML)...... So please tell me what conversion it is you think I did....... I merely just read the label information.

You're right, dingdongrb   I have no idea what I was thinking  or if I was even thinking at all.    I owe you an apologysorry.gif            I guess I just reacted to general frustration.   

The unit pricing  with which I suspect you're familiar is the standard

unit.jpg

I'm all in favor of whatever offers the consumer a fair shake.    So often it's the other way around no matter where we are.

I won't hold my breath waiting for unit pricing in Thailand  but who knows?    Maybe some day.

On 12/7/2016 at 4:02 AM, BrainLife said:

We, farangs, have all the time in the world (well most of us, some are to busy in the bars) and the petrol/diesel/gas, weekly, monthly shopping not an issue.

Also so many now deliver for free, just shop by internet.

Are you talking about  delivery services solely within Bangkok?   

On 12/18/2016 at 1:45 PM, watcharacters said:

I won't hold my breath waiting for unit pricing in Thailand  but who knows?    Maybe some day.

No apology needed.

There is unit pricing in Thailand. I pointed that out in the sixth post in this thread.

Here's the pic I posted there showing unit price per milliliter....

PIC.jpg

18 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

No apology needed.

There is unit pricing in Thailand. I pointed that out in the sixth post in this thread.

Here's the pic I posted there showing unit price per milliliter....

PIC.jpg

That's a step in the right direction. (Makro?)       However does your example above show the unit pricing for the promotion price?      Universal and complete unit pricing is the cat's meow.

6 hours ago, watcharacters said:

However does your example above show the unit pricing for the promotion price?  

What are you referring to as being a 'promotion price'? There was no promotion mentioned in my original post. I was merely showing the prices between different sized bottles of the same detergent...  I really think some in depth reading needs to be done before replying again....