Longer (more frequent) UK visitor visas 2 or 5 years

Anyone done one of these new 2 or 5 year UK visit visas ?? I got an email about them earlier in the year but cant find it now.

We would seem a prime candidate(s).. My wifes visited the UK every summer for the last 3 or 4 years, and in total been another couple of times over the last decade. Always adhered perfectly to all visa conditions.

I need to spend more time in the UK.. Started a new Business.. Mums not getting any younger.. And currently enjoying UK/Euro summers more than asian wet season frankly. 

We have no desire to relocate to the UK full time, or for our future, otherwise I would start ILR for her. We have a home in Thailand, cars in Thailand, a dog who will remain in Thailand, etc. Our life is here. 

I envisage her spending 3 months mid summer with 2 other one month or so trips annually.. A multi year visa with even 3 months (assume it will be 6 though) per visit would be perfect. Save applying and re-applying with the documents each time, also helpful to have it done once and not leave her worrying, me not booking flights, half made plans. 

Readily available assets to afford it, lots of family who can vouch for us and write letters of invite, offer homes to stay in, etc etc etc. 

When I look on VFS I see no way to even apply for this ?? It assumes visit visas are 6 months. 

They're not really new, longer term visas have been available for years and are available for applicants who can demonstrate that they need to visit the UK on a regular basis. I have it on good authority that the UKVI are quite keen to issue these visas to suitably qualified applicants, and your wife seems to fit the bill.

My girlfriend and I regularly visit the UK she applied, and was issued with one a couple of years ago. Of course she needed to demonstrate that she was going to visit regularly, we'd been visiting for a number of years, and had to demonstrate her ties here in Thailand.

Even with this visa she still had to satisfy the Border Force Officer that the Port of Entry that she was a genuine visitor and it was likely she would leave the UK at the conclusion of her visit, she didn't encounter any problems on any visit.

The visa allows the holder to remain in the UK for up to six months in any twelve month period.

You apply for the visa via the visa4uk website, the same way as you applied for other visas, though it's a new website. The Gov.uk website gives more details of the longer term visas available standard-visitor-visa

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

They're not really new, longer term visas have been available for years and are available for applicants who can demonstrate that they need to visit the UK on a regular basis. I have it on good authority that the UKVI are quite keen to issue these visas to suitably qualified applicants, and your wife seems to fit the bill.

My girlfriend and I regularly visit the UK she applied, and was issued with one a couple of years ago. Of course she needed to demonstrate that she was going to visit regularly, we'd been visiting for a number of years, and had to demonstrate her ties here in Thailand.

Even with this visa she still had to satisfy the Border Force Officer that the Port of Entry that she was a genuine visitor and it was likely she would leave the UK at the conclusion of her visit, she didn't encounter any problems on any visit.

The visa allows the holder to remain in the UK for up to six months in any twelve month period.

You apply for the visa via the visa4uk website, the same way as you applied for other visas, though it's a new website. The Gov.uk website gives more details of the longer term visas available standard-visitor-visa

OG, can I seek clarification on this:-

Does that literally mean a rolling 12 calendar months from the first date of entry (obviously limited to the visa expiry date).

Yes, you can spend six months in the UK in any twelve month period.
There isn't actually any law that says you can only spend six months any twelve month period, it's a convention rather than a law, though you would need compelling reasons to exceed it, and you might encounter problems on subsequent visits or applications if you did.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

My Wife has held a number of UK Visit Visas each of increasing duration (6, 12, 24 months and now 5 years). 

It has always been my understanding that she could remain in the UK for up to 6 months in any 12 month period. 

That said, I have never had this confirmed, we only ever visit for a few weeks and return (usually twice per year). 

I have wondered how this is tracked, there is no Immigration upon exit from the UK (i.e. where someone is 'stamped' out of the country). Perhaps immigration is tied in to ticketing ??

Carriers now collect information on behalf of the UKBA and have been doing so for a year or so, I think they are identifying overstayers rather than tracking regular visitors.
The UKBA do have access to airline manifestos and ticketing but I suspect they are more interested in people of note rather than tracking.

• Like 1

Standard visit visa holders can normally spend a maximum of 6 months per visit in the UK.

But, as theoldgit says, there is no actual rule on how long they can spend in the UK in any particular period through regular visits.

However, from the Home Office visit visa guidance

Frequent or successive visits: how to assess if an applicant is making the UK their main home or place of work

There is no specified maximum period which an individual can spend in the UK in any period such as ‘6 months in 12 months’. However, if it is clear from an individual’s travel history that they are making the UK their home you should refuse their application.

See also 'Long-term visit visas (multiple entry)' from that document.

Remember, too, that the longer the term applied for the higher the fee and should the ECO decide for some reason to grant a shorter period than that requested that there will be no refund of the difference in the fees.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

Carriers now collect information on behalf of the UKBA and have been doing so for a year or so, I think they are identifying overstayers rather than tracking regular visitors.
The UKBA do have access to airline manifestos and ticketing but I suspect they are more interested in people of note rather than tracking.

"Carriers now collect information on behalf of the UKBA", a key phrase for those thinking of bending the rules.

There is no completely satisfactory visa type for someone intending to regularly stay in the UK for longer periods over years.

A six month visit visa does allow up to six months at a time, as would a longer term visit visa. The risk is that even with a longer visa an immigration officer may decide that the longer stay visitors are trying to by pass the settlement rules.

Not sure anyone has decided what the actual limits are so it gets decided every time someone tries to enter the UK.

Someone travelling to and from the UK for stays of a couple of months at a time does not seem to even raise eyebrows. Someone staying for 5½ months then going back for the rest of the year just might.

My then GF was granted a 3 year VV last year despite only having known one another for a matter of months. (They no longer offer three year visas. They were the same price as a 2 year.) The main reason was that we didn’t want to rush into marriage but I dropped the ball completely as I thought at the time that we could go to say, Turkey for a holiday for two weeks and then she could come straight back to the UK.

We ended up going for Settlement...

From what you have said there is no reason why your wife wouldn't get it. Just make sure you dot the i's and cross the t's in the application. A real bummer if you applied for ten years and they gave you two as they get expensive.

4 hours ago, rasg said:

but I dropped the ball completely as I thought at the time that we could go to say, Turkey for a holiday for two weeks and then she could come straight back to the UK.

Thats actually one of my problems.. I am working outside of the UK, and would like her to come to Paris, Amsterdam, some of the Euro capitals in the next couple of years. Still simply applying for schengen visa here when needed would still be easier. 

Looks like this is worth pursuing. Will try to get onto it early spring. 

12 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Standard visit visa holders can normally spend a maximum of 6 months per visit in the UK.

But, as theoldgit says, there is no actual rule on how long they can spend in the UK in any particular period through regular visits.

Remember, too, that the longer the term applied for the higher the fee and should the ECO decide for some reason to grant a shorter period than that requested that there will be no refund of the difference in the fees.

12 hours ago, 7by7 said:

The reason for my question about how the "6 months stay in any 12 months" is assessed is two-fold:-

1. Apart from the likes of 'Livin in LOS'who regularly dip in and out of the UK I can't see any benefit of a 2 or 5 year visa on cost grounds. At $472 or $768 versus $111 (for a 6 month visa) there is heck of a premium for 'convenience'.

Six months in any 12 months equates to 12 months in any 24 months in my book and (IF you know and can plan your travel dates) surely 2 x 6 month visas makes better sense.

2. A friend, who is unable to 'evidence' sufficient income for a settlement visa, brings his wife over to the UK for 6 months every year (and he visits Thailand for 2 months). He was asking whether a 2 year visa would be better - I really cannot see the benefit in that.

The cost factor is almost an irrelevance.. Its a few 100 quid difference, thats a weekend in a european hotel. 

Its about having a longer period where we can just go "you back at the UK house in a week ??.. Yeah sure, pack your bags" and she can hop a plane.. Its the spontaneity, the freedom, her not having to schelp to Bangkok, often alone to make a nerve wracking visa app without any assistance or support.. 

Its the factor if I get a call about my Mums health we phone her family to come and take care our dog and run for the next plane.. 

I mean the idea we could save 5 years of that problem for 600 quid ?? Not even a consideration.

11 hours ago, rasg said:

but I dropped the ball completely as I thought at the time that we could go to say, Turkey for a holiday for two weeks and then she could come straight back to the UK.

Just to double check, as this is / was on my radar.. 

I know you cannot apply for a 3rd country visa, while on a visit visa to the uk.. But are you saying we cannot get for example a Dutch Schengen visa (backed up by many Dutch mates I have) or a French visit visa to go for a weekend in Paris, and that if a Schengen visa is granted in Thailand, we cannot go to the UK, head over to the continent, have some time there, and then return to the UK ?? As part of a summer tour ?? 

This is on my mind both as I am now working throughout Europe, will probably establish an unofficial (not registered resident) crash pad somewhere in the Benelux and would like my wife to see some European capitals. Shes been to UK and Ireland so many times now summers are becoming a little routine. Spicing that up with some Paris, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Rome etc would show her a 'western' she's yet to see. 

I am debating if southern Europe doesnt offer a better quality of life than Asia and showing her a little high life there wouldnt hurt. Thats 5 or 10 years away probably though.

26 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

The cost factor is almost an irrelevance.. Its a few 100 quid difference, thats a weekend in a european hotel. 

Its about having a longer period where we can just go "you back at the UK house in a week ??.. Yeah sure, pack your bags" and she can hop a plane.. Its the spontaneity, the freedom, her not having to schelp to Bangkok, often alone to make a nerve wracking visa app without any assistance or support.. 

Its the factor if I get a call about my Mums health we phone her family to come and take care our dog and run for the next plane.. 

I mean the idea we could save 5 years of that problem for 600 quid ?? Not even a consideration.

I understand.

But not everyone's circumstances are like yours and, in the case of my friend, where the travel dates are planned and fixed, the 600 Quid is better spent on the family.

As I said earlier, "convenience" seems to be the only tangible benefit.

Sure.. If you have fixed 'summer holidays' like I have been having.. With everyone travelling from Thailand, doing the visit, coming home.. I doubt I would be that concerned either. 

My other factor is I have started a business that Pan European, and what I do is a kind of problem solving / damage limitation role a lot of the time. I often cant predict where I will be be next week and how long I am free for. If I was to book a visa applied break for her, and something kicks off and I have to be present, she has to sit alone in UK until my indefinite return or maybe come back to Thailand for a few weeks until I have clear time again. 

Its this kind of flexibility and freedom which would be gold for me. A few years to simply not think about it, grow this business, and see where our life ends up. I can see a villa in Portugal being a far more suitable option to allow me to make a much wealthier lifestyle for us. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

I know you cannot apply for a 3rd country visa, while on a visit visa to the uk.. But are you saying we cannot get for example a Dutch Schengen visa (backed up by many Dutch mates I have) or a French visit visa to go for a weekend in Paris, and that if a Schengen visa is granted in Thailand, we cannot go to the UK, head over to the continent, have some time there, and then return to the UK ?? As part of a summer tour ?? 

This is on my mind both as I am now working throughout Europe, will probably establish an unofficial (not registered resident) crash pad somewhere in the Benelux and would like my wife to see some European capitals. Shes been to UK and Ireland so many times now summers are becoming a little routine. Spicing that up with some Paris, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Rome etc would show her a 'western' she's yet to see. 

I have no doubt that you can do that. The limitation comes if she has already spent 180 days in the UK in the 12 month period and instead of heading back to the UK, she has to go back to Thailand.

Yes. I have no doubt that people will chime in saying that the 180 rule is only a guideline. I didn’t want to put it to the test and find that some over zealous immigration officer decides that she had spent too long in the UK and was trying to circumvent settlement and then sent her home when she tried to reenter the UK. It was easier to get married for us as we wanted to spend all of our time together and my wife likes the UK a lot.

With a lot of help from here I've spent a couple of hours checking how easily she can get a Schengen visa for Iceland for a few days as my wife is here on FLR and the rules and requirements are a lot less onerous.  And if you bypass VFS and go to the Embassy the visa is free too.

• Like 1

Ahh now I understand.. Thanks for clarity.. 

I cant see 180 days cropping up.. couple of weeks springtime.. couple of months summer.. couple of weeks Autumn.. 3 - 4 months total would be my guess. 

Definitely going to try for it, always been pretty lucky with visas over the years, and a 5 year pass would be a big weight off my mind. We really honestly have no desire to settle in the UK, it is the perfect case use for our situation. Just will be a question of can I back that up with enough documentary evidence to let them see that. 

Any tips our pointers from those who have successfully gained a longer visitor visa, gratefully received. 

1 hour ago, LivinLOS said:

I cant see 180 days cropping up.. couple of weeks springtime.. couple of months summer.. couple of weeks Autumn.. 3 - 4 months total would be my guess. 

Definitely going to try for it, always been pretty lucky with visas over the years, and a 5 year pass would be a big weight off my mind. We really honestly have no desire to settle in the UK, it is the perfect case use for our situation. Just will be a question of can I back that up with enough documentary evidence to let them see that. 

Any tips our pointers from those who have successfully gained a longer visitor visa, gratefully received. 

The other issue (and I think Old Git has ommented before) is that a Thai national "must" apply for a Schengen visa from an embassy in her home country.

That would prevent your theory of hopping over to France for a bit of shopping.

Frankly, I find that ridiculous - especially for someone involved in diverse international travel.

2 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Any reason why you are not applying for the 10 year (It is only £152 more) ? My wife recently got a 10 year visitor visa, details of the documents submitted here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/944188-uk-10-year-visitor-visa-criteria/#comment-11326207

Edited by TheLobster
Correction

2 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

The common idea is not to apply for a long Visa at the first application but to increase the duration of visa each time you apply..... i.e. 6 months, 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, 5 years... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jip99 said:

The other issue (and I think Old Git has ommented before) is that a Thai national "must" apply for a Schengen visa from an embassy in her home country.

That would prevent your theory of hopping over to France for a bit of shopping.

Frankly, I find that ridiculous - especially for someone involved in diverse international travel.

Yeah but we could add a schengen when shes in Thailand, and it comes with less stress as if it fails, well it doesnt cause a drama just less highlights. 

51 minutes ago, TheLobster said:

Any reason why you are not applying for the 10 year (It is only £152 more) ? My wife recently got a 10 year visitor visa, details of the documents submitted here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/944188-uk-10-year-visitor-visa-criteria/#comment-11326207

Only I assumed the 5 year was easier to get.. and god knows whats happening in life in 5 years.. 

Shes only done standard VFS tourist apps so far.. I think they are 6 months visas but need to check the passport before I call that very sure. 

I will read through your thread with interest.. Thanks

Edited by LivinLOS

3 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Yeah but we could add a schengen when shes in Thailand, and it comes with less stress as if it fails, well it doesnt cause a drama just less highlights. 

That is a very philosophical approach to take - but I don't think it is fair on you, or your wife, that you MIGHT miss out. I see no reason why you should not be able to apply for a Schengen visa wherever you are - spontaneous things, and special offers, do happen.

9 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Just to double check, as this is / was on my radar.. 

I know you cannot apply for a 3rd country visa, while on a visit visa to the uk.. But are you saying we cannot get for example a Dutch Schengen visa (backed up by many Dutch mates I have) or a French visit visa to go for a weekend in Paris, and that if a Schengen visa is granted in Thailand, we cannot go to the UK, head over to the continent, have some time there, and then return to the UK ?? As part of a summer tour ??.

The usual rule for Schengen visas is that one must apply in one's country of residence.

However, if you are the qualifying family member of an EEA national, e.g. spouse, and will be travelling with or to join them then you can apply anywhere, resident or not.

So, assuming you are an EEA national, your wife can apply for a Schengen visa in the UK whilst there as a visitor.

If you're British then what effect Brexit will have on this we will have to wait and see, of course.

Wherever a Schengen visa is applied for they are valid for all Schengen states and usually multiple entry. UK standard visit visas are also usually multi entry.

So, for example, Thailand to UK to France to UK to The Netherlands to UK to Thailand all on one trip should be possible with a UK visit visa and a Schengen visa.

Provided, of course, both visas remain valid throughout her stay in the relevant countries.

As said, the '6 months out of 12' is not a rule. If on entry to the UK the Border Force officer has any queries they will look at the frequency and duration of past visits and the intentions for this visit. If satisfied that, on the balance of probabilities, the person seeking entry is a genuine visitor and not using a frequent visits to by pass the settlement rules and actually live in the UK then they will allow entry. 

In other words, no visa runs!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LivinLOS said:

Really ?? I wanted a schengen visa before when she was in the UK on a visit visa and was told that it wasnt a possible place to apply from. Seems that may have been bad info. 

Thanks.. 

That info is consistent with what I had been told.

On 12/10/2016 at 9:32 AM, LivinLOS said:

Really ?? I wanted a schengen visa before when she was in the UK on a visit visa and was told that it wasnt a possible place to apply from. Seems that may have been bad info. 

Thanks.. 

It was bad info, I personally know some that have done it to Amsterdam and Spain.

The Schengen handbook says there must be an acceptable reason and there are a few examples listed, it is possible some embassies may take a different view on what would be acceptable. The main criteria is that it would have been, or would be, impractical to apply for the visa in the home country.

The guy that took his girlfriend to Amsterdam just said it was a last minute special offer.

I can't find anything official at the moment; but I do know of people via this and other forums who are a British citizen and whose Thai spouse has applied for and been granted a Schengen visa in the UK whilst here as a visitor, provided they will be travelling with or to join their British spouse.

To deny the Thai, or other non EEA national, spouse the ability to do so would restrict the freedom of movement rights of the British spouse and so be against the directive.