Khon Kaen abbot to be defrocked after pictures emerge of him "making merit" with a young woman

webfact

Defrocked, really and what's to stop him going elsewhere and starting as a monk again ?

There was a thread recently about a monk in Udon Thani who has been defrocked several times for drunkenness etc and simply goes to another temple where he's happily accepted and is immediately a monk.

Like soo many ' punishments ' here defrocking can amount to nothing it seems.

Something wrong here. Making merit with a consenting woman is defrockable but money laundering millions, theft and illegal land grabbing, having a very adverse effect on many many people gets protection and shelter. ???? What am I missing?

3 hours ago, rkidlad said:

I remember when I first came here and encountered some monks. Some in the temples were okay. Friendly enough. But quite often, the monks I encountered walking around Bangkok came across as arrogant and egotistical. I knew nothing of Buddhism except that monks were supposed to be humble and live with very little. It was quite a shock when waiting for a taxi for 10 mins and some monks just pushed right in front of me and took my taxi. Not even a nod of thanks or sorry. 

I had a foreign friend who told me: "Monks are very important in Thailand. Thai people respect them very much. You must respect them". Well, the problem with any group of people who 'must' be respected is that they may feel they're above the average man. That feeling can breed arrogance and contempt for others. It can even make people feel like superstars who can do no wrong. Evidently, with social media, seems to be more and more of the case. 

"You should respect a man's faith in the same way you would respect his opinion that his wife is very beautiful and his kids are very smart" 

I too assumed they were wonderful ....until they proved otherwise!

I can't help but be amazed when I see the temples here welcoming all kinds of supposedly repentant citizens who have hurt other humans in all kinds of ways, including murder, but if a monk has sex (and is caught on video, of course) then they scream in horror and kick him out.

This kind of paradox is not specifically Thai and it shows how our societies, and our religious institutions in particular, are now officially and totally walking on their heads.

8 hours ago, colinneil said:

Another monk getting his leg over and thinking it is ok because i am a monk.

A  monk is just the same as any other man, he has feelings/ urges for women.

Only thing is monks are supposed to be celibate, and most of them indulge.

Not proper monks then, are they. But then again, Buddhism in Thailand isn't proper Buddhism. 

Becoming a monk does not mean that you are instantly transformed into a saint even though the system demands that you behave as one...kind of a fake it until you make strategy. It takes a long time of practice and study to mature into the wise and enlightened being you have set off on the path to attain. But we know most monks are not there because they have aspired to this. Many if not most are there for the educational and vocational opportunity unavailable to poor families. Some are there for the status, some to hide out for awhile etc etc...So, our expectations need to be adjusted to not being taken in by appearances but by the reality. Most monks are simply not that mature or evolved as they are required to appear. The upside is that they are for the most part in a system that trains them to be... I'm a bit optimistic and have seen this actually work. Most have returned to 'civilian' life more compassionate, more in control their emotions and attitudes etc, etc. My point is simply that we need to judge or criticize on a case by case basis and not  make grandiose assertions... 

10 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

' Making Merit ', well that's a new name for it !

8 hours ago, Brer Fox said:

And "bar fines" will now be referred to more respectfully as "make merit fines". That will be sure to make some feel less guilty about paying them.

Hmmmm....wonder if the old lady would catch on if I start going to 'temple' so I can 'make merit'???  :wai:

3 hours ago, HomeinThailand said:

Hmmmm....wonder if the old lady would catch on if I start going to 'temple' so I can 'make merit'???  :wai:

If you feel inclined to "make merit" with a monk then good luck to you. Everyone to his own.

15 hours ago, godblessemall said:

Actually, a Thai person told me about the 227 rules a monk is supposed to live by. There are four or five heinous acts which class that person as immediately no longer a monk, even if they refuse to disrobe.

1. killing a person, or advising someone else to kill (such as advising a woman to have an abortion.)

2. Any sex (where the male member enters into any orifice, human or animal)

3. stealing

4. causing the monkhood to split and be in discord (causing the demise of faith and Buddhism)

So this abbot is actually not an abbot and hasn't been since he had sex. Wearing civilian clothes is also an offense but not heinous. Every day he had been living as a monk, but not a monk, he is guilty of deception. The huge karma will almost guarantee him a rebirth in hell for a very long time.

He may or may not be reborn in hell, but I think such charlatans are worthy of more earthly punishment in the meantime. If not legal, then at least social ostracism from the faithful...

On 07/12/2016 at 6:40 AM, colinneil said:

Another monk getting his leg over and thinking it is ok because i am a monk.

A  monk is just the same as any other man, he has feelings/ urges for women.

Only thing is monks are supposed to be celibate, and most of them indulge.

Perhaps a little more hypocritical than the average joe?

I mean the monk!!

Edited by jacko45k
Not you colin!