How do they get the cranes off the finished skyscrapers

retoohs

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have built many skyscrapers in the past, I know how it is. When construction is done, we simply remove the backslider holding the steel scanners on the top. That way the diamond encrusted hexagonal gates, which were designed to support extreme weight, won't collapse on the super resonating balance collider, which would immediately result in the evacuation of the second floor. 

Hope that helps

In situations where the Crane is actually on top of the building - not attached to the outside of the construction as in the above Video - I believe that when construction is complete progressively smaller Cranes are hoisted up, the previous Crane is then dismantled and the components lowered to the ground using the new Crane.

Patrick

8 minutes ago, p_brownstone said:

In situations where the Crane is actually on top of the building - not attached to the outside of the construction as in the above Video - I believe that when construction is complete progressively smaller Cranes are hoisted up, the previous Crane is then dismantled and the components lowered to the ground using the new Crane.

Patrick

So how do they get the smaller cranes down?

I think this is probably the answer:

"Basically, the top of the crane has a cage ('climbing frame') that fits over the main part of the tower. The crane can raise itself so that the cage is supporting it, with the main tower below. Then the crane lifts up a new section of the main tower, and this is inserted into the cage. That section becomes the new top of the main tower, the cage raises again to create another gap, and the process is repeated. Here's a good illustration: climbing attachments. Removal of the tower is achieved by doing the opposite".

http://ask.metafilter.com/222886/How-do-they-get-cranes-down-from-the-top-of-skyscrapers-when-theyve-finished-with-them

Edited by chiang mai

They keep using smaller and smaller cranes until the last one which they can pick up and put into their pocket and take back to the yard..  You're familiar with Matryoshka Dolls?

54 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

So how do they get the smaller cranes down?

3 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

I have built many skyscrapers in the past, I know how it is. When construction is done, we simply remove the backslider holding the steel scanners on the top. That way the diamond encrusted hexagonal gates, which were designed to support extreme weight, won't collapse on the super resonating balance collider, which would immediately result in the evacuation of the second floor. 

Hope that helps

The only danger using that system occurs if the giggle pin comes out of the laughing shaft.

3 minutes ago, overherebc said:

The only danger using that system occurs if the giggle pin comes out of the laughing shaft.

A totally absurd post, people who know about these things will tell you that overhead dome valves replaced laughing shafts years ago.

Just now, chiang mai said:

A totally absurd post, people who know about these things will tell you that overhead dome valves replaced laughing shafts years ago.

I'm retired now and have to admit I haven't been keeping up with the advances in that particular field.

Maybe a refresher course would do me some good.

1 hour ago, dbrenn said:

Cranes are made of a bolted together steel lattice . Wouldn't they just take them apart bit by bit? 

Actually the tower cranes are in large prefabricated sections, it's dead clever how they grow by lifting sections into their own tower.

18 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

You are not keeping up with the times. The 2016 health and safety directive mandated that overhead dome valves be replaced by half-round triangular ball joint cam trunnion knockers, kept in alignment by down shaft taper shims. This new rule was due to excessive slippage in the dome valve hexagonal drive dollies.

28 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

A constant theme running through TVF is the amount of posters who write about something they clearly are not au fait with.

If you use an overhead dome valves ( the sheer absurdity of such a suggestion is mind boggling) simple physics will tell you this will have an adverse effect on the crane's counter balance flange inducing grommet causing the structural integrity of the rotary pivot to decline which in turn will cause a complete failure of the prime crankshaft turbine blade.

After many years of research propping up the bar at a Pattaya dump of a bar with 99 baht full English breakfasts and Happy Hour all Leos 50 baht the correct method is to uncoupled the rear ailerons first before turning the main c-section cross member and lowering the entire apparatus by way of a Hodgkin's binary lift or similar.

By the way I'm also an expert in air accident and crime scene investigations if anybody needs a hand.

Edited by mca

4 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

Hope that helps

No help at all.    Pretend you are spaeing to a dummy!

Years ago I worked for WorkCover as a load shifting and pressure plant assessor. My auditor recalled a story where another assessor was examining a student on a self-erecting tower crane and told him to stand aside and watch an expert in action.

The assessor then proceded to tip the crane over.

6 minutes ago, mca said:

A constant theme running through TVF is the amount of posters who write about something they clearly are not au fait with.

If you use an overhead dome valves ( the sheer absurdity of such a suggestion is mind boggling) simple physics will tell you this will have an adverse effect on the crane's counter balance flange inducing grommet causing the structural integrity of the rotary pivot to decline which in turn will cause a complete failure of the prime crankshaft turbine blade.

After many years of research propping up the bar at a Pattaya dump of a bar with 99 baht full English breakfasts and Happy Hour all Leos 50 baht the correct method is to uncoupled the rear ailerons first before turning the main c-section cross member and lowering the entire apparatus by way of a Hodgkin's binary lift or similar.

By the way I'm also an expert in air accident and crime scene investigations if anybody needs a hand.

Are these overhead dome valves a recent innovation or have they been around for a long time. It would appear to me that they are probably used when the giggle pin starts to wear or become too flexible or the laughing shaft gets worn.

Just trying to keep with modern changes can be difficult at my age.

13 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

You are not keeping up with the times. The 2016 health and safety directive mandated that overhead dome valves be replaced by half-round triangular ball joint cam trunnion knockers, kept in alignment by down shaft taper shims. This new rule was due to excessive slippage in the dome valve hexagonal drive dollies.

At last! Somebody who actually knows what they are talking about. Tell me were you involved in the construction of the Wang King Tower 101 in Taipei?

6 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Are these overhead dome valves a recent innovation or have they been around for a long time. It would appear to me that they are probably used when the giggle pin starts to wear or become too flexible or the laughing shaft gets worn.

Just trying to keep with modern changes can be difficult at my age.

I believe they were first used in the construction of the 500,000 capacity Enormodome in Rio for the 2003 Synchronised Felching Games

Edited by mca

I believe in recent years the overhead dome valves have been replaced with rupture discs due to the tendency of the dome to snag on the counter balance sheet which unavoidably has to be used when lowering the thrust gear into the receptacle cylinder.

3 minutes ago, mca said:

I believe they were first used in the construction of the 500,000 capacity Enomodome in Rio for the 2003 Synchronised Felching Games

Strangely enough I was offered a position on that job but turned it down. The company sent an e-mail with some photographs of the equipment to be used.

I can remember being intimidated by the sheer size of some of the flanges being used in that job.

I have handled some flanges in my time, Japanese ones being some of the neatest and well engineered ones, but decided that that project was out of my league.

4 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Strangely enough I was offered a position on that job but turned it down. The company sent an e-mail with some photographs of the equipment to be used.

I can remember being intimidated by the sheer size of some of the flanges being used in that job.

I have handled some flanges in my time, Japanese ones being some of the neatest and well engineered ones, but decided that that project was out of my league.

Flanges are a subject on their own. Especially those misaligned western variety. 

2 hours ago, p_brownstone said:

Patrick

I saw exactly that on the Holiday Inn in Pattaya from my rented condo balcony. A smaller crane with single boom and base rack was installed on the roof to dismantled the big crane.

Then an even smaller boom and winch was installer to lower down the medium crane parts.

I guess the small one was dismantled and lowered by inside means  or using a crane from the ground street. I could not see as it was on the other side of the building.

PS  The other  outside crane when down by itself like in the video seen above.

Edited by cnx355
complete the posting

21 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I was the project manager on that project, and it was a bit difficult to fit the trench trudgeons onto the stadium for the final Felching rounds, but we did it!!

ABC_crane_collapse.jpg

We decided to use Portuguese flanges instead of the recommended Japanese, and this was the result..... 

Edited by AlQaholic

All of the above discussion is a bit academic as far as Europe is concerned as Brussels has just decided that all cranes are to be banned immediately as they are dangerous.  They have set up several committees which will decide over the next few years exactly what will take their place.  Meanwhile, they apologise for any disruption to construction work.