Quick questions- tires.

impulse

May be time for new tires for the 20+ year old pickup.  I only put a few thousand km a year on it- driving it just for weekend getaways.  They're not worn out as much as they're drying out.  I want basic tires that aren't going to dry rot in the first year.

1) When the tire is listed at 3,000 baht, how much am I really going to get dinged for a set of 4 including tax, mounting, balancing, disposal fees, etc?

2) Are there any brands that represent a good value, or any brands I need to steer clear of?   (195-R14 or 205-R14 limits my choices)

Thanks in advance.

Edit:  I promise a flame war with the first guy who suggests I upsize to 20" rims and buy a 15,000 baht (each) performance tire from Italy...

Edited by impulse

We have a Nissan NV for town trips - small, easy to park, has a box like a pickup. Save the Teana for road trips. We bought Deestone tires - Thai made. Had them 2 years now, no issues. Seem like you do not put many miles on, so worth looking at as they will get hard and crack long before you wear them out. In that case - why go for premium tires ? Ours 185/65R14

Edited by canthai55

On 12/10/2016 at 8:37 AM, Kwasaki said:

You can shop around for cheap new tyres for trucks or good s/h can be found just a case of asking around. 

Maybe say where your located would help others to give info.

My bad.  I'm in BKK around Asoke.

20 hours ago, impulse said:

My bad.  I'm in BKK around Asoke.

Have a shop around you have the most of choices for anything tyre wise in Bkk, maybe some will come on and name a place near you.

Remember l think Maxis or something like that are good but cheap, think can get at a 'B' Quick.

15 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Have a shop around you have the most of choices for anything tyre wise in Bkk, maybe some will come on and name a place near you.

Remember l think Maxis or something like that are good but cheap, think can get at a 'B' Quick.

There's half a dozen shops around me, mostly on RAMA 4.  But I've had such bad luck with Thai made bicycle tires holding air, I figured I'd ask if the local brands were any good.  Michelins came on it, and I may just suck it up and go that way for 3000 baht per tire.

I figured tires should be a slam dunk in a country that grows rubber.  But I have to put air into the bicycles every time I leave them over a week or 2.  Back when I was a kid, we pumped 'em up once a season when the weather got warm enough to dust the cobwebs off.  Even my bicycle tires in China held air better than these Thai babies.

I'm also wondering about add-on costs.  Back home, a set of 4 tires listed at $150 each will result in an invoice for $750-800 (or more) after mounting, balancing, taxes, disposal fees, etc.

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'm also wondering about add-on costs.  Back home, a set of 4 tires listed at $150 each will result in an invoice for $750-800 (or more) after mounting, balancing, taxes, disposal fees, etc.

In my experience the price per tire qouted is the all in cost. you should also get nitrogen.

2 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

In my experience the price per tire qouted is the all in cost. you should also get nitrogen.

Love that about Thailand (and China).  I don't have to add up the goodies and multiply by 1.05- 1.08 to figure out if I'll have enough pennies left over to buy that lime green jawbreaker.  Gets even more onerous when they add tree hugging surcharges.

4 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Oh no - thought that "discussion" was put to bed ! 555

Nah Thai tyres OK it's who take's care to fit them and always make sure you get new valves with new tyres.

You don't use truck or big bike much nitrogen for sure best option. :laugh:  l'll never give up. :laugh: