Latest photos from construction of new Pattaya underpass

Jonathan Fairfield

I believe that once it opens work starts on the underpass at Pattaya Tai with the junction of Sukhumvit and the third underpass at the junction of Thepprasit road and Sukhumvit road. They need to get it finished before the new link from the Bangkok 7 road breaks through opposite Ocean marina. That's all part of the Rayong link up for the airport expansion

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

I believe that once it opens work starts on the underpass at Pattaya Tai with the junction of Sukhumvit and the third underpass at the junction of Thepprasit road and Sukhumvit road. They need to get it finished before the new link from the Bangkok 7 road breaks through opposite Ocean marina. That's all part of the Rayong link up for the airport expansion

So we still have years of chaos to endure.

On Friday, February 17, 2017 at 6:33 PM, Lovethailandelite said:

I thought Pattaya Nua was getting an underpass?

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 0:13 PM, craigt3365 said:

I lived in Vegas for most of my life.  One of the fastest growing cities in the world for many years.  Construction was constant.  New roads, highways, bypasses, etc.  Traffic is still tough, but nothing like it would have been had they not been proactive.  Something that's missing here.  Being proactive.  And Vegas has Zero mass transit, other than buses which not a lot use.  So it can be done.  If proper planning is performed! LOL

Various cultures are certainly different. (I have worked/lived in Thailand 12 years.) In Thailand "culture",  it is not common in their thinking pattern to be "pro-active". You wait until it happens, then take action. (or ignore it and hope it goes away) Maintenance is not top of the agenda either. Build new, and wait until the building falls apart...tear down, and build new again. 

Maybe this has to do with their Siam ancestors in the tropics that could sit back and find food and find natural materials for shelter at all times since there were no severe winters coming; whereas, in the temperate regions, you would have to follow more of a seasonal schedule, spring to fall  before winter arrived. --For example, be sure planting season was done in the spring, harvest in the fall; shelter built or repaired before winter and firewood gathered during the summer and fall. In temperate regions you had to be more "pro-active" or starve/ freeze when winter arrived. Compare this efficiency: Germans vs. Thais

Note: This is not to be a slam, just the difference between societies in different parts of the world.

Edited by toenail
spelling

20 hours ago, Seizetheday said:

I thought Pattaya Nua was getting an underpass?

19 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Quite possibly. I was only told about the 2 I mentioned by a neighbour who is working on the underpass now doing the electrics on the overhead signs and cabling in the tunnel. He seems to think he has years of work ahead of him.

8 hours ago, johng said:

I heard underpasses for south,center and north pattaya junctions...if they take 3 years each then he has at least another 6 years work.

I may be wrong but in the original stories I only remember 3 being mentioned - Klang, Tai and Thrappassit?

I may be wrong but in the original stories I only remember 3 being mentioned - Klang, Tai and Thrappassit?

Yes, me too. Never heard about any planned work for Nua, otherwise you'd think they'd have tackled that one first.

Northbound side at least now has 3 lanes most of the way.  Southbound is an absolute mess.  They could lay tarmac in a few days and open up 3 lanes on the south side.  We went by yesterday 2 times.  Nary a worker in sight.

Yes, noted on the couple of times driving past that there doesn't seem to be much work going on!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2017 at 6:56 AM, craigt3365 said:

Northbound side at least now has 3 lanes most of the way.  Southbound is an absolute mess.  They could lay tarmac in a few days and open up 3 lanes on the south side.  We went by yesterday 2 times.  Nary a worker in sight.

Southbound, like northbound, now has an (almost) completely resurfaced outer, 'fast' lane (nearest the tunnel) so that has made for a faster transit past SSCC, Klang/Noenplubwan and Boonsampan.

...well at least it did this morning!

Sophon Cable TV   reports that  the tunnel is 92% finished with mainly just cosmetic work left to do

but the opening is being delayed by 6-8 months so that they can build a (pedestrian) overpass !!

On 12/11/2016 at 6:06 AM, craigt3365 said:

It's on a hill. If you stand on the East side of Suk and look North, South or West, it's downhill.  Unless they put a dip in the middle with no drains, I can't imagine how it will flood.  Though TiT.  Anything can, and does, happen! LOL

The tunnel is indeed on a hill, and i have never seen floods in that area as long as i live here, but how about the next planned tunnel for the Pattaya Tai junction.

16996355_1757493951235563_55707685291527

3 minutes ago, Allstars said:

The tunnel is indeed on a hill, and i have never seen floods in that area as long as i live here, but how about the next planned tunnel for the Pattaya Tai junction.

Let's hope the new administration here won't start these projects.  We'll see.  Not sure I can stand another 3 years of construction mess on Suk!

9 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

It has to be done in time for the new Link to break through at Ocean Marina.

But won't that bypass take a lot of traffic away from Pattaya?  If headed to South Pattaya, you could get off there and head north, taking Jomtien 2nd Beach Road.

Ugh...more traffic in front of my house.

4 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

But won't that bypass take a lot of traffic away from Pattaya?  If headed to South Pattaya, you could get off there and head north, taking Jomtien 2nd Beach Road.

Ugh...more traffic in front of my house.

Yes it will and also get the traffic off of the Sukhumvit at Ban Amphur. With the expansion of the Ranong Industrial area and the major upgrade at U-Tapao airport to bring a lot of the flights in rather than going in to Bangkok, if it isn't done the area will only get worse and worse traffic wise.

1 hour ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Yes it will and also get the traffic off of the Sukhumvit at Ban Amphur. With the expansion of the Ranong Industrial area and the major upgrade at U-Tapao airport to bring a lot of the flights in rather than going in to Bangkok, if it isn't done the area will only get worse and worse traffic wise.

I don't think we will see a Pattaya Tai or Thepprasit underpass. With the upgrades on 36, 331 and extensions of Highway 7 (or whatever they will number the bit that will join Sukhumvit south of ban Amphur,) the need for another couple of short 4-lane tunnels will be mostly removed. Yes, it will still get clogged but with purely local traffic, especially on holiday weekends. However, those passing through and normally headed for Ban Saray, Silverlake, Sattahip and other points south and southeast will already have their inland fast-track.

Will the Pattaya Tai and Thepprasit excavation be one long tunnel, or two separate ones?  Those two intersections are not that far apart.

If it's two separate tunnels, how will the intersection with Khao Talo co-exist with the Thepprasit tunnel?

6 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I don't think we will see a Pattaya Tai or Thepprasit underpass. With the upgrades on 36, 331 and extensions of Highway 7 (or whatever they will number the bit that will join Sukhumvit south of ban Amphur,) the need for another couple of short 4-lane tunnels will be mostly removed. Yes, it will still get clogged but with purely local traffic, especially on holiday weekends. However, those passing through and normally headed for Ban Saray, Silverlake, Sattahip and other points south and southeast will already have their inland fast-track.

You may well be right. Who knows what's next here? :smile:

6 hours ago, wpcoe said:

Will the Pattaya Tai and Thepprasit excavation be one long tunnel, or two separate ones?  Those two intersections are not that far apart.

It won't happen.

6 hours ago, wpcoe said:

If it's two separate tunnels, how will the intersection with Khao Talo co-exist with the Thepprasit tunnel?

But if you insist, maybe review, 'How will SSCC/Noenplubwan/Boonsampan co-exist with the Pattaya Klang tunnel?'

Drove past this morning and it looks like the works have been abandoned. From experience, this indicates that someone in the supply chain is not or has not been paying the Contractor / Sub-contractors.

Please don't tell us that funds are not available for the Contractor / Sub-contractors to finish the job!

2 hours ago, Oink said:

Drove past this morning and it looks like the works have been abandoned. From experience, this indicates that someone in the supply chain is not or has not been paying the Contractor / Sub-contractors.

Please don't tell us that funds are not available for the Contractor / Sub-contractors to finish the job!

Abandoned?  How come I was stuck in huge traffic jams this morning due to them resurfacing the road?

On 3/1/2017 at 10:13 AM, johng said:

Sophon Cable TV   reports that  the tunnel is 92% finished with mainly just cosmetic work left to do

but the opening is being delayed by 6-8 months so that they can build a (pedestrian) overpass !!

That would be par for the course.

Thai teens with their modified noisy exhaust pipe scooters are gonna love zooming through there..

Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaappppppppppp ! 

Almost makes me want to go buy a 150 two-stroke  :shock1:

5 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

So just where exactly is the water that flows into the tunnel or that is diverted around the tunnel going to go?  I bet it won't be long before some serious ground subsidence happens as water seeps down

Same places that water goes to now; bottom of the hill on either side.