Best entry route for 4 month stay - one month non O extension?

I am living with my Thai wife and elderly father here in UK and the three of us are planning to move to live together in Thailand long term. I feel it would be sensible to check that my father can make the transition so would like to do a trial 4-5 month stay next year before committing. My father can get a 90 day non O based on state pension but I don't yet qualify for a state pension yet, so I plan to get a 90 day non O for myself based on marriage. My understanding is that I can simply post our application forms / fees / passports to the Thai Embassy in London along with proof of pension for my father and my UK marriage certificate to get the non O visas and that no financial proof will be required.

The problem is that 3 months is not quite long enough so my question is what is the best way to get an extra one or two months? Am I correct in saying that If we get a multiple entry non O my understanding we will have to exit and re-enter in the 60-90 day period to get another 3 months? Can we fly to say KL and simply fly back on same day to get the next 90 day stamp? It would be a bit arduous for my father to have to make another international trip - is it possible to do a short extension to a non O at the local immigration office (Phuket) without having to submit the full range of docs and proofs required for a full 12 month extension? Would be very grateful for any views on these options or advice on any other routes we could consider.

• You could get a single entry non-immigrant visa 'O' and towards the end of 90 days apply for a 60 day extension of stay to visit your wife. It costs 1,900 baht.
  • Or at the end of 90 days you could do a border hop (not all crossings) and get a 30 days visa exempt entry, which could be extended by a further 30 days at immigration for 1,900 baht.

• If your father buys a single entry non-immigrant visa 'O' he has no options to extend other than a 1 year extension. He would need a certified income of 65K baht pm, or deposit 800K in a Thai account for 60 days before applying.
  • At the end of 90 days he could do a border hop (not all crossings) and get a 30 days visa exempt entry, which could be extended by a further 30 days at immigration for 1,900 baht.

If either of you get a multiple entry non-immigrant 'O' visa you can exit and immediately re-enter by air or at most land crossings, and would receive a new 90 day permit to stay.

• Like 2

As stated above, you would get the single entry non O and apply for an extension based upon marriage.

Your father, initially can get a multi entry non O, based on retirement, just by showing proof that her receives a state pension.  He would need to do a border run before the 90 day point and would get a fresh 90 day upon re entering Thailand.  This would allow almost 450 days of stay if the last border run is done on the day before the visa end date.  Before the last 90 day entry expires he would then need to use the visa extension route, based upon retirement, which, as stated before, would require him to have a monthly income of ฿65,000, or a matured bank deposit of ฿800,000, or a mix of both.

Good luck with the move.

• Like 1

Thanks elviajero and oishii for your advice on this. So a 60 day extension is only available on my non O based on marriage, and not available to my father on his non O based on state pension, and a 30 day extension at local immigration is not available on either. 

The options for my father are to either get a single entry and do a visa hop for an extra 30 days (and extend for another 30 days at local immigration) or to get a multiple entry and do a visa hop for another 90 day stamp. Going through the 12 month extension application for just a short extension is too complicated, so it seems that we are going to have to accept a trip over the border for my father. As I will have to accompany him, I might as well use the same route, rather than doing a 60 day extension based on my marriage, and if we are going to have to do the trip anyway, we might as well get the 90 days on a multiple entry non O.

Can you confirm that the requirements for a multiple entry non O and single entry non O are the same ie submit marriage certificate for me and proof of state pension for my father with no financial proof? 

It would be useful to plan the best visa hop route for us to take given my father's age and condition. Can you please advise on the best visa hop alternative to an international flight if we are based in Phuket?

Regarding the 60 day extension option for my future ref, my wife and I were married in the UK and it is not registered in Thailand, so I only have a UK marriage certificate. Would this be acceptable and if so will I have to have it translated and / or legalised?

• Yes, 30 day extensions are only available for extending entries for tourism so your father will not qualify with a non-immigrant entry.
  • Yes, the requirements for single or multiple are the same. As you will be doing a border hop regardless, there's not much value in paying extra for multiple entry visas. However, if you plan to visit again within 1 year of the visas issue date it might be worth considering.
  • Your UK marriage certificate is all you need to get the visa, but it would need to be translated/legalized and the marriage registered in Thailand if you want to apply for an extension of stay.
  • Like 1

If your father pops out of the country before the end date of the visa in his passport, he will get another year on his return. But he will have to do 90 day reports while living here. He might be able to do it online in Phuket, though I haven't tried it myself....yet. Mainly because the report at Immigration here usually only takes around ten minutes. I usually go around 2pm when things are quietening down...they are closed for lunch from noon to 1pm. Where do you plan on living on Phuket? 

22 minutes ago, Mansell said:

If your father pops out of the country before the end date of the visa in his passport, he will get another year on his return. But he will have to do 90 day reports while living here. He might be able to do it online in Phuket, though I haven't tried it myself....yet. Mainly because the report at Immigration here usually only takes around ten minutes. I usually go around 2pm when things are quietening down...they are closed for lunch from noon to 1pm. Where do you plan on living on Phuket? 

I see no mention of him getting a OA visa that allows a one year entry. Only a single entry non-o has been mentioned that only allows a 90 day entry.

• Like 1

May I use this thread to ask for me some questions.I am staying on a Single non-o- 90 days Visa and want to extend it for another 2 month.Can I do a border run to Aranya/Poipet to get a 30 days Tourist and extend it for further  30 days at immigration here Khorat at THB 1,900?

It must be sure otherwise I have to rebook  my flight asap.

Suggestion highly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, tom69 said:

May I use this thread to ask for me some questions.I am staying on a Single non-o- 90 days Visa and want to extend it for another 2 month.Can I do a border run to Aranya/Poipet to get a 30 days Tourist and extend it for further  30 days at immigration here Khorat at THB 1,900?

It must be sure otherwise I have to rebook  my flight asap.

Suggestion highly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

If you married to a Thai or the parent of a Thai you can apply for a 60 day extension to visit them.

If you are not from a G7 country you would only get a 15 day visa exempt entry instead of 30 days. You could get a 30 day extension for either entry at an immigration office,

If in Korat the Chong Chom crossing in Surin to Cambodia is closer and much more friendly than Poi Pet.

@ steve 187

@ ubonjoe

many thanks for your quick answers, if Germany belongs to G7 countries, am I right to get a 30 days Tourist Visa after re-entry 

into Thailand and the possibilty to extend it for further 30 days at immigrations Inland for 1,900 THB?

Thanks.Didn't understand. ..........for either entry....what it means. ..yes or no? Sorry

6 minutes ago, tom69 said:

@ steve 187

@ ubonjoe

many thanks for your quick answers, if Germany belongs to G7 countries, am I right to get a 30 days Tourist Visa after re-entry 

into Thailand and the possibilty to extend it for further 30 days at immigrations Inland for 1,900 THB?

Thanks.Didn't understand. ..........for either entry....what it means. ..yes or no? Sorry

You will get a 30 day visa exempt (it is not a tourist visa) entry at a border crossing that can be extended at a immigration office for 30 days for a fee of 1900 baht.

If you are in Korat your best choice is the Chong Chom crossing I mentioned before.

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I see no mention of him getting a OA visa that allows a one year entry. Only a single entry non-o has been mentioned that only allows a 90 day entry.

Thanks ubonjoe you are correct as always! We are only looking for a 4-5 month stay so it is not worth going through the complex process required for an OA application at this stage - clearly better to get a SE non O and extend that or a ME non O for this purpose.

22 hours ago, elviajero said:
  • Yes, 30 day extensions are only available for extending entries for tourism so your father will not qualify with a non-immigrant entry.
  • Yes, the requirements for single or multiple are the same. As you will be doing a border hop regardless, there's not much value in paying extra for multiple entry visas. However, if you plan to visit again within 1 year of the visas issue date it might be worth considering.
  • Your UK marriage certificate is all you need to get the visa, but it would need to be translated/legalized and the marriage registered in Thailand if you want to apply for an extension of stay.

Thanks elvajero for clarifying that the 60 day extension of a non O based on marriage is only available if the marriage is registered in Thailand, so it is not an option for those of us who have only married in the UK unless we are willing to go through the legalisation process here in the UK and then to spend a lot of the first 3 months of the stay going through the registration process. Seems odd that a UK marriage certificate is acceptable to the Thai Embassy in London to get the non O but it can't be used to extend it. 

Not sure that I agree that the extra cost of a multiple entry non O is not worth it. An ME is £125 and SE is £50. With an SE I will have to pay an extra £45 for the one month extension on the 30 day visa exempt entry plus taxi fares to and from the immigration centre with my father. I feel that in my case the extra £10 or so additional cost is worth it to avoid the hassle.

Thanks for pointing out that a multiple non O would be useful if we want to re enter again within 12 months, but if all goes well on this visit our next entry will be on an OA to avoid having to interface with immigration for a couple of years. The other advantage to us of a multiple non O for this first trip though is that we wont have the pressure of two 30 day deadlines hanging over us after the first re entry, so all things considered I think the multiple entry non is the best way to go for a 4-5 month stay. Unless you have a Thai marriage registered in Thailand.

Thanks a lot to everyone for your comments.

Edited by virgomjh
correction

9 hours ago, virgomjh said:

Thanks elvajero for clarifying that the 60 day extension of a non O based on marriage is only available if the marriage is registered in Thailand,

You marriage does not need to be registered here to apply for the 60 day extension. You can apply for one using your UK marriage certificate.

If you wanted to apply for a one year extension it would be needed to obtain a Kor Ror 22 required by immigration.

• Like 2

On 07/12/2016 at 9:31 AM, elviajero said:

I get 60 day extensions regularly o a canadian marriage licennse with nno registration in thailad

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You marriage does not need to be registered here to apply for the 60 day extension. You can apply for one using your UK marriage certificate.

If you wanted to apply for a one year extension it would be needed to obtain a Kor Ror 22 required by immigration.

10 hours ago, AYJAYDEE said:

I get 60 day extensions regularly o a canadian marriage licennse with nno registration in thailad

Thanks for correcting this - does the marriage certificate need to be translated into Thai or legalised in the home country to use it for a 60 day extension of a non O based on marriage, or can it just be submitted in its original form? Is any other documentation required to support the application?

As the 60 day extension option is not available to my father on his non O based on state pension and I will have to accompany him on his visa hop, I will use the same route as him on this occasion ie multiple entry non O to get the 90 days on re entry, but I would be grateful for the clarification for future.

On 12/9/2016 at 9:25 PM, virgomjh said:

Thanks for correcting this - does the marriage certificate need to be translated into Thai or legalised in the home country to use it for a 60 day extension of a non O based on marriage, or can it just be submitted in its original form? Is any other documentation required to support the application?

As the 60 day extension option is not available to my father on his non O based on state pension and I will have to accompany him on his visa hop, I will use the same route as him on this occasion ie multiple entry non O to get the 90 days on re entry, but I would be grateful for the clarification for future.

If marriage certificate is in English it doe not have to be translated toThai to apply for a 60 day extension or a non-o visa at an embassy or consulate.

You will also need copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card.

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:25 AM, Evilbaz said:

Virgomjh - wheelchair service is available on airlines here and everywhere.

This may make your father's journeys more comfortable.

Very kind of you to think about this - thanks for the tip. I have looked into it and I will definitely be making the necessary arrangements.

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 1:06 AM, ubonjoe said:

If marriage certificate is in English it doe not have to be translated toThai to apply for a 60 day extension for a non-o visa at an embassy or consulate.

You will also need copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card.

I thought that I would be applying for the 60 day extension to the non O at the local immigration office in Phuket ie not at an embassy or consulate. Are you saying that a local office will need a translation and / or legalisation of the marriage certificate if it is presented there? Have I misunderstood something?

23 minutes ago, virgomjh said:

I thought that I would be applying for the 60 day extension to the non O at the local immigration office in Phuket ie not at an embassy or consulate. Are you saying that a local office will need a translation and / or legalisation of the marriage certificate if it is presented there? Have I misunderstood something?

• You don't need a translation etc. to get a visa from an embassy/consulate.
  • You might need a translation etc. when applying for a 60 day extension from an immigration office. It depends on the policy at the office you apply at. I don't know what Phuket require.

If I were you I would get the marrigae certificate translated while you're in the UK. There are plenty of online services. Once translated you can have the translation certified by the Thai Embassy in London. When you get to Thialand you can easily get the marriage registered at your local Amphoe (district office). If you're planning to live in Thailand you're, almost certainly, going to need to register the marriage so IMO you might as well do it sooner than later.

9 hours ago, virgomjh said:

If should of been or not for. Corrected my typo.

A translation at an immigration office or a embassy or consulate is not requiered. To register your marriage at an Amphoe it would need to be translated.