West Ham Thread

EastSaxCol

West Ham have signed fitness coach Donough Holohan from Colchester, previous clubs include Hull and Preston. Now lm not knocking his ability but if this is the club's response to the injury crisis then lm flabbergasted.

lt appears we will not be spending much in the summer, so if we are relying on getting our A team fit then l would have thought solving the injury problems would have been of paramount importance.

Man Utd employ a team of top sports scientists, and l think it shows, last season they played many more games than us with no injury crisis.

What cost more 2 or 3 good sport scientists or 1 striker ??? :D:D

Well, i found this, worrying, it is for me ????

http://www.gazette-news.co.uk/mostpopular....jury_layoff.php

I think an awful lot of our problems this season has come from our fitness side of things, or lack of it to be more acruate.

The players pre match warm up now is back to the Whitton era, the odd ball being kicked at goal and plenty of chatting and laughing around ????

Stuart Ayles had them buzzing, they would do a proper warm up and the benefits of his work was plain to see.

I understand Tony Flynn is the physio, but he looks more like a dart player (if you know what I mean) anyone who was at Yeovil and saw when Stuart Ayles took his shirt off would know he certainly practises what he preaches and perhaps this Donough Holohan isn't all that hot either.

I would be a lot happier to see less of the clowning around like we are top of the league and a lot more serious stuff going on.

=======

Have to agree with a lot of that, although McLeods injury wasn't down to that since he hadn't been here a week.

A lot of things have gone back to the Whitton era unfortunately. Phil Parkinson brought this club forward leaps and bounds in terms of professionalism, the fitness and motivation levels improved dramatically and a winning mentality was instilled in the players. We did well in cup competitions which had been a major problem for many years.

We are now back to getting knocked out as early as possible in cups by lower league opposition, the fitness levels are way down, the professionalism has disappeared and mistakes at both ends of the pitch are continually made. Williams doesn't have a clue how to change a game whereas Parkinson often did. The players don't look interested most of the time and the winning mentality has gone, we can no longer string two wins together and even getting one consecutive win has been very rare this season.

===========

But the good news, Gudjohnsson will be a West Ham Player before i jet off to the N America Tour, i'll have 20 THB of anyone's money. ??? :o

l think you're right about Gudjohnsson, lucky git off to America then ?? 17 th July West Ham play Richmond and Hampton Borough, my sister lives in Richmond, so we thought we would push the boat out.

l will watching with interest to see who makes it off the physio's treatment table for this one.

Bobby Zamora and John Pantsil are talking to Fulham with a view to a move, l for one will be sad to see Bobby go, he always gave 100% to the cause and is West Ham through and through.

Never really saw much of Pantsil but l think he was better coming forward than defending, bit of an achillies heel that one !!!

Sunderland have had a bid for McCartney turned down, really hope we are not selling George my hammer of the season by long way.

Hope Anton follows Rio out of Upton Park, l really don't rate him he does'nt do the basics well enough, Gabbidon when fit is a much better option.

:o:D

Bobby Zamora and John Pantsil are talking to Fulham with a view to a move, l for one will be sad to see Bobby go, he always gave 100% to the cause and is West Ham through and through.

Never really saw much of Pantsil but l think he was better coming forward than defending, bit of an achillies heel that one !!!

Sunderland have had a bid for McCartney turned down, really hope we are not selling George my hammer of the season by long way.

Hope Anton follows Rio out of Upton Park, l really don't rate him he does'nt do the basics well enough, Gabbidon when fit is a much better option.

:

West Ham United can confirm that the club has received an approach from Fulham for the transfer of Bobby Zamora and John Pantsil.

The club is looking forward to an exciting new season with a fully-fit squad including the return of Kieron Dyer and Craig Bellamy along with Dean Ashton secured on a long-term contract. Added to the form of Carlton Cole and the emergence of Freddie Sears, the decision has been made to let Fulham speak to the two players. West Ham United CEO Scott Duxbury said: "We recognise that Bobby Zamora and John Pantsil have had limited first-team opportunities last season at West Ham United. They want to play regular first-team football and we have given permission for them to speak to Fulham with a view to concluding a move."

What's the price on Zams scoring against us ? :o

Come to think of it has there ever been a palyer who has left us and did'nt come back and score ??? :D

Bywater and Carroll :o Though I can't remember Tony Cottee or Pop Robson (one of my favourite strikers) scoring on their returns though I have a selective memory which can be claret and blue tinted. :D

Come to think of it has there ever been a palyer who has left us and did'nt come back and score ??? :D

Bywater and Carroll :o Though I can't remember Tony Cottee or Pop Robson (one of my favourite strikers) scoring on their returns though I have a selective memory which can be claret and blue tinted. :D

I don't think that Cottee ever scored against us either. Though that at least partially because we were in the old second when he went to Everton. Remember his first game back in a Cup match. He couldn't handle it and was substituted not long after half time.

Pop ? I'd be surprised if he didn't score against us. But too long ago to say for sure. And of course Dicks in his long and illustrious career as a Liverpool player. :D

Pleased to see that Nani is making an impression then...

Hammers sign 'Swiss Beckham' Behrami, signalling Neill switch to Man City

Lucas Neill moved a step closer to joining Manchester City last night after West Ham agreed a deal with Lazio right-back Valon Behrami.

The 23-year old Switzerland defender flew into London for a medical after activating a FIFA rule that will allow him to become a West Ham player for a fraction of Lazio’s original asking price.

West Ham will sign Behrami for less than a third of his initial £11m valuation after he informed Lazio he was invoking article 17, which gives players nearing the end of their contracts the right to move on without costing a fee.

Lazio will be entitled to compensation and are seeking over £3m, but West Ham are hoping to settle on around £1.5m for a versatile defender who started all three of Switzerland’s Euro 2008 matches.

Kosovo-born Behrami, whose Italian model girlfriend Elena Bonzanni should add some glamour to Upton Park, chose West Ham ahead of Palermo and Werder Bremen.

His arrival casts further uncertainty over Neill’s West Ham future.

Sportsmail revealed that City manager Mark Hughes was keen to revive their Blackburn partnership, and a move looks even likelier after the Australia defender was left in little doubt he would be competing for the left-back spot if he remained at Upton Park.

With just 12 months left on his contract, he seems sure to opt for a fresh start at Eastlands.

SportsMail apparently

PS

it's the Daily Mail who are also reporting that we're bankrupt. Still minus Neill's 60k pw that should go some way in redressing the balance. :o

Lucas Neill moved a step closer to joining Manchester City last night after West Ham agreed a deal with Lazio right-back Valon Behrami.

The 23-year old Switzerland defender flew into London for a medical after activating a FIFA rule that will allow him to become a West Ham player for a fraction of Lazio's original asking price.

West Ham will sign Behrami for less than a third of his initial £11m valuation after he informed Lazio he was invoking article 17, which gives players nearing the end of their contracts the right to move on without costing a fee.

Lazio will be entitled to compensation and are seeking over £3m, but West Ham are hoping to settle on around £1.5m for a versatile defender who started all three of Switzerland's Euro 2008 matches.

Kosovo-born Behrami, whose Italian model girlfriend Elena Bonzanni should add some glamour to Upton Park, chose West Ham ahead of Palermo and Werder Bremen.

His arrival casts further uncertainty over Neill's West Ham future.

Sportsmail revealed that City manager Mark Hughes was keen to revive their Blackburn partnership, and a move looks even likelier after the Australia defender was left in little doubt he would be competing for the left-back spot if he remained at Upton Park.

With just 12 months left on his contract, he seems sure to opt for a fresh start at Eastlands.

SportsMail apparently

PS

it's the Daily Mail who are also reporting that we're bankrupt. Still minus Neill's 60k pw that should go some way in redressing the balance. :o

Lets hope Neill goes, lost count of the amount of goals he gave away last season getting caught out of position, can't see Bellamy going though would leave us to thin at the front.

Maybe we could do a Tesco style 2 for 1 deal and throw Boa-Morte into the deal, in fact 3 for 1 would be better and we could add Lazyberg !! :D:D:D Although maybe l'm being a bit hard of Freddie, because he is giving up international football to concentrate on West Ham.............. lazy f#####g tw## !!!!!!!!!

In the US now Chaps, if you want to PM me your email addresses i'd be more than happy to send you Pics of the Game in Columbus on Sunday & then Toronto next Thursday ??

Can't wait, only 2 days to Columbus.. :o

COYI

Got down to Richmond last night for the game, and l have to say l was pleasantly surprised. The team looked sharp, playing some lovely passing football and there were some good individual performances. Richmond were throwing in the tackles, and on numerous occasions l watched in horror as our prized assests had to do the high jump to avoid the impending carnage !!

Bellamy looked better than is 2 goals suggested, some intelligent link up play with Ashton and good work off the ball all added up to a polished performance on the night. Ashton l'm pleased to say has'nt eaten all the pies in the close season and a reasonable run out.

The star of the night for me, and l hope l don't jinx him was Julian Faubert, some great runs down the wing followed by some good crosses into the box, he looked sharp all night, as he did last year right before his achilles tendon snapped !!

Nice to see the youngsters playing their part as well, everyone had a good run out. Curbishley looked very fresh and tanned and much as l don't rate him l think we have to get behind him for the season now and see what he can deliver.

Lovely to see the reception ' Dev ' got off the crowd last night, for me a true West Ham legend.

Changing from last night, intresting to read the Robert Green statement on the club website today, as l understand it Green is one of the lowest earners at the club and his deal won't be looked at again until next year. Now l can see the board's point of view, he signed a new 5 year deal last year and the review is not schueled until 2009, but you have to see Greenie's point of view he probably signed before the club took on Neil and Lazyberg for god knows how much a week, and now rightly so he wants a reward for his contribution last year. If Boa-Morte, Neill and Lazyberg were paid by effort during games then they would all be driving Vauxhall Corsa's this year !!!

Get rid of the dead wood and pay Greenie what he deserves, without him we would have been bottom half for sure.

Well next match for me is Southampton 1st Aug, unlike some lucky gits who are in America now !! :o:D

Thanks for that Mark, i'm looking forward to see Faubert probably the most actually. I heard that the Guy who scored for Hampton actually works for West Ham in the IT Department & Curbishley told him he shouldn't come to work the following day ?? :D

I'll send you an email in a minute so you can add me to your Contacts..

Heading to Columbus tomorrow.. :o

As Fulham Fan Zamora seems good enough piece of business, im sure he will bury it in the back of your net when we meet each other next season at Upton Park :D Pansil i dont really know to much about but i back Hodgsons judgements as he's a goof manager.

Hope you guys have good season, im sorry but you were ripped off on Boa Morte..his last season for us he was crap and we cashed in at the right point... :o

As Fulham Fan Zamora seems good enough piece of business, im sure he will bury it in the back of your net when we meet each other next season at Upton Park :D Pansil i dont really know to much about but i back Hodgsons judgements as he's a goof manager.

Hope you guys have good season, im sorry but you were ripped off on Boa Morte..his last season for us he was crap and we cashed in at the right point... :D

Bobby Zamora eh, Well he's a West Ham boy and maybe this had both a negative and positive impact on his game with us. Positive because he would work his gonads off for the cause and would rise to the challenge when it really mattered. However he was often not cool or clinical enough to finish moves off. While he could score the odd spectacular goal, he was often hopeless when it came to simpler chances. Now that he has gone to Fulham It might not mean as much to him and he will relax more and take his chances, etc. As for Johnny Paintsil he became a bit of a cult figure but falls between two stools. He's not strong enough to play full back but He's not skillfull enough or fast enough to play in midfield. He'll give you 100 % but this might not be enough to help stave off the Wolves and the call of the fizzy :o , I'm afraid. However the clubs that have come up seem to be a little bit worse than Fulham at the moment so your club might scrape by. As for the dead snake you gave us well He did start to improve as last season wore on. So he will continue to be a useful but a fringe member of the squad. As for Hodgeson being a 'goof' manager was that a Freudian slip or do you mean good? :D He makes Alan Curbishley look charismatic :D

Courtesy of Match Reporter over on WHO

The rain threatened oh so briefly on what turned out to be a pleasant July evening in South West London.

Alan Devonshire and his Hampton and Richmond side gave a warm welcome to a record crowd of 3100+ to the Beveree Stadium for West Hams first pre-season fixture of the season.

Alan Curbishley fielded a strong looking side pairing Craig Bellamy and Dean Ashton in attack backed up by a strong looking midfield and a so so defence with Joe Widdowson coming in at left back and Callum Davenport playing his first game since his broken neck alongside Anton Ferdinand and Captain Lucas Neill.

West Ham started slowly with Hampton having the lion share of the play but neither side really threatened until West Ham IT worker Francis Quarm hit a 20 yarder beyond the reach of Rob Green to put the host into a deserved 1-0 lead.

Hamptons lead wasn’t to last long, Craig Bellamy who on the night was head and shoulders above any other player finished the first decent West Ham move of the match to level the scores.

And the hosts would have considered themselves unlucky to go into the break a goal down after Dean Ashton played the ball into the path of Mark Noble who scored under pressure from the Hampton defence.

Alan Curbishley made 3 changes at the break, Hayden Mullins who could have played his last game for the club was replaced by Scott Parker, Mark Noble was replaced by Welsh International Jack Collison and Dean Ashton was replaced by Carlton Cole and all 3 turned in performances better than those they replaced.

West Ham started the second half in control of the game, Craig Bellamy added a 3rd goal and his 2nd of the game after a rare decent cross for the very disappointing Julian Faubert who looked off the pace against the part timers and as Parker and the impressive Collison took control the result was never really in doubt.

However Hampton did get themselves back in the game, Jimmy Walker replaced Rob Green in goal and his first task was to pick the ball out of the back of the net after Yaku finished off a great move that their football purest manager would have been proud to be involved in.

Curbishley made further changes, Spence replaced Neill, Tony Stokes replaced Kyle Reid who once again failed to take his chance and impress and Zaron Hines replaced Man of the Match Bellamy and it was Hines who secured the victory with 8 minutes to go. Stokes played a slide rule pass for Hines to run onto and Hines slotted the ball home to make the score line a rather flattering 2 goals to 4.

Rob Green 6 – Didn’t have a great deal to do apart from pick the pick the ball out of the net of the bloke who maintains West Ham’s computers.

Joe Widdowson 6 – Not a bad game, not a great game, you just get the feeling he lacks that certain something to break into the first team squad.

Callum Davenport 5 – Great to see him back after such a nasty injury and win almost everything in the air but even the part timers of Hampton worried him on the floor. Destined for the door and a return to the Championship I think.

Anton Ferdinand 6 – A pretty typical Anton performance to be honest, brilliant at times and useless on the odd occasion but why would we want to sell him?

Lucas Neill 4 – A real disappointment, I’ve defended Neill and was hoping to see a return to the player we signed but instead I just got the same Neill from last season who gave the ball away cheaply.

Julian Faubert 3 – Another big disappointment, one great cross for Bellamy is nothing like what’s required against opposition of this calibre.

Mark Noble 6 – Did OK and scored a goal, he was his normal busy self and difficult to really judge alongside Mullins.

Hayden Mullins 4 – Well he’s steady isn’t he?

Kyle Reid 4 – Another chance goes begging. He just doesn’t do enough to warrant a real challenge to the left wing.

Craig Bellamy 8 – Yes it was Hampton but he looks the perfect player. He lightening quick, aggressive and has the eye for the odd goal or 2. I can see a massive season IF he can stay fit.

Dean Ashton 6 – Was looking for a bit more and him to look a bit fitter but showed some nice touches.

Jimmy Walker 6 – Didn’t have a great deal to do bar pick the ball out of the net

Jordan Spence – Under 10 minutes but its progress from a young player that has every chance of making it.

Junior Stanislaw 6 – Struggled to get involved

but played the odd nice touch.

Scott Parker 6 – The engine room of the midfield, another who threatens a big season IF he can stay fit.

Jack Collision 7 – He’s got it all, he break the play down, can tackle and can pass. Put in a really good 45 minutes.

Tony Stokes – Just 11 minutes to impress and picked out a wonderful pass for the 4th goal

Aaron Hines – Again, just the 11 minutes but a goal, so he can be pleased with his contribution.

Carlton Cole 7 – Should have gone instead of Zamora? Not on this performance. Link well with Bellamy, put himself about and forced their keeper into the outstanding save of the game.

Hi all, greeting from the beautiful US of A..:o

Ok firstly, the trouble has been blown out of all proportions, it was nowhere near as bad as it is being made out in the Press, i didn't see any punches thrown at all, it was juts American WH who seemed to get far too excited for the fact that we were there & they was getting a little boisterous but it was really just handbags..

Football was great, a good workout & a good win with Bellamy & Ashton playing most of the Game. We've got a Boy at Left Back from Forest Gate ( where i'm from ) called Joe Widdowson & he looks fantastic, really good little Player.

Faubert didn't impress me at all though & his touch was quite simply poor.

Will write more from Toronto..:D

Hope you guys have good season, im sorry but you were ripped off on Boa Morte..his last season for us he was crap and we cashed in at the right point... :D

Says the Man who's Team have just paid 6.3m for Zamora & Pantsil... :o

The 23-year old Switzerland defender flew into London for a medical after activating a FIFA rule that will allow him to become a West Ham player for a fraction of Lazio's original asking price.

Lazio will be entitled to compensation and are seeking over £3m, but West Ham are hoping to settle on around £1.5m for a versatile defender who started all three of Switzerland's Euro 2008 matches.

His arrival casts further uncertainty over Neill's West Ham future.

SportsMail apparently

PS

Lets hope Neill goes, lost count of the amount of goals he gave away last season getting caught out of position, can't see Bellamy going though would leave us to thin at the front.

Maybe we could do a Tesco style 2 for 1 deal and throw Boa-Morte into the deal, in fact 3 for 1 would be better and we could add Lazyberg !! :D:D:D Although maybe l'm being a bit hard of Freddie, because he is giving up international football to concentrate on West Ham.............. lazy f#####g tw## !!!!!!!!!

Neill is not on 60k don't believe the press,i know a guy who is friends with Neills dad in Oz,he is on 34k a week plus bonuses.

Says the Man who's Team have just paid 6.3m for Zamora & Pantsil... :D

SHH. Zamora scored in the 2-0 win over Celtic at the weekend. Pantsil I'll give you though - even on a free, but as it 'appens -- result. :o

Edited by chutai

Thank you West Ham United for a great MLS All-Star match. And, thank you for losing. :o

Dean Ashton, great player.

I didn't see the line up of WHUFC but I know Callum Davenport was playing which makes me think that It was just a run out for the fringe players and a chance for the regulars to get a few games under their belts. Nothing serious just a little kick in the grass. :D

Thank you West Ham United for a great MLS All-Star match. And, thank you for losing. :o

Dean Ashton, great player.

I didn't see the line up of WHUFC but I know Callum Davenport was playing which makes me think that It was just a run out for the fringe players and a chance for the regulars to get a few games under their belts. Nothing serious just a little kick in the grass. :D

Obviously it's West Ham's preseason so of course it's not serious for them. However they played well and Faubert and Ashton were impressive. However, it means a lot more to the MLS stars so they always want to win. Thanks West Ham!