retoohs

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

I was the project manager on that project, and it was a bit difficult to fit the trench trudgeons onto the stadium for the final Felching rounds, but we did it!!

ABC_crane_collapse.jpg

We decided to use Portuguese flanges instead of the recommended Japanese, and this was the result..... 

That result was always going to happen when you look closely at the boom support used for the first section. A good German one may have held up better, but they are expensive.

What started as a genuine question of interest seems to have been mocked, funny but not of any use to the OP. I genuinely am a Project Lead on large construction projects and there are several ways depending on the height of the building and the position of the crane.

EXTERNAL TO THE BUILDING CRANES.

If at a height and location a truck style mobile crane is used. If too high or in a location a mobile crane cannot be used then you will notice there is a hydraulic lifting frame attached to the outside of the main pillar of the crane, this has the ability to lift or lower the crane and insert or extract a pillar section by way of using the actual cranes itself to insert or extract the sections until it is at an accessible height for a smaller mobile crane.

INTERNAL TO THE BUILDING.

On lower buildings where it is planned and is possible to use a mobile crane these are generally built within the lift shafts and removed by the mobile crane. Where buildings are higher they are generally affixed to the shear walls or main structure of the building and the base of the crane is periodically raised within the building to enable progressively smaller cranes to be used to remove the crane at the end. This gets to such a stage where the final smallest crane can actually be disassembled and taken down the goods lift shaft or in the man cages at the side of the buildings (Alimacs).

There are many variations on the above including helicopters in some instances but these are the general ways of doing the removal.

11 minutes ago, ebonykap said:

Way, way too much verbal diarrhoea!

If you don't know anything about flanges, the Ganges and overhead dome valves you shouldn't be posting amongst the experts who do, this is rarefied air territory. :post-4641-1156694572:

9 minutes ago, aussiandrew said:

How do they disassembled the tower cranes very bloody careful that how. 

Some years back we were watching them take the crane off the building next door to the office, far more interesting than working. They had a sheerlegs on the roof to remove the boom before taking down the tower.

Various comments along the lines of "that doesn't look very safe" just before gravity took effect and the whole lot ended up wrapped around the building. Luckily nobody hurt and only superficial damage to the building.

5 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

I have built many skyscrapers in the past, I know how it is. When construction is done, we simply remove the backslider holding the steel scanners on the top. That way the diamond encrusted hexagonal gates, which were designed to support extreme weight, won't collapse on the super resonating balance collider, which would immediately result in the evacuation of the second floor. 

Hope that helps

Now I know why the expression "double dutch" came into existance?

2 hours ago, mca said:

At last! Somebody who actually knows what they are talking about. Tell me were you involved in the construction of the Wang King Tower 101 in Taipei?

Coincidentally, I was involved with that project - but that was long before the introduction of dome valves. Back then, the axial supporting lateral beams were stabilised using a quadruple set of two-way frictionless jacking braces.

1 hour ago, chiang mai said:

If you don't know anything about flanges, the Ganges and overhead dome valves you shouldn't be posting amongst the experts who do, this is rarefied air territory. :post-4641-1156694572:

One of my great engineering challenges involved trying to utilise two slightly mis-matched Singaporean flanges on the same job and try to avert an LTA.

I suppose at that time safety at work didn't seem too important.

Afterwards some friends pointed out the dangers of alcohol in the work place and ignoring the use of required safety equipment.

7 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

I have built many skyscrapers in the past, I know how it is. When construction is done, we simply remove the backslider holding the steel scanners on the top. That way the diamond encrusted hexagonal gates, which were designed to support extreme weight, won't collapse on the super resonating balance collider, which would immediately result in the evacuation of the second floor. 

Hope that helps

Sounds pretty technical to me. I can understand removing backsliders the world is full of them. I would love to own a diamond encrusted hexagonal gate and the g/f always complains about extreme weight. As I age I am a bit of a  collider at times. Darn technical jargon

30 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Coincidentally, I was involved with that project - but that was long before the introduction of dome valves. Back then, the axial supporting lateral beams were stabilised using a quadruple set of two-way frictionless jacking braces.

What a small world, you probably know my best mate, he was on that project, do you know Jack Offa?

10 hours ago, damo said:

Lowering a derrick on an onshore rig is interesting to be part of.

They removed the whole crane in just over a minute? That's a genius method. 

By the way, a huge part fell off at 0:12.

16 hours ago, dbrenn said:

Yes but the pertinent question regarding this method is once you'd stabiized the axial supporting lateral beams how do you avoid the Smithson strut becoming detached from the main load bearing coaxial pivot drive shaft? I'm sure you recall that during the construction of the Vladimir Konstantin Memorial Stadium in Odessa the main contractor used a 10 cm rotating spigot as opposed to a 10.5 cm one and any industrial engineer worth his salt knows what happened there. That's the very reason why the Somalian Health and Safety Executive now dictate that any building being constructed which is taller than 100 metres must use a crane fitted with a counter balancing immobilising  turbine system as opposed to the industry-wide turbine immobilising balancing counter system.

3 hours ago, mca said:

Yes but the pertinent question regarding this method is once you'd stabiized the axial supporting lateral beams how do you avoid the Smithson strut becoming detached from the main load bearing coaxial pivot drive shaft? I'm sure you recall that during the construction of the Vladimir Konstantin Memorial Stadium in Odessa the main contractor used a 10 cm rotating spigot as opposed to a 10.5 cm one and any industrial engineer worth his salt knows what happened there. That's the very reason why the Somalian Health and Safety Executive now dictate that any building being constructed which is taller than 100 metres must use a crane fitted with a counter balancing immobilising  turbine system as opposed to the industry-wide turbine immobilising balancing counter system.

You are right to draw attention to the Smithson strut, as it was considered in engineering circles (at that time) to be a potential cause of inverted fatigue at the ends of its anterior brush extractors. Divided opinion at that time was one of the reasons why dome valves, with all their shortcomings, were introduced. Most people forget, however, that the Smithson strut problem was mitigated by a helical planetary  splined engagement counter rotator shaft. In normal modes of operation (even for buildings exceeding the100 metre limit that you refer to) this inherent feature would balance load across the Smithson strut upper truss. This meant that, in the event of strut failure, residual vector load would be safely transferred to the trivalve servo assembly casing.

Some literature of that time has record of this, and had it been properly studied we'd probably still be using Smithson struts today.

29 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

an interesting post, hi jacked by total idiots, about the norm here i would suspect. oh, and not even a hint of being funny

You don't seem to know very much about mechanical engineering.

On 07/12/2016 at 7:56 AM, akirasan said:

They keep using smaller and smaller cranes until the last one which they can pick up and put into their pocket and take back to the yard..  You're familiar with Matryoshka Dolls?

Nearly. The final crane is designed to fit in the lift that is bolted to the outside of the building.