Randomly interrogated by foreigner & Thai officer, is this normal?

Hey! 

Something really odd happened few minutes ago while i was waiting for Thai food at a local street food restaurant here in the business district of Asok Montri Rd.

As i was sitting there i was approached by a foreigner accompanied by a Thai officer & another Thai. The foreigner came over to my table and started the conversation by asking if i eat there before.

First i thought he wanted help like directions but after he asked the first question he directly asked politely to see my ID. At this point i was very confused, and asked the guy why? this seems weird i told him.

All of them could tell i was confused in the moment and the foreigner just said that this kind of checkups was common in this area (i assume for checking visas and find overstay foreigners).
Still confused i handed the civilian dressed Thai my European drivers license (all i had on me).

I told them i live here and have valid a workpermit (not with me at the restaurant however) and answered questions like: where do i live, where do i work, how long have i lived here and they took some photos of my drivers license and then left.

What was extra confusing to me was that the questioning was done by a civilian dressed foreigner and not the Thai / Thai Officer in the background.

The foreigner spoke good English and if i had to guess i would say he looked middle eastern.

Is this common practice? Thanks :)

// EDIT: 
To be clear: the officer was dressed like an officer.
And after they left one of the staff from the restaurant told me they come by sometimes and do random checks like that.

Edited by toelli
  • Like 1

Just now, Lamkyong said:

were they all dressed in civies   and did they show id  ??

Sorry if i was not clear, the Thai officer was dressed like any other officer, but he did no talking.

Sadly i did not ask for ID, was to caught up in the moment of massive confusion hehe.

Just now, ubonjoe said:

The Thai police/immigration do have have some foreign consultants and volunteers working for or with them.

I am have an acquaintance that works as a consultant for the police.

Does he go out on street patrol though ? This is the part that sounds strange to me.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

The Thai police/immigration do have have some foreign consultants and volunteers working for or with them.

I am have an acquaintance that works as a consultant for the police.

Good to know, thanks.

" they took some photos of my drivers license and then left "

in this day and age when identity theft is such a huge problem I probably would have been considerably more guarded towards this trio (without knowing who they where exactly and because of the foreigners dubious appearance)and I certainly wouldn't have volunteered to hand over my ID there and then.

I think I would have insisted that if they wanted to question me they would have to make an appointment for me to attend their office and I should have the right to have my lawyer present.

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 2

So I guess very few of you guys would feel any remorse at all if they were looking for a bomber or a rapist and you wasted their time by not cooperating?

Is it that onerous to pull out some ID so they can do their job? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Asiantravel said:

" they took some photos of my drivers license and then left "

in this day and age when identity theft is such a huge problem I probably would have been considerably more guarded towards this trio (without knowing who they where exactly and because of the foreigners dubious appearance)and I certainly wouldn't have volunteered to hand over my ID there and then.

I think I would have insisted that if they wanted to question me they would have to make an appointment for me to attend their office and I should have the right to have my lawyer present.

In hindsight i agree, i should have questioned it more. Hopefully i don't have to learn by my mistakes this time ;)

If the Thai was dressed in official police uniform, then it's obvious the foreigner was there as a police volunteer just to facilitate communication. IMO asking for ID was not necessary in this case.

Edited by tropo

9 minutes ago, Asiantravel said:

but how do you know they were bone fide? how many stories of the been on this forum about impersonation of police officers?

and if they were genuine are we suddenly living in East Berlin?

So, you don't figure there were teams of cops interviewing people randomly all over town after the temple bombing?  And establishing their authenticity or insisting on going down to the station may have given the bad guys more time to get away?  

Takes 30 seconds to show them your ID and speed them on their way.

They ask you to pee in a cup?  That's different.  That doesn't seem to be the case here.

Edited by impulse

3 minutes ago, tropo said:

If the Thai was dressed in official police uniform, then it's obvious the foreigner was there as a police volunteer just to facilitate communication. IMO asking for ID was not necessary in this case.

This was the main reason why i was OK with giving them my drivers license, he was clearly in a official uniform.

15 minutes ago, tropo said:

Agreed.

I would wager that a guy who can scrounge up a police uniform and the balls to wear it in public would have no problem getting a fake ID.

Not only not necessary, but pretty silly to think it would be meaningful in determining whether the guy was an impostor.

• Like 2